S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

What is the difference between polish a car, wax a car and buff a car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 Mercedes S 430(GONE), 2001 E320(GONE), 2007 S550(GONE), 2009 BMW X6(GONE), 2014 S550
What is the difference between polish a car, wax a car and buff a car?

Sorry for my english but is there any difference?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
A polish contains a mild abrasive, and is used where the paint is dirty, oxidized, or needs to have older finishes removed. However, there are variations on polishing - such as claying.

Waxing simply applies wax to the paint. However, there are many kinds of "wax" - from sophisticated, long-lasting polymers to very shiny but short-lived concours finishes. There are sealants - not technically waxes, but often used after polishing and before waxing, to fill and smooth out paint (including clear coat used in modern paint schemes).

Buffing is the process of using a soft wheel or cloth to remove excess polish, sealant, or wax in either process. There is a considerable amount of information, including hundreds of variations on the very simple explanations above, on the Detailing & Automotive Care forum.

It is not unusual for people to misuse the terms, which may cause you confusion - for example, by saying "I applied a good Meguiar's carnauba (wax) and polished it out with an xyz buffer" - when in fact, the owner buffed it after applying the wax, and did not use a "polish" at all. To understand what the person is actually saying, you must look at the context of the person's prior statements.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-20-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM

2002 Mercedes S 430(GONE), 2001 E320(GONE), 2007 S550(GONE), 2009 BMW X6(GONE), 2014 S550
Originally Posted by Skylaw
A polish contains a mild abrasive, and is used where the paint is dirty, oxidized, or needs to have older finishes removed. However, there are variations on polishing - such as claying.

Waxing simply applies wax to the paint. However, there are many kinds of "wax" - from sophisticated, long-lasting polymers to very shiny but short-lived concours finishes. There are sealants - not technically waxes, but often used after polishing and before waxing, to fill and smooth out paint (including clear coat used in modern paint schemes).

Buffing is the process of using a soft wheel or cloth to remove excess polish, sealant, or wax in either process. There is a considerable amount of information, including hundreds of variations on the very simple explanations above, on the Detailing & Automotive Care forum.

It is not unusual for people to misuse the terms, which may cause you confusion - for example, by saying "I applied a good Meguiar's carnauba (wax) and polished it out with an xyz buffer" - when in fact, the owner buffed it after applying the wax, and did not use a "polish" at all. To understand what the person is actually saying, you must look at the context of the person's prior statements.
So basically, if i will do polish they will remove upper layer on paint and put new one right? What do you think will gives my car best effect, polish?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I can tell you what has worked for me. I clay bar my car a couple of times a year. If you take your hand and run it over the car you can sometimes feel what may seem like bumps. A good clay bar will get rid of all those bumpy areas. The thing to remember with a clay bar is to keep the surface wet while doing it. You will be amazed at the amount of grit and down in dirt that you will pick up in the clay.

After clay baring it I usually wax it and buff it out very good. Then I apply some Mother's SHOWTIME over the wax. Talk about a smooth silky feel. My real test is to take a dry towel or t-shirt and toss it across the hood to watch it slide right off. I have also discovered that the best kind of cloth to use is the microfiber ones. They work really well for me.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Arlen777
So basically, if i will do polish they will remove upper layer on paint and put new one right? What do you think will gives my car best effect, polish?
Some polishes can remove a very small amount of paint (from the clearcoat). The good ones don't. You really want to avoid removing paint. Mainly, claying and good polishes free the clearcoat of grit and bonded dirt, and smooth it. However, you should check the detailing forum as recommended; the experts in such matters "live" there.

ibeforreal's suggestion is good - "claying" uses a very fine abrasive. You will find other suggestions on the detailing forum.

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-21-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:43 AM

Thnaks guys, i think it will be better to get it done by professional or it will be ok if i do it?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have doubt, let a pro do it; watch what he does.

If you're going to use a standard, bottled mild automotive "polish" or a "polish-wax" and do it by hand, you could try it yourself.

If you're going to use something more exotic - like claying - watch a pro first.

If you have never used an electric buffer, but intend to, let a pro do it.