S500 2000 Lock problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 2013 E250CDI 4-Matic
S500 2000 Lock problems

Ok, here´s what i have got

The function that automatically locks the car when exceeding 10km/h wont lock and the button for locking all locks doesn’t do anything at all when pressed.

The alarm arms and disarms and works if door is open, light in button flashes correct.

Lumbar and massage in driver’s side door don’t work.

When locking from inside (with lockbutton on the driver’s door) that door locks but no other door.

Trunk will not open, neither from the button inside the car (in the driver’s door) not from button in trunk and not from remote or with the bladekey.
Keylessgo is working as it should.

All of this stopped working at the same time one day. It was dry and sunny and the temp was -10 degrees Celsius

As I see all fuses are ok, haven’t loosened them or anything but none of them are burned.

Could this be the case of the cold weather? I had the car in a warm garage for a couple of hours not sure that it was long enough.

Tips / Ideas / Any input please..
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Your PSE pump is not working. You can try pulling and replacing its fuse, but ultimately you may have to replace the pump.

The PSE pump is located at the upper left of the trunk, on the wheel well - under a thick foam cover (brownish in color) - it has many pneumatic lines coming out of it.

You can do a search on "PSE pump" and get more information; and don't confuse it with the phone system PSE (portable support electronics).

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-07-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the fast answer mr. Skylaw

One other problem that arises is that i can not even open the trunk with the bladekey.

As i cannot see the fuse diagram (also located in the trunk) can you tell me what fuse to look out for in the fusebox?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Try the chart on page 2, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...e-chart-2.html - it will be close to yours.

Also, to open the trunk with the blade key, turn the key vertical and then push the trunk latch button.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 AM

Back in from the cold again.

Replaced the blown (i missed that the first time i checked for blown fuses)Yellow 20A fuse and VOILA! it all works again. My guess is that the cold around -20 to -25 celsius here the last days may have had to do with this problem. I will keep fingers crossed that i wont have this problem again and have to replace the PSE pump.

Still confused though why the bladekey didnt work, that should be mechanical...

What happens if this fuse blow when the car is locked will i ever get back in the car then? Are there any keyholes on the outside?

Thanks for the help Skylaw.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A look at your car would certainly tell you whether there are "holes" for the blade key. Mine has them in the driver's door handle and beside the trunk release button.

The door slot will unlock the driver door mechanically. It should work if your PSE pump fails. The trunk slot, however, does not actually unlock the trunk - it either connects or disconnects the external button for opening the trunk. That's why, after turning the slot, you still have to press the trunk's external opening button.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM

Ok i will have an examination of my car later.

This is what my trunk looks like from under:

As i understand it, when i want to open the trunk, i unlock the car and press the button with the keyhole in it?

The button on the right is that anything to do with KeylessGO?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Originally Posted by Skylaw
A look at your car would certainly tell you whether there are "holes" for the blade key. Mine has them in the driver's door handle and beside the trunk release button.

The door slot will unlock the driver door mechanically. It should work if your PSE pump fails. The trunk slot, however, does not actually unlock the trunk - it either connects or disconnects the external button for opening the trunk. That's why, after turning the slot, you still have to press the trunk's external opening button.
Question about blade key??................If I use it open my door the alarm goes off. What next? My FOB has been working intermittenly lately. I thought I read somewhere that the information cluster will warn you if the battery is low? Should I just change it out anyway??
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Flashback, how do you open your trunk when the car is completely unlocked? That's the button you push. I hope you have your Owners Manual packet, because the lock system is pretty well discussed for normal operation; so is the blade key operation.

Trudawg - the blade key opens the lock, but it doesn't disable the alarm; plus, you can't start your car with it. If you think your smartkey battery is low, replace it. https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...-pictures.html

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-08-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM

Im not pressing any button there anymore, thats for sure, it is when i press one of these the yellow fuse blows. Now i use the remote instead

Skylaw i had been blind there is a keyhole in the handle in the door.. hehe

Well, well now i am off to change airfilter and AirMassMeter.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a problem in my 2000 s500 where i couldnt open the trunk when my battery died even with the mechanical key, and i eventually got the car open, but i found out that the problem was that there is metal bar that is adjustable that connects the trunk keyhole with the actual lock and mine was too far out that is why it didnt open mechanically if you take off the trunk lid interior cover you will see it, that was a easy fix for me, also the key fob will work even if there is no batteries in the key, not to open it or anything but it will start the car if you but in the key fob in the ignition
Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benz S 320
Originally Posted by ekogutpl
i had a problem in my 2000 s500 where i couldnt open the trunk when my battery died even with the mechanical key, and i eventually got the car open, but i found out that the problem was that there is metal bar that is adjustable that connects the trunk keyhole with the actual lock and mine was too far out that is why it didnt open mechanically if you take off the trunk lid interior cover you will see it, that was a easy fix for me, also the key fob will work even if there is no batteries in the key, not to open it or anything but it will start the car if you but in the key fob in the ignition

I have a Mercedes Benz S500 year 2000 I cannot open the doors by the electronic key and when I open the driver door by mechanical key or the trunk, the key doesn't open at all.

The car was parked at the port since 10th June but a week later I opened the car without any problem but today was not able to pick the car cause I couldn't open the doors