S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65 (current), 2001 CL600 (chopped)
Originally Posted by Sendmedem
2001 S600 - I drove out of my driveway and saw a puff of what looked like smoke come from the front left wheel well. A few seconds later the car warned me in red "Active Body Control.. Drive Carefully"
I stopped the car and saw a dripping leak all over the front left, spash from the tire in the wheel well and under the hood there was a little puddle coming from seemed like under the headlamp and creeping to the middle of the rail
I am about to take some things off/apart to see what happened but If anyone knows what this could be or has had the problem please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

PS the DIY pics are no longer good if someone can repost them or has some of their own..

In front left near headlight there is a valve block and accumulator. No point in speculating, just get stuff off and look at it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz S500, 2002 Acura MDX Touring
Originally Posted by ch33sehead
Sorry but that doesn't answer the question. When you take the belt, do you still hear the groaning or does the groaning stop?
The groaning stops...and the car is as smooth as ever... Please email me at thepro1973@yahoo.com and I will send you my number. We can talk there. Appreciate any help sir. I know we spoke before.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 PM

2000 S500
ABC hydraulic system

I found these diagrams that might help someone in the future when ordering parts from the stealership. I wrote down the mercedes picture number so when people are calling they have reference to what they are talking about.

This is from 2001 S600 - ABC hydraulic system diagrams, but I'm sure other classes have the same system installed.
Attached Thumbnails ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY-photo-1.jpg   ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY-photo-2.jpg   ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY-photo-3.jpg   ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY-photo-4.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM

2005 CL65 (current), 2001 CL600 (chopped)
I emailed you back, you should have my number and/or email.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
The noise could be the new pump, I've herd bad pumps (they work fine but make a growing noise) and the pattern of the noise is not linear. Most of the time it matches the engine speed vs noise but the pressure build up makes the noise seem to change pitch often. If it absolutely mirrors the engine rpm then maybe it not the ABC pump if it does as described above my moneys on the pump. Was it new ? rebuilt or what ?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by driveability
The noise could be the new pump, I've herd bad pumps (they work fine but make a growing noise) and the pattern of the noise is not linear. Most of the time it matches the engine speed vs noise but the pressure build up makes the noise seem to change pitch often. If it absolutely mirrors the engine rpm then maybe it not the ABC pump if it does as described above my moneys on the pump. Was it new ? rebuilt or what ?
Hi Driveability,

Sorry I just saw this and you have some very good suggestions. It is a new ABC pump and not a rebuilt one. I took it to a number of technicians and got different opinions which they were kinda sure of. Go figure..!!! one said the transmission needed to be replaced as the torque converter, the bushings and the front pump was busted. The transmission people AAMCO said there was no issue with the transmission at all, my usual mechanic said there was a transmission issue, not the issue I guess. Today I have given it to another garage who does only Mercedes and BMW's and they have (not 100% though) noted it down to the Accumulator. They are pretty sure of it and have told me it will have to be done through process of elimination. I finally gave in and asked them to do it. another 400 USD .... at least it is better than 6,000 USD to replace transmission !!!!! Waiting to see what happens next.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by steadystud
Hi Driveability,

Sorry I just saw this and you have some very good suggestions. It is a new ABC pump and not a rebuilt one. I took it to a number of technicians and got different opinions which they were kinda sure of. Go figure..!!! one said the transmission needed to be replaced as the torque converter, the bushings and the front pump was busted. The transmission people AAMCO said there was no issue with the transmission at all, my usual mechanic said there was a transmission issue, not the issue I guess. Today I have given it to another garage who does only Mercedes and BMW's and they have (not 100% though) noted it down to the Accumulator. They are pretty sure of it and have told me it will have to be done through process of elimination. I finally gave in and asked them to do it. another 400 USD .... at least it is better than 6,000 USD to replace transmission !!!!! Waiting to see what happens next.
I guess the noise could sound like a torque converter to some, hard to see the converter making the same noise in P as D Hummmm . A wine type of noise is hard to isolate with one drive belt. But removing the belt would isolate it from the transmission for sure !
I did replace my line but didn't replace the pump and my pump is making a wine noise (will replace the pump this month). My pump noise is constant but does change when rpm drops quickly because the pressure I guess builds up a bit then bleeds off. Much like a turbo without a large enough blow off valve.
I look at the accumulator as a fluid shock dampener. How a wine could be created is out of my pay grade ? Maybe the block its connected to but I guess we will just have to see when your car is completed. To me the noise I have is just like a power-steering wine in sound and location. I can't here the noise I have under the hood only in the car on the driver side. Looking forward to hearing back from ya when your car is done.
John St John
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 AM

John,

You described it very methodically and you are absolutely right. I cannot hear it when my head is under the hood but only inside the car. Replacing the accumulator is just being done to implement the process of elimination. Hopefully I don't have all parts replaced under the hood as that would make me the biggest idiot around and put a smile on every technicians face around here every time I enter a garage !!! If that does not work then it is surely the new pump that is making that noise. I just replaced the engine mounts last 2 seeks ago and one of them (left) is already broken. I will have to get it back to the place when I replaced it. What a bother !!!! What is your email?? please email me with your contact at thepro1973@yahoo.com.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM

Done !!!

Finallly the humming /groaning noise went away after I changed the Accumulator !!!! Great to drive the car with its original driveability !!!!!!! Thanks all.....especialy John St John..
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM

HELP

Hi,

I have 2005 S600. This car is driving me crazy. First the left side lowered then the right along with fluid leaking from the left side. I think it is a hose from what ive read and been told. Now the car wont even start. Any idea????
Old 12-09-2014, 04:54 PM

Mercedes s500
Post Mercedes s500

I am having a simular problem with my s500 mercedes. to start I noticed i had a hydraulic fluid leak when i opened my hood i noticed the fluid was boiling. I cleaned out the valve on the driver side, also i changed the Accumulator on the driver side. After replacing all that I strted the car and only one side rose. Not sure why that happened. What could be wrong. Please email me to give me some insite on what could be wrong. stephaniesmith215@yahoo.com Thank you in advance.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
You need to exercise the system to get all of the air out before the system will work properly. Doing it with the STAR (or DAS) is the best and fastest way - that is often called "rodeo" here, because the car will buck like a rodeo horse. From what I read, you can do the same thing eventually by lifting and lowering the car with the button on the dash.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Mercedes s500
s500

Thanks Wally, We worked the button on the dash but still only the left side came up and soon as we turned the car off it just dropped back down on the tires. This is really driving me crazy .
Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Sounds like a strut or valve block problem

Either way get ready for a four figure repair bill
Old 06-26-2015, 01:10 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Any way to get these pictures up again?
Old 11-30-2015, 10:38 AM

W220/V220 S 600 BiTurbo (M275)
Hello there everybody,

first sorry for every translating mistake I may do. I'm from Germany and so my English may be kind of bad.

I own a W220 S 600 with M275 engine. It was my dad's car and after he died I got it. Now, after a longer time jacked up renewing the brakes and after a test drive, the high pressure line from tandem pump to seperation point bursted.

It took another long time since I reached the banjo screw on the pump. But it seems that I do not have the right tool to loose it.

Now the damn car could not be started since over a year and I want to repair it by myself - if the pump ain't broken, too.

Which kind of tool did you use to reach the banjo screw? I also lifted the engine up as much as possible.

Thank you for every good answer and best greetings from Germany!

Kind regards

Schmitti
Old 11-30-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Support the engine, unhook the ABC pipes and lower the front of the front subframe.

Then you can access the banjo with a long, straight socket extension. More info & a picture shortly....

Nick
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Welwynnick
(...) More info & a picture shortly....

Nick
Thank you very much. Pictures surely will help me a lot.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY-imag1140_zpsebe58a8b.jpg
Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Came to this post to learn about MB

Was assaulted by a Hillary Clinton advert!

Really???!!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Hasn't happened to me...
Old 12-06-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
s600 High Pressure Hose

Hi all:

I know I'm in the wrong forum, but this a pretty generic question and it's addressed on this thread... sort of...

I'm replacing the high pressure hose on a 2007 S600, 60,000 miles. Pic below. One that runs from the tandem pump to the valve body near the fender on the driver's side (LHD)

I don't have STAR yet and am looking for tips on a refill after making the replacement. Parts arriving Dec 8th.

Blow-out happened in my driveway, so pump has never been run dry. Doesn't seem there was much fluid loss on removing the offending hose.

Not exactly a novice at this sort of stuff, but have never messed with an ABC system... 3000 psi makes me wary of just starting the engine and getting the air out of the lines.

As said, don't have STAR. Can I just fill and start? Or, is there something I need to do before starting?

Thanks in advance for any tips... I've also posted on another non-221 forum and got help on fluid, parts etc... many thanks there...

Regards... Mark on South Padre Island, TX
Attached Thumbnails ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY-hose-pic3.jpg  
Old 12-06-2015, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
When the hose blew, did the pump empty the oil reservoir?

If it did, you have to bleed the pump, you can't simply fill the reservoir.

You can bleed the pump with a few psi of compressed air in the reservoir, or by hand-turning the pump (from the front, it turns clockwise).

Nick
Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
2007 S600, 911 & XJ8
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
When the hose blew, did the pump empty the oil reservoir?
Thanks Nick:

I thought you might respond.... We seem to think alike, but I'm new to the MB crowd...

No. The reservoir has never been empty. This burst happened as I was backing out of the garage and I parked the car immediately.

Here's some stuff I found after posting:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html

"Purging air from the system

The system will purge itself of air in the system over time. If you were doing some work and want to get the air out immediately, you can do so by using the ride height button. Cycling through the levels about 15 times is sufficient to get most of the air out of the system. The air escapes through a pinhole in the dipstick cap. The rest will work its way out over time. A rodeo procedure can help speed the process along, but it is NOT necessary."

In fact, this author says Rodeo is not a good thing (can damage good parts) and should be used sparingly. (I don't necessarily agree. If that procedure causes failure, I'd rather it happen in my garage, rather than 500 miles from home.... but everyone's entitled to an opinion...) Doesn't really apply to me... I don't have Star and can't "Rodeo"...

So, can I treat the ABC system like any other hydraulic system I've fooled with? I.e., fill and let the air work its way out? Turn the wheels a few times and use the dash button to raise and lower a few times? Or, do I need to do something more elaborate to avoid pump damage?

My Ferrari had hydraulic auto leveling, accumulators, etc., but not without springs and I'm guessing nowhere near 3000 psi pressure in the ABC system. (Ferrari used ATF in their almost totally German components, BTW....). But the more I look at this ABC system, the more I don't think I know what I'm doing....

Many thanks....Mark

Last edited by mcypert; 12-06-2015 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-06-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by mcypert
I'm replacing the high pressure hose on a 2007 S600, 60,000 miles. Pic below. One that runs from the tandem pump to the valve body near the fender on the driver's side (LHD)
Hi!

This hose looks like an air condition line to me, or like a mix between AC and hydraulic line. I guess you own a W221, don't you?

Greetings

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ABC Pump / High Pressure Hydraulic Line Replacement DIY