S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Engine Oil Level - Check Level!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S600
Engine Oil Level - Check Level!

Recently bought used 2002 S600 and am replacing all of the fluids so I know what's in there and when it was done. 1st up was the oil. Replaced with 9.5 quarts Mobil 1 0W-40 per service DVD and K&N Filter. After driving about 5 minutes...got message on display of...Engine Oil Level - Check Level! While waiting for my newly ordered oil measuring tool (I call those a dipstick), thumbed through the owners manual that said 10 quart capacity even though the service DVD said 9.51 Quarts (9.0L) with filter change. So...went ahead and added the other half quart. Message still comes on after driving a while. Got tool in the mail and level was at 130mm which is overfilled according to Service DVD. Removed oil until level measured out at 115mm and still getting the same warning message after driving. Each time...after stopping the car and waiting 5 minutes and checking oil level electronically...it says oil level OK. Dealer says...need new oil level sensor. Wasn't a problem and did not present until I changed the oil and filter. Seems unlikely to me to have the oil level sensor go bad at exactly the same time I changed the oil. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 S450
On the oil filter stem there are 3 "o" rings. be sure all 3 are there. When you slide the filter over the stem be sure to slide it far enough so that only one of the black lines on the outside of the filter is showing above the cap. Dont know but the filter housing may not stay full of oil if one of those "O" rings is gone.. The little one on the end is the one that sometimes stays down in the filter can..