S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Audi A8 Beats out S-Class and 745

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shape Volvo V70 T5
You like the button-fest in the S? That's fine. But have you seen the A8 interior in person, or maybe in another colour? See for yourself in person m8y
Old 02-02-2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Target01
You like the button-fest in the S? That's fine. But have you seen the A8 interior in person, or maybe in another colour? See for yourself in person m8y
Personally I like a bunch of buttons... and I hate how the center console meets the dash in the new A8. It looks sooo ugly.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:48 PM

for comparison

vs.

might as well do exteriors too

vs.

personally i think the s class looks much better

Last edited by Caliz_Finest; 02-02-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:11 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
it is a glorified volkswagen!

hey everyone,

the new audi is a fine automobile but ....it is a glorified volkswagen. not trying to be insulting but...it's the truth. as far as buttons on the dash....i like them too. every car magazine raves about audi interiors and i just don't get it. i've been in audi's and their interiors are boring. the a8 is no different. the only thing that appeals to me is the wood...i like the color of it. the S class is older than the bmw 7 series and the audi a8 and it's still a more attractive automobile. if you could use one word to describe the S class. it's...balance.

as for awd...unless you live in a cold climate it's a waste of money. all it does is add weight and contribute to poor gas mileage.

Last edited by S55inPA; 02-02-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by brent0226
Why not use a 2003 S600 "Flagship?" Probably because the S600 costs as much as the A8 and a small house put together. That's like saying compare Hyundai's "Flagship" XG350 to Lexus' "Flagship" LS430. Point I'm trying to make, is that "flagship" is a very relative term.

I definitely love the A8's exterior. However, I terribly DESPISE the interior. It's the definition of fugly. The S-Class interior is the best interior of any car I've ever seen.
but a flagship is what it means.. the top of the line.. if a company that can't compete at that level.. that sucks they lose in that round.. thats why lexus hasnt been doing so well (in my eyes) but they can keep reliability!

Button fest in a S-Class? i dont have an S-class yet i know what every button does.. learned it in three days after my uncle got a S500.. completly different change when going from a japan-made car (lexus ls400) to a benz s-class german!

Caliz- thanks for the pics.. i don't like the center console in the audi either.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:49 PM

2002 A4 Quattro MT5 (modded ;)
Audi's flagship performance models aren't out yet! The 8 just came out!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by OusterA4
Audi's flagship performance models aren't out yet! The 8 just came out!
what will the flagship be called?
Old 02-03-2003, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
S8 I guess.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
Here I go defending the A8 again

I think that the interior would look a lot more classy if it was black, like in the merc picture that's been posted.

Also, even though 4WD adds weight, the A8 nullifies this due to extensive use of....aluminium. Mercedes hasn't even come this far yet...oh dear.
Also, how on earth do you put down 300+ horsepower in the wet with only two wheels? I would much prefer 4WD. And certainly in a place like England and the rest of Europe, where its 'always' rains, 4WD does make a difference.

Why some of you say that Audi is a glorified Volkswagen is beyond me...could you explain?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Volkswagen has own flagship now which can be compared to S.

It has also similar to S buttons:

People who own S are very conservative, so I do not think that any unbiased discussion of Audi or any other make except Lexus is possible here.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:57 AM

2002 A4 Quattro MT5 (modded ;)
For the same reason I'd call the Merc a boring Chrysler I guess

As far as the glamourized VW comment...Realize VW is the second largest automaker after GM and is a parent company to Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, and Bugatti to name a few...

Coming from a very unbaised viewpoint (clicky)...http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/users/35018.phtml

I really do think that Audi I right on par with Merc and bimmer...For example BMW's new models are hideous! Mercedes have recently got a lot of straight line grunt, but still overall Audi is better handling and has far superior control...I'm just waiting for the Lambo V-10 :P
Old 02-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
There will be a W12 version of the A8. And a S8. The one to wait for though is the RS8, from Quatro GmBh (the people who brought out the RS6). Suffice to say, the RS8 will easily be in the same league as pretty much the best AMG model, the S55. Not sure if the V10 will be in the RS8 or the S8, but the RS6 Bi-turbo V8 will certainly be used somewhere in the A8 line-up.

Can't wait
Old 02-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

There will be a W12 version of the A8. And a S8. The one to wait for though is the RS8, from Quatro GmBh (the people who brought out the RS6). Suffice to say, the RS8 will easily be in the same league as pretty much the best AMG model, the S55. Not sure if the V10 will be in the RS8 or the S8, but the RS6 Bi-turbo V8 will certainly be used somewhere in the A8 line-up.

Can't wait
best amg to me would have to be SL55.. not the sedan.. i would take the S600 over the S55 almost anyday!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
Will the new S-class feature more weight saving materials? Why doesn't a premium brand like Mercedes do so?
Old 02-19-2003, 03:04 AM

2000 Honda Accord EX V6

Why some of you say that Audi is a glorified Volkswagen is beyond me...could you explain?
I would have to agree Target01. I saw the A8 at the Los Angeles Auto Show and i must say... while the S class is a standard of excellence in design... the A8 is just beautiful. Also, merc is making all their cars look alike... so the new A8 and the Phaeton are nice addition to the multitudes of mercs i see and a nice relief that only BMW has the idea that a lux sedan has to look like crap.

Also, Audi's new "flagship sedan" will be called the S8 (or maybe even the RS8) if we're lucky. They're looking at around 480-500 hp and some crazy torque (i don't know specific numbers). But whatever it will be, the (R)S8 will be blazing fast with its high output engine and lightweight body. I'll be fun to see which company will make the best sport/lux sedan
Old 02-19-2003, 11:25 PM

Mercedes S430 '00
Originally posted by Dema
People who own S are very conservative, so I do not think that any unbiased discussion of Audi or any other make except Lexus is possible here. [/B]
Let's not start generalizing here. This "conservative" S430 owner also happens to enjoying modding his cars, from his 98 Honda Accord Coupe to his Toyota 4Runner, and now his S430.

I have a few friends that has the Passat. Please folks....tell me that the A8/A6/A4 series don't slightly resemble the Passat. That's where the VW reference comes in. VW is taking a bold step by trying to go upscale w/ the Phaeton while at the same time, trying to make inroads against BMW, MB & Lexus with their Audi division. Good Luck...they're going to need it.

I'm not sure what VW's logic is when on one end, they are marketing to youth/rebellion/hippie culture with their Bug and Golf and at the same time moving upscale to battle against their Audi division. Dunno..maybe they got a big head now due to the success of the Bug.

The Phaeton trying to compete with the S series. Good Luck. Seriously. Think about that statement for a bit. VW with its poor resale values vs. the S Class with the highest resale values in the industry? That's just one level of comparison. Another big one that everyone seems to forget about is the prestige factor. Sorry folks, when you can finally afford an S-class, VW is the last place you're going to look to buying. You want to fit "in" with the country club crowd right? Trust me, driving a VW is not the way to go. Yes, I'm sounding elitist...Thank you...but that's what drives this field. People who can afford and understand the finer things in life will always go for BMW and MB...not VW.

Audi. Great cars. A lot of my friends have them. Decent resale value. Good prestige factor. But personally, I don't like the new look. Their leg room in the rear isn't all that great either.

More thoughts later.

Dizzy
Old 02-20-2003, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Resale value and prestige factor are the last things I consider in cars. Anyway, thanks for the nice post, now I better understand logic of some people.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:36 AM

Mercedes S430 '00
Continued.

Audi was smart to stick with their AWD system. It's their great equalizer in a field dominated by MB and BMW. I can certainly understand why some folks think of Audi as a "glorified" VW. Put the A4 and Passat side by side and there's no doubt they are based on the same platform. Yes, it cuts R&D costs, but they have to better distinguish themselves. Honda and Acura already has this problem and if Audi doesn't want to dilute their "exclusiveness" they'd better be careful because right now, with VW moving upscale, it looks like its going to happen.

Lexus. Hashed and rehashed through many threads. Great everything, especially in the electronics arena. No surprise there. Japanese cars has already led this field. Honda's new voice navigation system makes the MB, BMW and Audi nav systems look like they come from third world nations. The new Accord's fancy electronics is almost reason alone to plunk down another 25k just to have a "mundane" car to drive downtown. No doubt about it folks. Lexus is catching up to MB and BMW and if you ask some folks here...(see Lexus vs. MB vs. BMW thread), Lexus has already caught up to the Germans and has even surpassed them. Rear seats with vibrating massage function, separate radio controls for rear passengers, logical control layouts all for under 60k. You can't beat the price and you can't beat the service. Lexus is undoubtly the best bang for the buck in the field of A8's, S-series and 7-series. The only thing they are missing is the prestige factor and that is quickly being rectified by their aggressive marketing toward those who can afford an LS430. While passing my local Lexus dealer, I'd admit there's been times I've been tempted to pull my S430 into the lot and see how much I can get for it in a trade in for an LS430. Sorry folks...but I love gadgets. And simply put, Lexus has gadgets galore AND are easy to operate. (Unlike BMW's ITrash)

Prestige factor? I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but that's what drives this market. It's all about marketing and that's where MB and BMW has everyone beat. You won't see many rappers out there pull up in a VW and call it their "bling" "bling" ride. Instead, Caddy made a coup by popularizing the Escalade among the rap industry leaders. Likewise, pulling up in a pimped out S class or a 7 series still engenders the "ooohhh...ahhhh..." effect. If you do any business in Asia, image is everything. Pulling up in your VW to pick up clients? Forget about that business deal. I am by no means a filthy rich guy....truth is, the bank owns most of my S430 anyways. But there's something about pulling up to the curb in an S class that tells people that you are successful and that business is doing well. In my field (law), that's what brings in the clients. For most Asian American business folks in LA, NY, DC, Chicago, etc... driving a MB or BMW is a must.

The running joke among us "Rice boys" as some folks like to call us, is that once we're finished with our Honda's, we move up the the M3's and M5's. MB has their AMG, but it simply isn't as popular as the M-series. BMW scored a coup by capturing that market. It's sad to see that even Lexus made serious inroads with their underpowered IS300. MB should have done it, but unfortunately they don't market their AMG to the "Pop" scene. Too bad. Hopefully MB realizes their mistake soon because even their C-class and C320 coupes are not going to make serious inroads into the entry-luxury market if they don't start marketing them correctly.j

Ok...I'm done with my car industry ramble now

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Dizzy
Old 02-20-2003, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Just in case if you do not know. MB with Command provides a remote control, so any passangers can control audio system.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
Does 2000 work with remote?

Does a 2000 US S500 COMAND work with a remote? I do not see a sensor on the COMAND unit.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:53 PM

Mercedes S430 '00
As the driver and king of my car, the last thing I want a passenger to do is to control my radio from the rear seat!

That aside...I don't see any infared sensor either. Are the Canadian versions different?

Dizzy
Old 02-21-2003, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
Check this thread out.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:44 AM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
whoever said that Audi's are not VW's, READ, READ, READ AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE READ SOME MORE, just like infiniti's are nissans, acura's are honda's and lexus are toyotas, Audis ARE VWs. and NO that does not make lamborghini or bentley cheesy VWs, VW owning Lamborghini and Bentley doesn't mean it makes them from VWs parts bins. and MB's are not chryslers, what the F*** is wrong with you, what are you a 12 yrs old. if you like the A8 fine, just don't try to compare yourself to MB owners, any of them, whether they drive a C or a CL, MB automobiles are above and beyond anything from Audi, that lightweight B.S. is just that, B.S. to make you believe you own a better car. yes i love having 100+ buttons, yes I love my 5000+lb car,i own a G500 not an S if you would read you'd know an S600 weighs 4760lbs, your S8 weighs 4000lbs, but you're audi is out 150hp and 283lb-ft of torque. so again don't compare your audis to our Benzes.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:51 PM

2007 S550 Sport
Damn you're an idiot. That's the kind of response that annoys the crap out of me. The C sux. So does the G which is an outdated piece of crap which can't hold a candle to the other vehicles in that class. Don't delude yourself just because you own a 3-pointed star and you overpaid for a gas sucking lame duck. The Audi is a great car and has many virtues that MB should be developing towards. MBs are not the be all and end all of automobiles. Don't get me wrong, they are great vehicles, and I love mine, but to say every car in its lineup is the best in class, that's just delusional.

This whole arguement that Audi's are just VWs and Lexus are just Toyotas... who cares!! The fact that that "just a VW" or "just a Toyota" can make better vehicles than MB just makes it that much more embarrassing for MB. Cars should be getting lighter, faster, and more efficient. Throwing in a huge engine into an even heavier car is not my idea of innovation or a leader in industry. All the more praise to Audi and Jaguar for developing their all aluminum cars. Hopefully MB follows in their footsteps.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:21 PM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
no TOKED you're the idiot. what makes you think they can make a 2000lb car the size of an S or G, Mclaren had problems making the f1 weigh 2500lb, you dumb ***, what makes you think all the luxury an amenities in this luxury vehicles can be made lighter, you put all this into a car and the car is gonna need everything bigger in turn needing a bigger engine that guzzles gas. and to show you how much of a dumb *** you are, take the Phaeton from VW outweighs the S class. you're either an old dumb *** or a young kid who doesn't know his elbow from his ***.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 Beats out S-Class and 745