S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Radiator splits open on the highway in rush hour traffic...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Thumbs down Radiator splits open on the highway in rush hour traffic...

I was driving and minding my business, all of a sudden CEL comes on and I loose lots of power, the exhaust sounds really strange and the car feels like it's running on 6 cylinders. I promptly pull over, pop the hood and check everything out.

Coolant looks good, oil level check comes back okay, ECU harness is all plugged in, IC's are cool to the touch, etc...

I let it sit for about 10 minutes, fire it up, all is normal.

I get on the on-ramp of the GCP and as soon as I merge I see a trail of smoke/steam coming from my grill. Immediately pull over on the shoulder, shut down and the steam gets worse and worse.

I opened the hood cautiously and the coolant was jetting out of the drivers side of the radiator right below the air intake. This was going on for about 8 minutes finally ending with a pool of coolant under the car.

Called MB roadside and they informed me that they could not tow me directly, since this is a State Parkway, only an authorized tow truck could come and get me, and I would have to pay for that myself, and they would come get me once I was off the highway. I said okay no, I'll call you back. Tow truck comes and they wanted $110.00 to pull me off the highway. No thanks again.

I let the car cool down to about 80*C and fired it up, the exit was about a tenth of a mile ahead of me. I made it there no problem, pulled over and a MB tow truck was there in literally 8 minutes.

At this time it was about 5:15PM on a Friday, we got to the lot and dumped the car with the rest of the cars in their service lot.

They advised me that they will not be able to look at the car until Monday afternoon and that I could not get a loaner because they only give loaners to "Scheduled Service Appointments"....

My SA calls me Monday at around noon advising me that they have pressure tested the cooling system and that the leak is the result of the aluminum on the side of the radiator splitting open.

They ordered the radiator and also a new cluster since there is an open recall on the cluster. Gee thanks, my AMG cluster arrives tomorrow with no car to install it into.

He said they will need to take apart the whole front of the car to get to the radiator since it's behind the ABC oil cooler, IC HE and A/C condenser.

I would have probably tackled this myself but I can't with my rust bucket.

Next time something breaks on this car it's getting torched....

Old 03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
That sucks.

Are they gonna look at your a/C compressor as well?

This could turn into a nice $5k service visit.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
ya that sux, any idea of repair cost?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
Sorry to hear that... I had some problem with a coolant line last week, it was taking away from power delivery. It cost about $700 to fix and now the car is running smooth as silk.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500
Scared the hell out of me..any suggestions to avoid this problem so others dont have to deal with this..thanks and good luck with repairs.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by chibenz
Scared the hell out of me..any suggestions to avoid this problem so others dont have to deal with this..thanks and good luck with repairs.
I have no idea why it happened (yet)... I will be taking my old radiator back and I'll post here once I inspect it.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
That sucks.

Are they gonna look at your a/C compressor as well?

This could turn into a nice $5k service visit.
Yes - I told them the story, they said they will recharge and lubricate the compressor.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I ordered the S65 AMG radiator, today I found out that it's the same exact part number as the S600 radiator..
Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
The SA kept saying "okay I'll give you a holla" at the end of every conversation.. I told him he can "give me a call instead" LOL
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
does he think your ghetto or something?i mean you drive an s600 for christ sakes....
Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 AM

2000 S430
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I ordered the S65 AMG radiator, today I found out that it's the same exact part number as the S600 radiator..
Wouldn't that mean same part number = same part ? so the amg radiator isn't different?

I think when you drive hard these kind of problems you have been experiencing are expected.

I know the s600 is fast but any car pushed around will be problematic. I think they build it for the odd time you push it to the limit not the constant pushing of limits. Kind of likes its there when you need it but sometimes if you keep going to the cookie jar its empty.

Oh yeah are you running the stock thermostat?

Last edited by illmeth0d; 03-25-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by illmeth0d
Wouldn't that mean same part number = same part ? so the amg radiator isn't different?

I think when you drive hard these kind of problems you have been experiencing are expected.

I know the s600 is fast but any car pushed around will be problematic. I think they build it for the odd time you push it to the limit not the constant pushing of limits. Kind of likes its there when you need it but sometimes if you keep going to the cookie jar its empty.

Oh yeah are you running the stock thermostat?
I really can't imagine that AMG, a division known for blasting down the Autobahn at 3a.m. doing high speed testing, would build a car that can't withstand fairly constant punishment. In my opinion, these cars are built, and tested, to be run at WOT for hours on end.

That said, its a car, and cars break. Maybe the radiator had a weak spot or a bad weld, and finally let go.

Sometimes **** happens, so fix it and enjoy it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM

2003 S-600
Damn. Sorry to hear that. Knock on wood, mine has been rock solid so far, and I'm certainly not afraid to get in the throttle. Good luck with the fix and please let us know how it goes.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by illmeth0d
Correct... I looked up the part for the S65 AMG radiator and ordered it. When it came in yesterday, I looked up the part for the S600 and it was the same exact part number.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:33 PM

W220 S600, W203 220CDI, W109 3.5 V8
Really sorry to hear of your problems. I always enjoy reading your posts about your S600 as it looks like you really like and truly enjoy the car . I hope you won't torch it in the end .

I saw that you had the ABC pump replaced also. Two big problems in a short time. Good thing you have a warranty.

This kind of stories scare me more than watching a horror movie . I have no warranty unfortunately (cannot have it here if not with a new car).

I hope you'll be able to find out what happened to the radiator ...
Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Car is ready for pickup, going there now.

They left me the old radiator in the trunk to inspect as I requested. Nice.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
good luck.

let me know if your AC noise is gone.

thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Car is ready for pickup, going there now.

They left me the old radiator in the trunk to inspect as I requested. Nice.
keep us updated man !
Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I've never been to this dealership and came here only because they were 3 miles away from where my mishap happened. They could not give me a loaner because those are only for "schedule service appointments".. and the *****y **** at the reception desk gives me a NASTY attitude when I told her that I was trying to get there as fast as possible, but was stuck in traffic. I begged her to wait 5 extra minutes for me.

I get there, get the car, it's dusty, dirty and has greasy hand prints on the hood. It's 6:15 already and no one to complain to. Okay so I take the car to my friends to inspect.

After about 5 minutes with this car this is what I find...

- Headlight bracket is snapped off on the passenger headlight.
- Driver's side airbox is not fully connected to the turbo charger. It was "just chillin" there...
- The pressure sensor on the driver's side airbox is not connected. Once again, just hanging out there.
- Coolant spilled all over the place, no attempt to clean up.
- Greasy/dirty finger prints on the dashboard from the cluster swap. Grease all over the plastic face of the new cluster.
- Cluster/Interior lighting is SUPER DIM. Can't adjust as the adjustment on the cluster has no effect.

Here's where it get's interesting...

I received my new European AMG cluster from Steve at MBenzNL yesterday, so when I got home I swapped the cluster. I found out why I could not adjust the lighting... there is a plastic frame around the cluster, that has the R button and the knob for brightness... well they guy working on my car obviously had no idea what he was doing, because he snapped one of the plastic tabs off the cluster and also broke the plastic rod from the knob to the actual cluster.

I took pictures of everything and I am preparing everything to bring over there.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Holy **** I scrolled down and for a split second thought that CLK was a silver S600. My heart skipped a beat.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM

I've never been to this dealership and came here only because they were 3 miles away from where my mishap happened. They could not give me a loaner because those are only for "schedule service appointments".. and the *****y **** at the reception desk gives me a NASTY attitude when I told her that I was trying to get there as fast as possible, but was stuck in traffic. I begged her to wait 5 extra minutes for me.

I get there, get the car, it's dusty, dirty and has greasy hand prints on the hood. It's 6:15 already and no one to complain to. Okay so I take the car to my friends to inspect.

After about 5 minutes with this car this is what I find...

- Headlight bracket is snapped off on the passenger headlight.
- Driver's side airbox is not fully connected to the turbo charger. It was "just chillin" there...
- The pressure sensor on the driver's side airbox is not connected. Once again, just hanging out there.
- Coolant spilled all over the place, no attempt to clean up.
- Greasy/dirty finger prints on the dashboard from the cluster swap. Grease all over the plastic face of the new cluster.
- Cluster/Interior lighting is SUPER DIM. Can't adjust as the adjustment on the cluster has no effect.

Here's where it get's interesting...

I received my new European AMG cluster from Steve at MBenzNL yesterday, so when I got home I swapped the cluster. I found out why I could not adjust the lighting... there is a plastic frame around the cluster, that has the R button and the knob for brightness... well they guy working on my car obviously had no idea what he was doing, because he snapped one of the plastic tabs off the cluster and also broke the plastic rod from the knob to the actual cluster.

I took pictures of everything and I am preparing everything to bring over there.
wow, that's unacceptable. here's to hoping they'll take care of everything.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

'15 S550 4matic; '10 RX350; '14 E350 Cabriolet
Really sorry to hear about your problem and the big(ger) headache having it repaired.

By any chance was this the Mercedes dealer on Northern Blvd. near the Throgs Neck bridge?

I'm in CT but want to know which dealers to avoid.....
Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Ahh thats terrible
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Yup.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Radiator splits open on the highway in rush hour traffic...