S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

No Throttle Response, ESP/BAS on after battery disconnect...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kleemann S55 AMG
No Throttle Response, ESP/BAS on after battery disconnect...

So I finally get my MAF issue worked out only to get hit with a new problem... I disconnected my battery to reset the ECU for the new MAF and once the car learned it, it ran great. Then the next day I noticed when I would come to a stop the engine was idling high... if I put the car into neutral it would hold revs at about 2200rpm. I drove to a parking lot and revved the engine and the revs went to about 4K and held. I turned it off and back on and back to a high idle ... back around 2K or so, but if I rev again it was back up.

I drove home and disconnected the battery to reset everything and when I hooked it back up only to have no throttle pedal response whatsoever. Additionally, even after I turned the steering wheel left and right lock to lock I still had ESP/BAS failures. I disconnected and reconnected the battery a few more times over the following hours, and one time I got throttle response back so I drove into my garage while I had the chance. I then turned my wheel left and right and my ABS and BAS failures cleared, as they should.

If I turn the car off and then start it back I get a Check Engine light for P0120 - Throttle Sensor/Pedal Position Circuit A. I figured it was the infamous throttle pedal failure so I went out and bought one from the stealership today, unhooked the battery, installed it, reconnected and guess what.... no throttle pedal response and ESP/BAS won't clear again.

I have tried to leave the key in the on position before starting for 5 minutes or so hoping the throttle body would adapt, but no look. Anyone know what's going on here?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
I can help you out a little bit on this one. Here is a factory chart from Mercedes for your P0120, as found in ALLDATAdiy. You may need to Re-energize the throttle valve actuator. This code appear to put your vehicle in Mechanical emergency running mode stop. Have you tried to clear the code after the repair?

Attached Thumbnails No Throttle Response, ESP/BAS on after battery disconnect...-p0120.jpg