S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

What is your favorite display on the MFD?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Like you I do think the Nitrogen fill is a waste of $$ for ordinary highway driving. I agree with whoover, and surmise that you would too, that ordinary air and more frequent checking of tire pressures is as good as (and less expensive than) the Nitrogen fills - which at some locations here, go for $60.
+1

THANKS Skylaw

See yeah
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
+1 on the snake oil...

Nitrogen, Air, it makes no difference... Nitrogen and air behave almost identically as a gas. The ruse of the McLaren Spygate drama was that Ferrari used CO2 instead of nitrogen and that made "such" a performance difference...even Bridgestone commented that it made no difference.

However, bottled gases such as nitrogen are usually free of water, and that makes a big difference in temp vs. pressure, humid gas in the tire will build more pressure with increasing tire temp than dry gas.

I make a point to fill my tires at the plant at work, where we have a -40 degree air dryer on our compressed air. Much cheaper than nitrogen...although we have nitrogen too, I haven't tried it yet. Also we have Argon...Helium...heck Hydrogen even and i will save 10 or so grams of weight per tire.

Is that a big deal? i don't think so... I don't think anyone here can tell +/- 2psig on a street tire, unless it's uneven on one side and pulling the car left or right.

Nitrogen fanboys talk about the oxidation degragation effects of oxygen inside the tire if you use air instead of nitrogen. These people haven't figured out yet how to fill the outside atmosphere with pure nitrogen too, to prevent degradation on the outside of the tire...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I changed a few settings on the IC using SDS and my range screen displays both the range in miles and also the amount of gasoline in the tank in gallons.
I want this...oh wow, where did you get the star tool? Is there any secret service code i can enter without the star too for the MFD?

In my e39 m5 it has a service code and unlocks all info. That's the first thing I do in the M5 after starting...go to the service code and display either RPM, speed, fuel level, consumption...

how how how?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Ok, i didnt think i was crazy. I just got my dash updated and no longer have gas tank with miles left together anymore. Going back to the dealer tomorrow. Nice to have the MPH screen though. If not using Nav that is whats usually up
Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by turncoat
I want this...oh wow, where did you get the star tool? Is there any secret service code i can enter without the star too for the MFD?

In my e39 m5 it has a service code and unlocks all info. That's the first thing I do in the M5 after starting...go to the service code and display either RPM, speed, fuel level, consumption...

how how how?
There's no secret way to do this... you need the SDS computer to code the changes to the IC.