W220: why we love it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
JWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW i8
Originally Posted by rondocap
I have an 01 S55, I love it. Very comfortable, and most people who ride in it think it's a 2009 model because it still looks so stylish and is well conserved for its age.
I was writing my post when you posted this but as you can see in the post above... this happens a lot!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
JWD - I know exactly what you mean. This has happened with me a few times in my 01 S55:

I'll be driving around some friends, or parents, often older - so I will drive normally and very carefully. You know, low RPM's and not really accelerating much sometimes for the entire day they are with me. They always comment on how smooth it is, and quiet.

But when I drop them off and am alone...that soft S class becomes a volcano! I stomp on it and I am refreshed at how alive it truly is in contrast to the soft, casual driving that i have to be subjected to when people are in the car. I love the sometimes sudden jerk when the torque kicks in! Ha, I wish I could drive like a maniac all day! But then again, I wouldn't have that contrast.

Last edited by rondocap; 03-03-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: a
Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 W220 S500
Originally Posted by JWD
I also love the car, maybe a bit too much.

Mine is a 2001 S55 and has around 50k miles on the clock.
We took the car all over the world (Italy, Monaco, France, Dubai) since it was always at one of our 'holiday' homes.
We sold our house in Dubai (right on time) and it would have been a wise decision to sell the car there, shipping it back to The Netherlands would be quite expensive, not to mention all the taxes I would have to pay to get it on NL plates.
And after all it's almost 10 years old.
But when I visited our house in Dubai for the last time and saw my S standing there I had a change of mind.
I entered the car, started it and came to live instantly with a big growl and automatically wiping once to get the dust from the windshield, almost saying "You left me for too long in this dusty garage!".
That was it.... I had to keep the car, arranged the shipping and almost a year later it was on NL plates.

And the funny thing is... I started using this car as a winter car because my DD '07 BMW M5 really is a handful in wet/snowy conditions and everyone asks if this is a my NEW car, in NL you can see how old a car is based on the plates so people think it's a '09 and they really believe it since it still looks brand new after 10 years.

Why this long story you might ask... well, I drove my M5 again today .
It was nice and sunny and man... that car is FAST, the sound is also 10 times better than the S55 (V10) and I can take corners at speeds twice of what I'm doing with the S.
BUT.... when I parked the car in front of my house today I was all stressed out, I had been a lot in city traffic and everyone seemed to be slow as hell today.
With the M5 it's almost like walking your pet lion on a leash on a farm full of nice little sheep.
An itchy little toe is enough to let the car jump on the back of the car in front of you.

The S is so much more sophisticated, it's very fast but you can also drive it around almost without thinking, the seamless shifts, the smooth power band , the comfy seats, the soft close doors, etc.
The whole package is what makes the W220 special, and I love it!

I just had to tell this to you guys (and gals?), I think you'll understand .
I hear yo bro! I am an European guy, who happen to live for the last few years here, in the USA. I wish I had my S500 in Europe (just got W140 diesel back in the day,) lets say just to drive it on an Autobahn in Germany to see how it feels at speed over 70MPH, the highest legal speed here (correct me if I'm wrong.) Americans don't know how it is to feel your car in curves, since all the county roads, freeways, and highways are so straight and boring (and filled with cops.) Once I got it a lil over the limit, they almost threw me into a jail. I will take my baby back home with me, back to the Old Continent (even if i am 99yo at the time [she would still be 23 years younger chick].)