How does a "Lease" work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C200K Coupe
How does a "Lease" work?

Pardon me if this is a silly question. But here, they usually don’t lease cars. Well, at least not for more than a couple of months.

Usually if you want to buy a car here you either pay in cash or make a plan with some bank.

But lease for a couple of years? That’s really a new thing for me.

Could anyone explain please? (I’m 19. so be patient with me :p)
Old 02-09-2003, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Where are you???
Old 02-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Banned

Mercedes C200K Coupe
Originally posted by absent
Where are you???
Kuwait
Old 02-09-2003, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
A lease is like renting. You don't have to put down a heavy down payment, like when buying a car and the monthly payments are lower, because you are only paying for the time you are using the car.
At the end of your lease, you have three choices, one, is to return the car and walk away, second, you can buy it and third, lease it again.
Hope it helps.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Banned

Mercedes C200K Coupe
Originally posted by theine
A lease is like renting. You don't have to put down a heavy down payment, like when buying a car and the monthly payments are lower, because you are only paying for the time you are using the car.
At the end of your lease, you have three choices, one, is to return the car and walk away, second, you can buy it and third, lease it again.
Hope it helps.
thanks

So, how do they usually calculate it? and the lease get lower the more you intend to keep the car?

Lets assume the car is 60K and you want to lease it for three years. how much the lease is going to be?
Old 02-09-2003, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your lease payment includes depreciation(estimated) of the car during the term and interest on the full price.
Since different cars depreciate faster or slower(ie M3 vs Audi A8)
even with the same selling price of the cars ,the lease payment will vary.The "closed end" lease contract specifies the allowed mileage for the term,so you are protected from any fluctuations of the market and at the end of the term you can return the car without any further obligations.
"open end" lease is not limiting your mileage but you are responsible for the difference in value of the car at the end of your term.
Since cars usually depreciate faster in the first 2 years the lease payment has to cover correspondingly higher depreciation,hence your lease payment will be much higher on short term lease(1-2 years)
I hope I this will help.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Banned

Mercedes C200K Coupe
Originally posted by absent
Your lease payment includes depreciation(estimated) of the car during the term and interest on the full price.
Since different cars depreciate faster or slower(ie M3 vs Audi A8)
even with the same selling price of the cars ,the lease payment will vary.The "closed end" lease contract specifies the allowed mileage for the term,so you are protected from any fluctuations of the market and at the end of the term you can return the car without any further obligations.
"open end" lease is not limiting your mileage but you are responsible for the difference in value of the car at the end of your term.
Since cars usually depreciate faster in the first 2 years the lease payment has to cover correspondingly higher depreciation,hence your lease payment will be much higher on short term lease(1-2 years)
I hope I this will help.
Thanks very much... thats really Informative.
couple more questions though... when u lease a car, is it registered in ur name as if you bought it? you can leave the country with it or something?

one last question... and that might sound silly... but do you feel is if it was your own car and not a rental?! heh.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car is registered to you and the leasing co. but the title is held by
them.You can travel with no restrictions but you can not modify the car (at least you are not supposed to)