S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Entire car sunk over 4 days (Airmatic) HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 and 1998 E320
Entire car sunk over 4 days (Airmatic) HELP

I have a 2003 S500 and i came out today to drive my car for the first time in 4 days and the entire car was sitting on the wheels. I started it and in red it said car too low - stop.

I pushed the button to raise the car and over a 30 second period the car raised up to normal height and was fine. I started driving to work and i pushed the button to raise it one level from normal and it raised up. I pushed it again and it just would go back to normal (I can get the one small red light to come on and raise the car but now two lights, it just goes back to no lights (Normal ride height)

I have not had any issues with the system to date. I hate the dealer and will not go there. I tried doing a search here and i see all sorts of causes / fixes. I called my independent and he said they will find the leak and more than likely it may be either a leak they can fix or at worst replace a strut which they will get from Arnotts for $499. Then they said they have to just the recalibrate the ride and i should be good to go.

I mentioned a strut repair kit and they were clueless (These guys have always been honest with me).

Am i missing anything here. I typically dont let the car sit for extended periods but it will happen from time to time. Is there any chance this was just a weird glitch in something or do i definitely need to have it looked at and if so does the above make sense?? Don't the facelift cars supposedly already have the updated system?? FYI the car has 58k miles

Any input is appreciated
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM

2000 S430
I wouldnt be too crazy about it , first check to see if the pump is working. I had a similar problem when the car dropped and it was actually the relay (its only about $20). You would think with a relay either it works or it doesn't but it was actually intermittent. I have an extra pump I picked up on ebay for $150 too but I didn't need it. I'd change the relay no problems since. Its the first square black relay in the pass side fuse box closet to the front of the car.

Also the rears rarely go bad its usually the front and you can buy a strut kit and have the fronts replaced for a few hundred. Just make sure you find a shop that deals with it and source the parts online for cheap.

Last edited by illmeth0d; 06-05-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere, check your lines with soapy water. As far as changing out a strut, I have never heard or re-calibration. If the sensor is installed on the correct position on the struct the car will automatically do this for you.

The fact that your 2nd light (stiff position) does not light up can mean either A you have a leak and the car can not build up enough pressure, or B the pump is going and cannot build up enough pressure.

I had B, and replaced the pump for $400, and stealership put it in for another $200. From what I hear the pumps are like around $200.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 PM

2003 and 1998 E320
Just an update as i am a moron about one thing.

There is only one light in the button to raise the car. When i said it would not go to the 2nd height raise that is because it does not exist. The other button that activates sporty 1 and sport 2 works fine and the button i was referring to that raises the car works fine as well.

So all i am left with is a car that sank after sitting for a number of days. It has now been in my garage for 6 hours and is fine and it sat at work for 9 hours and was fine. I am guessing i have a very small leak somwhere. The pump is not running with any reularity or cycling on and off.

Could this have been a relay issue or something else.

Am i best off at this point ust not worrying about it unless it becomes a repetitive issue or happens during shorter periods of rest. The car seems fine now.

What do you think??
Old 06-06-2009, 03:54 PM

00 S500 & 2008 E350 Wagon
My 2000 S500 would sink in the winter. I spoke to MB service, and the guy said, start the car and let it run for a while, the car should raise itself.

So far, so good. Whenever my car drops, I let it run until it raises again. Now that it is warm, the problem has not returned.

In sum, if your car has only done it one, or twice, and returned to normal height, I would not worry about it. Of course, if does it regularly, I'd have some one look at it.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
Yeah same thing happend to me this winter, it was extremely cold and I wasn't driving the car because I was too lazy to put the winter tires on. The reason why it can do this is that we have air shocks. When air molecules are heated they expand, when they cool they constrict. So when it is extremely cold outside, they constrict so they fill up less volume if more air is not pumped in....ie the car running or pump is on. This constricted air volume in effect causes the car to sink under its own weight. I believe it was about 20 degrees when this happend. As soon as I hit the unlock the car went back up. It was nice look, but not gonna work slammed on an 11inch rim.