Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
why are you so bitter?

I drive a bone-stock 5 year old S55. I bought it because it fell in my lap shortly after a coworker bought a bone-stock E55 that pinned me in the seat. I like the power, size, and the clean lines. I was shopping for an A8 (used!) because I like the very understated look wrapped around an excellent large sedan.

I dislike most body kits ("gills", anyone?) on the S-Class, but it doesn't **** me off like it does you.
I dislike "slammed" cars in general, and on an S-Class it's ridiculous, but it doesn't **** me off like it does you.
I dislike gigantic diameter wheels in general, but it doesn't **** me off like it does you.

I dislike most of the modding I see on the MBs, but THAT'S OK! Just because I don't like it doesn't make it bad, it means *I* think it looks bad.

We all want to know why you get so pissed off? Why can't you just let it go?

by the way, what is "stretching" tires? I have no f-ing idea
To be frank, I'm not bitter. This really has no impact on my life. But I, by nature, am argumentative, and I sometimes would love to know what runs through the heads of these folks. I guess I just get my point across in an extremely impactful and abrasive way.

Oh, and tire stretching is taking the absolute thinnest tire you can fit on the widest wheel, so instead of the sidewall being even with the rim, it is actually stretched inward.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Bulljon
As a new user of this forum, I am stunned by the number of threads that center around criticizing other peoples vehicles. It seems like those threads get the most traffic. I was under the impression that forums were by design, set up to help each other with information, share ideas etc...

I made my first post yesterday (see 19" OEM Wheels for S430) and this morning had 44 lookers and only one comment, meanwhile there is a ton of energy spent on this running gun battle over personal taste. I joined the MBCA and love Mercedes because of the cars and the people that they attract.

So far I am underwhelmed with my experience here. Please advise...
I have seen the same negativity you see. My advice: get used to it.

My guess is that it's driven by insecurity and/or lack of self-confidence. Go look at the Honda SUV forum. you will find mostly useful/helpful posts. Yes, you will see criticism and negative posts, but nothing even close to what you see on the MB sites. I've seen the same thing on Audi sites, and have heard that the Bimmer sites are worse than here. I haven't visited the VW forums enough to notice, but I suspect it has its fair share of crap. I did frequent a Passat site that was pretty friendly and helpful.

The people buying Hondas aren't trying to impress anybody (not that MB buyers are! ), and apparently are comfortable enough in their own skins to not feel the *need* to knock others down.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
To be frank, I'm not bitter. This really has no impact on my life. But I, by nature, am argumentative, and I sometimes would love to know what runs through the heads of these folks. I guess I just get my point across in an extremely impactful and abrasive way.
Yes. Yes you do.

Originally Posted by Oliverk
Oh, and tire stretching is taking the absolute thinnest tire you can fit on the widest wheel, so instead of the sidewall being even with the rim, it is actually stretched inward.
Thanks. Seems like a great way to expose rims to even the slightest imperfection in the road. I guess they are trying to support the aftermarket rims economy.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
not only that, but you also create unstable handling, much faster tire wear, and much greater likelihood of tire damage.

not a wise choice.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM

W220
stretched tires are most commonly used to make extra room inside of the wheel wells to accomodate a wider wheel while still being able to lower the car as much as possible. the look is subjective and the safety concerns are debateable. personally, i wouldn't try anything too wild on my 220, but on my daily beater, i've driven the past 2 years with Falken 512 205/40s stretched over a 16x8 without any issues. some will argue that i'm sacrificing handling by doing so, but that point is moot to me since the low ride height affects my handling as well. i didn't build that car to race around in, but rather to drive everyday and have a cool stance to it.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM

s-class
cant we all just hug it out?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by stevedel
stretched tires are most commonly used to make extra room inside of the wheel wells to accomodate a wider wheel while still being able to lower the car as much as possible. the look is subjective and the safety concerns are debateable. personally, i wouldn't try anything too wild on my 220, but on my daily beater, i've driven the past 2 years with Falken 512 205/40s stretched over a 16x8 without any issues. some will argue that i'm sacrificing handling by doing so, but that point is moot to me since the low ride height affects my handling as well. i didn't build that car to race around in, but rather to drive everyday and have a cool stance to it.

safety concerns for guns, and even simple matches, are debatable, too. so is whether the Sun rose this morning, or are we really in the Matrix and there is no Sun.

"There is no spoon..."
Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 PM

W220

safety concerns for guns, and even simple matches, are debatable, too. so is whether the Sun rose this morning, or are we really in the Matrix and there is no Sun.

"There is no spoon..."
not all stretches are the same, which is why it's debatable. obviously putting a 205 on a 9" wide wheel would have more saftey concerns than the same tire on an 8" wide wheel. at which point does a safe stretch become an unsafe stretch is where the debate begins.

of course purists will say that all stretches are unsafe, but there will also be opposite opions.

Falken 205/40 on an 8" wheel

Falken 205/40 on a 9" wheel
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
not all stretches are the same, which is why it's debatable. obviously putting a 205 on a 9" wide wheel would have more saftey concerns than the same tire on an 8" wide wheel. at which point does a safe stretch become an unsafe stretch is where the debate begins.

of course purists will say that all stretches are unsafe, but there will also be opposite opions.

Falken 205/40 on a 9" wheel
This is NOT a debate, simply use the manufacturers recomended rim widths. If you go outside of this, you risk a blow off of the bead from a rim PERIOD.

I have OFTEN tried to put a LARGER tire on the rim, for off the line traction and still staying with the MIN specs for rim width from the tire manufacturer. My question here is WHY would anyone want to strecth a tire PLEASE don't tell me its for looks. And if the answer is to get the biggest posialbe rim, you are still looseing handling, and off the line traction by placing a SMALL tire.Not to mention the increase in unsprung weight from the large rim. Oh well, everyone in life is different, but this is one silly trend to say the least.

By the way, that second picture

See yeah
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM

W220
Obviously this is debatable because lots of people have been running stretched tires without any safety issues, myself included, and you just argued the opposite.

Just sayin'.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Obviously this is debatable because lots of people have been running stretched tires without any safety issues, myself included, and you just argued the opposite.

Just sayin'.
FYI, one can have a safety issue without having an "incident"

there is a safety issue carrying a loaded handgun, but that doesn't mean it discharged accidentally.

there is certainly a safety issue with these stretched tires: if nothing else, the rim is more exposed to damage

Just sayin'...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think it would be safe to state that all stretches are less safe, due to the increased exposure to rim damage

edit: of course, someone will debate that
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM

W220
so you see my point that the topic at hand is a debatable one. everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone will agree.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so you see my point that the topic at hand is a debatable one. everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone will agree.
but only my opinion is the correct one
Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
but only my opinion is the correct one
Ballsy, very Ballsy

See yeah
Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 PM

s-class