S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Slow Throttle Response.... Anyone know how to perform a throttle body adaptation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kleemann S55 AMG
Slow Throttle Response.... Anyone know how to perform a throttle body adaptation?

To make a long story short my throttle body actuator died, shorting out my ECU in the process. I installed a used throttle body actuator, got a new ECU from MB programmed for the car and sent it off to Kleemann to have the code reflashed for the Kleemann supercharger and headers. I noticed earlier tonight on a full throttle start that I didn't even get so much as a chirp (which never happens, it always lights up the tires). When I got home I revved the engine only to find that it has about a 1 second delay from when I floor it to when it actually starts revving (it obviously should and used to be instant). Additionally, when it does start revving it seems to rev much slower than normal. I have disconnected the battery for 20 minutes or so to reset the ECU and started it back up to find the same laggy response. The car feels down on power, but I can't swear to it because I have just gotten back into the car after a month away from it. I have previously and recently replaced the MAF and am wondering if that might be what it is causing the problem ...

... any thoughts? Is there a throttle body adaptation procedure that I'm missing perhaps (I would have thought an ECU reset would have solved that but I'm not entirely certain).

Last edited by dkinder; 07-24-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by dkinder
To make a long story short my throttle body actuator died, shorting out my ECU in the process. I installed a used throttle body actuator, got a new ECU from MB programmed for the car and sent it off to Kleemann to have the code reflashed for the Kleemann supercharger and headers. I noticed earlier tonight on a full throttle start that I didn't even get so much as a chirp (which never happens, it always lights up the tires). When I got home I revved the engine only to find that it has about a 1 second delay from when I floor it to when it actually starts revving (it obviously should and used to be instant). Additionally, when it does start revving it seems to rev much slower than normal. I have disconnected the battery for 20 minutes or so to reset the ECU and started it back up to find the same laggy response. The car feels down on power, but I can't swear to it because I have just gotten back into the car after a month away from it. I have previously and recently replaced the MAF and am wondering if that might be what it is causing the problem ...

... any thoughts? Is there a throttle body adaptation procedure that I'm missing perhaps (I would have thought an ECU reset would have solved that but I'm not entirely certain).
Maybe you should be talking to Kleeman about this issue.

OR

You missed the most important part. The issue you described sounds more like an accelerator module issue than a TB. Have you replaced it? Its located at your accelerator pedal. This has to be reprogrammed. Also there is no adaptation for neither components they must be setup using STAR.

ECU only stores and directs info. It doesn't send out configuration information so a reset is pointless if the affected module is reporting incorrect information FYI.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kleemann S55 AMG
Well I went to have a further look at it this morning and checked the MAF and air inlet connections to ensure that there were no leaks, etc. In doing this I had a person in the car turn the car on (not started) and actuate the accelerator while I observed the throttle plate with a mirror. The throttle plate moves just as quickly as the accelerator is pushed, even when it is slammed down to the floor as quickly as possible, so at this point I tend to think it isn't anything to do with either the throttle body actuator nor the accelerator potentiometer itself. As far as contacting Kleemann, at this point I really don't think it's anything to do with any of their parts or code, so I don't yet want to bother them with something that is in all likelihood solely my problem. It very well could be another bad MAF but I wanted to wait to see other replies/ideas before buying another MAF.