S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

airmatic damage due to rear end collision?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 2012, S550 2007
airmatic damage due to rear end collision?

Hi, I'm tying to understand something.
I've read many thread with the airmatic problem after a certain mileage on the S class. I own a S430 2001 with 96k mile. Everything was always good, no problem great car, so far.....
I was rear ended beginning july, not a major damage just about $5000 worth of repairs. After I got the car back from the body shop, the car was driving ok for couple of days then AIRMATIC car too low........... Park the car then notice that the passenger side of the car is totally "down". I call the body shop telling them about the problem, they took the car back and checked but nothing looks abnormal!!?? Take the car to the dealer for another diagnostic:
need a new airmatic pump. So I ok the repair for $1000. Go pick up the car, the service advisor brings me the car, it looks worse than when I left it. Then he tells me that I need a new shock which is another $1500. Not happy I ***** at him, he felt "bad" let me go with the loaner.
Now the car is still at the dealer, nothing has been done to it.
My question is can my airmatic be damage by a rear end collision??
Never had any problem prior to the crash, or is it just a co-incidence????
Please help me understand this, the dealer is playing me for a fool cuz I'm a chick!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
They might be playing you. A) You can get an OEM pump for about $300-$400. B) "If" a shock was all you needed in the first place they need to put your old pump back on, and you can get an aftermarket/rebuilt shock for about $400 with a warranty. If you needed a pump the whole back would go down, not just one side.

To be honest with you $1000 should have gotten you a new pump, and shock.

Oh yeah, a good thing to always remember.... when you get parts replaced. Always always ask for your original part back, so if you think someone is trying to get you, you can have the part looked at to tell if that was really the problem.

Last edited by Benz5656; 08-09-2009 at 09:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
asnbabe (08-01-2016)