S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Need Opinion - "Display Defective" message. Dealer said L/F SAM faulty???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Need Opinion - "Display Defective" message. Dealer said L/F SAM faulty???

Two days ago my 2002 S430 show the message "display Defective - visit shop" along with brake warning light constantly lights up, auxilliary radiator fan constantly on high speed, No air cond, plus passenger side low bean out. Took the car to the dealer found defective SAM. r/r old Sam and a hard reset brought everything back to normal for 1/2 day then back to the same thing.

I know there was a recall on the instru cluster on this year/model but the dealer didn't carry out the recall repair as they couldn't made it work with the new cluster a couple years ago and decided to leave the old custer in the car.

Questions: does the cluster has anything to do with the problem described? and are the problems definitely results of a defective SAM?

Oh one more thing, I replaced both low beam xenon bulbs becuase both were out. and the SAM problem came out next day. Wondering if there is any connection...

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by Frank I; 09-05-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
The symptoms you describe do sound like a bad SAM.

I don't know what caused your SAM problem, but it would not be related to the instrument cluster - the cluster would not cause a SAM problem. If you shorted anything during your bulb replacement, it could possibly have damaged the SAM.

BTW, the instrument cluster "recall" has been superseded by a 10 year extended warranty that is not dependent on the VIN.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-06-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Thanks Skylaw. I don't think the bulb replacement caused it. For one thing the car was turned off during the replaceement which is a simple process, and for another the low beam worked for a while before the problem occured. Also, after the r/r sam and a hard reset the problem was solved temporary. So if it was not the cluster then I suppose a defective SAM is also repsonsible for creating the "Display Defective" message though the message was not appropriate as it has nothing to do with the display other than having the brake warning ligh stayed on.

Any trick in removing SAM?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz s500
(Display defective)⚡ error message

Any fix to this I'm having same problem with a 2002 Mercedes benz s430 once I switch the car on bone of the accessories work radio comes on/off intermittently no a/c, passenger low beam bulb works but is out I believe there is water damage somewhere if anyone finds a fix post a reply
Old 10-25-2019, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Demontrey
Any fix to this I'm having same problem with a 2002 Mercedes benz s430 once I switch the car on bone of the accessories work radio comes on/off intermittently no a/c, passenger low beam bulb works but is out I believe there is water damage somewhere if anyone finds a fix post a reply
If there is water damage you need to pull up passenger floor carpet starting under the dash , and dry out the metal floor and wiring that runs in a trough under the floor to the back seat and rear Sam