S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New Here Looking for S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550
New Here Looking for S600

Hi All! I'm new here, just signed up today. I'm looking for an S600 somewhere in the 2003-2006 year range with preferably under 50k miles. Like everyone, I'm looking for a good deal. My preference would be black or silver with a black/dark gray interior (a must). I'd prefer for it to be nicely loaded (on top of the standard S600 goodies) and the AMG pkg.

I'm looking to purchase in the next 1 or 2 months. I've been looking daily at Cars.com, AutoTrader.com and EbayMotors. It's very uncommon to find one of these in my area (Nashville, TN) but I am keeping my eyes open. If any of you know of one for sale that you think is a good deal, please post up here. I'm traveling to Miami on business the first week of October and would love to find one down there and just drive it back home.

Also, if any of you would give me any advice on what specifically to look out for (on any one of these model years) or if history has shown that one of these years should be avoided on the S600, I'd like appreciate the input. So far what I'm hearing is suspension and auto close doors. Curious too, I've heard many mention the AMG seats, how are they different than the stock heated/ventilated stats?

Thanks again and look forward to joining you all as an owner soon.

Last edited by EarthQuake; 09-22-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by EarthQuake
Also, if any of you would give me any advice on what specifically to look out for (on any one of these model years) or if history has shown that one of these years should be avoided on the S600, I'd like appreciate the input. So far what I'm hearing is suspension and auto close doors. Curious too, I've heard many mention the AMG seats, how are they different than the stock heated/ventilated stats?

Thanks again and look forward to joining you all as an owner soon.
I found MANY on Autotrader when I was looking, and I beleive it was Pompomo Bay Mercedes, AKA West Plam beach Mercedes that had a few nice ones. Just do yourself one BIG favor, DO NOT BUY ONE THAT DOES NOT HAVE DYNAMIC SEATS. It really is that nice of an option, IMHO. Forget the distronic, worse thing ever and can actulaly CAUSE a wreck in traffic, again IMHO.

Good luck my friend
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
very odd recommendations there. Dynamic seats are cool, but ultimately a bit gimmicky. If I intend to do spirited driving, I just inflate the side bolsters to max, and well, the pulse feature is not hugely beneficial.

I do like distronic, and there is no way it will cause an accident, if you're not asleep behind the wheel.

I'd say the only options I couldn't live without are parktronic, keyless go, and the electronic trunk closer.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I do like distronic, and there is no way it will cause an accident, if you're not asleep behind the wheel.
You are definitenly unique my friend.

Okay Distronic 1 o 1:

1.You are in traffic at 60 MPH, someone cuts you off, BRAKES HIT HARD due to distronic

2. So, you go around siad traffic using your right foot, aka the gas.

3. You notice you are coming up on even more traffic, note you are doing 70 now, and traffic is doing 60.

4. You lift your foot off the gas and prepare to get back over into the right, but WAIT. Distronic has hit your brakes HARD and you can no longer get over safely.

YES I am over simplifing it a bit. But you can take distronic and well you know. If you are a sheep, it is GREAT, well almost. If you have not been neutered, you will HATE IT, again IMHO.

Have fun, and be safe
Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
You are definitenly unique my friend.

Okay Distronic 1 o 1:

1.You are in traffic at 60 MPH, someone cuts you off, BRAKES HIT HARD due to distronic

2. So, you go around siad traffic using your right foot, aka the gas.

3. You notice you are coming up on even more traffic, note you are doing 70 now, and traffic is doing 60.

4. You lift your foot off the gas and prepare to get back over into the right, but WAIT. Distronic has hit your brakes HARD and you can no longer get over safely.

YES I am over simplifing it a bit. But you can take distronic and well you know. If you are a sheep, it is GREAT, well almost. If you have not been neutered, you will HATE IT, again IMHO.

Have fun, and be safe
well I hate to argue, but in this situation, distronic would have been overriden by your use of the throttle, and therefore would not come into affect until you reached your original speed of 60mph.

Not to mention any tap of the brake pedal cancels distronic.

Realistically, you should not use ANY cruise control in heavy traffic.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Originally Posted by Oliverk
well I hate to argue, but in this situation, distronic would have been overriden by your use of the throttle, and therefore would not come into affect until you reached your original speed of 60mph.

Not to mention any tap of the brake pedal cancels distronic.

Realistically, you should not use ANY cruise control in heavy traffic.
yea im with you on that oliver that guy obviously does not know what he is talking about!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=Oliverk;3729130]well I hate to argue, but in this situation, distronic would have been overriden by your use of the throttleYes, and therefore would not come into affect until you reached your original speed of 60mph.
NO, as soon as you lift off of the throttle, and are closer than distronis likes, it WILL hit the brakes to maintian its pre-determined safe distance ANYTIME you are driving regaurdless of your speed

Not to mention any tap of the brake pedal cancels distronic. True

Realistically, you should not use ANY cruise control in heavy traffic.[I did not say heavy traffic, how about any traffic/QUOTE]

Oh well, guys, to each his own. As I stated above IMHO, distronic is worthless. I really could care less wether or not you agree with me. I don't like it, period.

PS: Key less go is also a must as you stated above

Last edited by MRAMG1; 09-23-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by S500 Man
yea im with you on that oliver that guy obviously does not know what he is talking about!
If you only knew
Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
I think distronic is a waste. I agree dynamic seats are a must! I like parktronic as well. Ventilated seats come in handy.