S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Wheel Speed Sensor Diagnostics - Assistance needed - Thank You!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
Wheel Speed Sensor Diagnostics - Assistance needed - Thank You!!!

Greetings!

I've been reading alot ABOUT MY PROBLEM WITH BAS, ASP, AIRMATIC, STUCK IN 1ST on the forums and have a theory:

Many people resolved such problem by replacing a malfunctioning vehicle speed sensor / wheel speed sensor. Whichever one of four goes, I understand all of the systems listed above rely on the speed sensors, thus if one malfunctions, all these errors come up. This is my hope!! (before I cash out on Star diag at the dealer)

I'm really interested in doing this myself.
I have a multimeter.

Could some one please tell me the location of wheel speed sensors. I would like to check them visually, and perhaps run a test with multimeter - but how? Also I would like to check the fuses for them, if any.

You see, I recently had rotor, brake pad work done on all 4 wheels by an independent mechanic. It's either that, the car wash, coincidence, or everything together that are causing these malfunctions.

I have a feeling there may be a simple fix, such as one of these speed sensors going bad.

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
a multimeter and visual inspection won't do it. You'd need an oscilloscope to test the sensor.

Quite frankly, I'd spend the $115 for the diagnosis, and then buy the parts at www.parts.com, and install yourself.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM

W220
Oliver, thank you,

Do you think dealer will pin point correctly to the one which is malfunctioning. (Considering that is the fault)

I want to avoid being misguided to replacing an unneeded part.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
My dealer was able to pinpoint this with STAR quickly and without issue. Apparently they take speed readings from each wheel, and the one with the goofy sensor will show a reading that doesn't make sense.

This is a fairly standard issue and unless the dealer is really crooked, shouldn't attempt to hose you on it.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 AM

W220
Oliver,
Thank you once again for your assistance. I really appreciate your help.

I'm attaching diagrams from EPC as reference for the location of speed sensors in the front and rear.

If the shop confirms my problem, I will be doing the replacement myself, as long as caliper and rotors do not have to come out.

Would you say this is a complex DIY? Any specialized tools required? Thanks!

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Speed Sensor Diagnostics - Assistance needed - Thank You!!!-speed-sensor.jpg   Wheel Speed Sensor Diagnostics - Assistance needed - Thank You!!!-speed-sensor2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
As far as I know, you don't have to remove the rotor or dust shield.

I'd assume that bolt is a male torx, while means you'd need a female torx socket, but again, that is an assumption.

The dealer took care of my speed sensors under warranty, so I never looked into the DIY.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s430
My wheel speed sensors were causing all the same issues so before I invested in new ones, I disconnected them and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner and my car is like new again! I literally just finished the job... Took me about 20 minutes!!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 AM
jig

Originally Posted by Dreamer_d13
My wheel speed sensors were causing all the same issues so before I invested in new ones, I disconnected them and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner and my car is like new again! I literally just finished the job... Took me about 20 minutes!!
How easy is it to do this? Any pointers to a novice? Do you need to take the discs off|?

Thanks
Jig
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s430
If you take off the wheel, look on the rear side of the calloper, there will be a small 2 wire connector, note how you take it off because I believe you can plug it back in reverse...
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Dreamer_d13;4467325]My wheel speed sensors were causing all the same issues so before I invested in new ones, I disconnected them and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner and my car is like new again! I literally just finished the job... Took me about 20 minutes!![/QUOTE

Did you clean the connectors where it plugs in at the top of the wheelwell or just at the calipers or both? I removed mine at the caliper and cleaned it but still have all the error messages and also the hard steering.