S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2001 S class oil leaks, anything to worry about?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
2001 S class oil leaks, anything to worry about?

So I have a 2001 S55, and Mercedes told me I have a few leaks that are very minor, but something to keep in mind. Are they really minor, or can they lead to some type of bigger issue if not taken care of in the future? (i.e how long?)

First, the oil level sensor is leaking. They also recommend the valve cover gaskets and and to be resealed. The rear main seal is also leaking. (Was told this is common)

Lastly, I think there is a leak in the 13 pin connector - is that in the transmission area?

How common are these and which would you fix first? The techs told me there is nothing major to worry about now, so I think they are minor - but I'd like to hear your personal experiences!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
in order of which i would take care of first.. 1. transmission conduit (13 pin connector), 2. oil level sensor and then 3. the valve cover gaskets.. wouldnt really worry about the rear main seal too much since almost every benz i see has some small amount oil seepage back there..

basically if they are all just seeping, i wouldnt worry about it until you start to get drops of fluid onto the ground from either area. If nothing is getting your lower belly pans wet or dripping onto the ground, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of these older Benz's start to seep in these same areas. Biggest thing may be the smell of the oil burning off the exhaust manifolds if the valve covers start leaking bad enough and really its just a nuisance more than anything,.