S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Just bought 2001 S430 & have some Question's??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz S430
Just bought 2001 S430 & have some Question's??

Hi i just bought a 2001 s430 and i just had some quick questions about a couple of things.

1st) where is it best to keep the car at "W" or "S"? and what do they mean?

2nd) I pressed the cassete button for it to open and it went down and now every time the car is on it'll just stay down. I've messed with it for a while but it'll stay open for me to put in the cassete. It randomly opens (goes down) and close's up but wont stay closed?

3rd) what is that button with the (im guessing it's a shock?) for? you can press it once and the right light will turn on and press it again and the left light will turn on too? what exactly is that for and do?

4th) if i wanted to lower the car ive heard of something like you can mess with it and get it lowered because it has air suspension? or would you have to do it in a different type of way?

Im sorry if the question's are a bit confusing but these couple of things were bugging me so thought i should ask.. Thanks for the help
Old 12-25-2009, 09:48 AM

BMW M5 E60
Originally Posted by gopijatt
Hi i just bought a 2001 s430 and i just had some quick questions about a couple of things.

1st) where is it best to keep the car at "W" or "S"? and what do they mean?

2nd) I pressed the cassete button for it to open and it went down and now every time the car is on it'll just stay down. I've messed with it for a while but it'll stay open for me to put in the cassete. It randomly opens (goes down) and close's up but wont stay closed?

3rd) what is that button with the (im guessing it's a shock?) for? you can press it once and the right light will turn on and press it again and the left light will turn on too? what exactly is that for and do?

4th) if i wanted to lower the car ive heard of something like you can mess with it and get it lowered because it has air suspension? or would you have to do it in a different type of way?

Im sorry if the question's are a bit confusing but these couple of things were bugging me so thought i should ask.. Thanks for the help
Hi and congrats on the S
Just put down a deposit for my own W220, but gotta wait some more.

Anyways, the "W" and "S" modes are winter and sport if I recall correctly.
And question 3, I think thats for stiffening up the airmatic.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum.

See posts 3 and 7 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...indicator.html for information on the shift modes. "S" is the normal driving position.

I don't know what is going on with your tape door. Perhaps something is blocking it. Look for a piece of wire, perhaps, from one of the cassette-style devices folks like to use as a cheap solution for hooking up an mp3 player.

The "shock" button adjusts ride firmness; no lights is softest, one light is Sport 1 (slightly firmer and in my view the best all-around selection) and 2 lights is Sport 2, the firmest - best for harder driving and in strong crosswinds.

Lowering is discussed all over this forum and MBWorld. Try the search tool. There are electronic and mechanical lowering kits.

It's pretty plain you need your owner's manual. Unfortunately, the '01 and '02 S-Class manuals are not available for download at http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsOwnersManuals/ but you can get a '00 and a '03. The '00 will be closest to your car, except the voice control has a lever on the steering column in your car, where the '00 has it on the steering wheel. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...l-request.html - or http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post2282773 for other manuals, and a contact at MBUSA for ordering paper copies.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM

2001 Mercedes Benz S430
hey thanks a lot for the info guys. Really appreciate it
Old 02-23-2011, 03:00 PM

2001 Mercedes S430
new to the S430

I was reading your post about the dash switches , i didnt know what they were for either ... thanks ! ( 2001 S 430 )
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Welcome to the forum - it will teach you a lot. But the best place to start is the owner's manual and COMAND manual (see post #3). Also note the W220 S-Class Owners Start Here sticky at the top of the forum, and download the pdf file (the current W220 Encyclopedia version) at post #36.