S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

transmission Limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission Limp mode

Hi, I have an '02 S430 with 65k miles. About 3 weeks ago, the shifter was stuck in park, and with advice from forum members, I fixed it by removing the shifter box and romoved the broken plastic part (BTW, thank you). Anyway, it ran fine until a couple of days ago when it apparently slipped into Limp Mode, at least think it is. The car would run for a block or two and then would slip out of gear, as if it's in neutral. I woudl have to turn off the engine and start it back up for it to reset and go back into gear, only for a few block, or until i come to a stop, then it would slip out of gear again. The Check Engine light is on. The gear/shift indicator (DS or DW), next to the clock in the instrumental panel is showing blank.

I've check the plugs and wires on the gear box and they seem to be fine and snug. I spoke to a local Benz mechanic and he said that the problem might be that the ECU is not recognizing the gear box and that it would need to be "learned". Please help. Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
read this thread, same problem

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-question.html

seems to be a shift controller
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by tusabes
read this thread, same problem

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-question.html

seems to be a shift controller
More than likely yes except for the fact that Presafe is only availble on 2004 thru 2006 models.

Lucky u if its the 5 speed because you can access the TCM without opening the tranny which basically makes the job a DIY.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM

2006 S500, 2004 LX470
My 2006 S500 was acting like it was in limp mode. Only have 30K miles on the car & the extended warranty. Drove 6 miles to Stealership (although roadside assistance recommended that I have it towed in) Got a loaner C300 (via Enterprise rent a car) They called me to inform me that in checking the OCD code it looked like trans fluid was low. I authorized Tranny service and flush, they called me after the service and test drive to tell me it was doing the same thing. I mentioned that in chekcing MBworld it might by the valve body, they disagreed. They removed the tranny, opened it up and found the clutches fried. I'm getting a new tranny under the extended warranty. I don't think I should have to pay for the trans flush.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:54 PM

2002 s430
how did you fix it?

Originally Posted by Joe8912
Hi, I have an '02 S430 with 65k miles. About 3 weeks ago, the shifter was stuck in park, and with advice from forum members, I fixed it by removing the shifter box and romoved the broken plastic part (BTW, thank you). Anyway, it ran fine until a couple of days ago when it apparently slipped into Limp Mode, at least think it is. The car would run for a block or two and then would slip out of gear, as if it's in neutral. I woudl have to turn off the engine and start it back up for it to reset and go back into gear, only for a few block, or until i come to a stop, then it would slip out of gear again. The Check Engine light is on. The gear/shift indicator (DS or DW), next to the clock in the instrumental panel is showing blank.

I've check the plugs and wires on the gear box and they seem to be fine and snug. I spoke to a local Benz mechanic and he said that the problem might be that the ECU is not recognizing the gear box and that it would need to be "learned". Please help. Thanks
How did you fix the problem? What was the problem?
Old 03-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500 1997 + S600 2005
Gear shift issue....

Same here, my solution..... Not to touch the gear shift handle or put any downward pressure on it, once I'm moving. Shift very sensitive to pressure.