S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Gear Stuck in Park...CRAP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear Stuck in Park...CRAP!

so I have a 2002 S class, noticed that within the last several weeks changing gear into D seemed a bit 'stiffer' but thought nothing of it. this morning I tried to drive to work and it was stuck in P...came onto this forum and did a quick search and sure enough it is a common problem....browsed through the threads but didnt really understand what I should do at this point...do I go through mercedes or go get a mechanic to take away the broken plastic piece?

any input would be great thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by enter
so I have a 2002 S class, noticed that within the last several weeks changing gear into D seemed a bit 'stiffer' but thought nothing of it. this morning I tried to drive to work and it was stuck in P...came onto this forum and did a quick search and sure enough it is a common problem....browsed through the threads but didnt really understand what I should do at this point...do I go through mercedes or go get a mechanic to take away the broken plastic piece?

any input would be great thanks!
Yes, it's a common problem and one that I just went thru with my '02 CL500. I repaired mine myself with the use of the thread below. If you do the repair yourself, and you can do it if you are fairly handy, you need to decide if you want to replace the broken plastic part with another (available in metal from several indy's), or just leave the part out. If you leave the part out, there is a safety issue involved as the shifter can be put in gear w/o having your foot on the brake pedal. This is probably not a good idea if you have children. I personally left the part out but am now having second thoughts and I may redo the job with the metal part.
If you don't do it yourself, you can have an indy do it. You can obviously also have the stealer do it (more $) but they replace the entire shifter and you end up with the same potential problem as it will have the same plastic part that will probably break soon or later. My stealer wanted $1000. for the job. Someone who's familiar with the problem and has previously done the job could do it in a couple of hours. Good luck.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post3577201

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUmdD3koqE

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 03-30-2010 at 09:49 AM.