S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Radio Question/Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 2001, Lotus Esprit, Porsche Boxster, Chrysler Aspen, Ducati 848, MV Agusta F41000, CBR 600
Question Radio Question/Help

I have really bad static on a bunch of stations. No tint on the window. I took the car to a German Audio repair shop and he told me that I need to get this Part replaced (see jpeg). He checked the antenna and the Amp, it works fine. The problem is this unit pictured. He said it's link up to the command and phone. Does anyone know what it's called and where I can get one? Seems like the name of the unit is TANAPA model no. SYN8738A. Pls advise!
Attached Thumbnails Radio Question/Help-unit.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It is the Portable Support Electronics (PSE) module for the handsfree phone system. Specifically, it is a TimePort PSE. You may wish to replace it with a "Universal PSE" part #Q682 0971 rather than trying to chase down a very old and outmoded PSE made for a Motorola TimePort phone. While some of these (having a "blue label" can be used with newer equipment, you're better off just going with the Universal PSE.

You can add a "Cradle Eliminator Cable" and a V60 Bluetooth puck to make your car Bluetooth capable if you wish. See post #3 at http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=33872 for how (and more part numbers). The same information is available in the "How To Guide" sticky in the Audio and Electronics forum here, but the one in the link has been edited and posted more recently. It is easier to follow. It also explains that "blue label" thing a bit more.

Also, be aware that your car has linear amplifiers for each radio band, located in a bow ahead of your rear windshield and hidden by the headliner. If you are having the problem on just one band (AM, FM or weather), suspect a bad amplifier there.

If the problem is on all radio bands and all stations, suspect a disconnected antenna. It could be disconnected at the COMAND unit, or at a small box under the trunk liner on the right side.

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-13-2010 at 09:07 AM.