Soggy Benz....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
Soggy Benz....

Hey guys...
First post here, but long time lurker.... and, of course, I need help.

We've had about 4 inches of rain in the past two days.

Yesterday, I started it up and drove (just fine), but upon making my first turn (not a sharp corner) I noticed water coming in from high up on the passenger floor board. I have had a similiar issue with my Jeep Wrangler that was a flaw in the climate control system that allowed water to come in throught the duct work. I noticed the A/C wasn't working like it typically does, like the blower was only working about 1/3 capacity if at all. All of the controls seemed to work, and cold air would come out, just not being blown very hard.

At any rate, not sure if one has anything to do with the other, but today, started up and drove (again, just fine) to a 4 yr. olds B-day party (in the rain.) One of the other guests came in a said "the rear lights are on on the white Mercedes out there."

When I went out to check it out, the car wouldn't start.... It would turn over just fine, but won't fire. As I continued to attempt to turn it over, I noticed the dash display became glitchy... flashing on and off.

Any thoughts, suggestions, cures. Again, not sure any are related, but I'd bet more that they are than I did on my Derby horse.

Thanks guys, in advance.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Ohhhh, boy!

Welcome to the forum, and I hate to be the deliverer of bad news. They are definitely related.

Please see the W220 Owners' Encyclopedia sticky at the top of this forum - read the link under "Body - Water In Car." There is a link to a class action settlement for this issue - and also links to posts that discuss the problem in detail.

In all likelihood you have fried a SAM unit; maybe more than one. They're expensive. It's in the links. Be sure you file your claim for reimbursement.

It is sometimes possible to dry out the SAMs - that is discussed. However, contacts may corrode in them, leaving you with continuing problems. Trying to use a SAM before thoroughly drying it may damage it irretrievably.

Be sure to file your claim under the class action settlement.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-02-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM

2000 S430
Thanks Skylaw!

That's what I was afraid of....

Oh well... We'll see how bad it is... Once it stops raining.

I went to the W220 threads, and see a sticky of yours, and it mentions being the Encyclopeida Germanica vol. 107 (thanks for compiling this, btw.... it will be HUGE help down the road, I'm sure.)

But I couldn't find anything under Body, let alone water in car in that sticky. Am I at the right one?

Thanks again for all of your help!

DGSamsoil
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=33640
Old 05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
OOps! MBWorld has a short edit time, and wouldn't let me change the name of the sticky (as I did on other forums where it is posted). The W220 Owners' Encyclopedia on this forum is called "W220 S-Class Owners Start Here." It is at the top of the W220 forum - https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...tart-here.html.

Because of the inability to edit the thread, you may find the one at http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=33904 a little easier to follow. There, it's the W220 Owners' Encyclopedia.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-02-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:07 PM

S430
I am having the same issue after water leaked at the front due to blocked drain, and now i need to replace the Rear SAM as the car will not start. I had some issues with tail lights and brake lights coming on while the car was turned off! Due to the water, i need resources if possible for removing seats and floor covering so i can dry them out and also information on replacing the Rear SAM. I have a 2001 S430. If anyone can link me to some helpful resources or PM me if they have had this same kind of trouble, i would be very grateful. Thanks Also will a malfunctioning rear SAM cause the engine not to turn over? I know it deals with traction control and other somewhat vital components so i am hoping that it simply is not starting because the Rear SAM is fried and not because i have multiple problems :/
Old 12-06-2016, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
You have multiple problems . Just changing the SAM won't fix it because your entire floor under the carpet is filled with water, where the red battery cable runs its full of water

If you have comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance immediately file a claim before you try to dry it out. Water Damage is covered by comprehensive

The only way to fix this is pull up the carpeting and dry out everything and replace what's damaged

Soggy Benz....-163d48c7-cd36-4b06-80f0-a162a9ae29b4_zpsoztrwa7t.png

Last edited by tusabes; 12-06-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 AM

S430
My car insurance may have had it but I've already canceled my insurance because I recently moved and also because I'm not going to be driving my car for some time. It's unfortunate I didn't know about this sooner. I'm committed to fixing the car or scrapping it. I've already lifted the carpet in the back and taken off the back seat cushion to expose the area the Sam is located. Do you know of any resources that can help walk me through removing the seats and matting and changing out the SAM? I already know the car needs to be dried out and am aware of where the water has leaked for the most part. What I would like to know is if my car will start with a replacement SAM and a thorough drying out of everywhere water has leaked.

Last edited by jwthomas87; 12-06-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
You don't know what's shorted out and damaged until you start replacing parts . It's probably more than just the SAM. The only cost effective way to do this is if you get access to a parts car that had not sustained water damage . Craigslist and local wrecking yards are your best bet