S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Increasing Number of Electrical Issues? Battery Maybe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
Increasing Number of Electrical Issues? Battery Maybe?

First there's an intermittent problem with the left turn signal. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes not, with an accompanying alert on the dash.

And then we have an intermittent problem with the car not starting right away. It has to crank for 10-15 seconds, or sometimes it'll stop carnking before and we have to try it again before it'll start. It always did start eventually though. Most of the time it started right up though.

Then we have an intermittent airmatic warning on the dash, although the ride height of the car seems fine, although I don't know if the .7" or whatever it is speed sensitive lowering thing is working.

And now, ya turn the key and.....nothing. The lights, stereo, etc. work fine, but the engine won't turn over.

I saw on another post during a search that weak batteries can cause this kind of thing. Anyone else have this kind of cumulative experience and if so, what was the cause?

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I work offshore in Brazil and this is my wife's daily driver and she's at home all by herself. She's NOT a happy camper right now.

Cheers!
Wendell
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 PM

2004 S55 ///AMG, 2007 E350
I has similar problems and it was due a weak battery. Avoid jump starting the car or putting a trickle charger on it, best way is to replace the battery, these cars do not like jump starting and you will fry the control module.

If you need a jump start, you can always call MB Roadside Assistance, they will come to you at no charge, regardless of warranty or lack of it.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 PM

2000 S500
Originally Posted by Corsa9000
I has similar problems and it was due a weak battery. Avoid jump starting the car or putting a trickle charger on it, best way is to replace the battery, these cars do not like jump starting and you will fry the control module.

If you need a jump start, you can always call MB Roadside Assistance, they will come to you at no charge, regardless of warranty or lack of it.

Good luck.

Ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner! The wife put a charger to it (ouch), let it charge for a while, and it fired right up with no warnings. She's gonna have a new one installed tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
yeah, weak battery. Time for a new one.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:04 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
I've never had problems jump-starting mine... How would this fry the control module and which control module?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by cameraman123
I've never had problems jump-starting mine... How would this fry the control module and which control module?

Gateway control module, Corsa9000s got fried, $600 repair after jumping

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ump-start.html

w220s are one of the most sensitive cars to jump start. Better to never do it, and charge the battery after its disconnected from the car.