S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Stuck in park - metal gear lever review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Stuck in park - metal gear lever review

Hi all, just a repost of mine from benzworld.

First off thanks to all the people who have put time into writing the step by steps for replacing/removing the offending plastic part.

Mine was still functional, I had no problems with being stuck in park but while my car is off the road waiting other parts I decided to replace my plastic part with a metal part. I have a child so removing the part probably wasn't an option.

I purchased the part from www.monoglobal.com.au an australian place which is easy since I'm there. Can't comment on other suppliers but there are 2 types of plastic levers, a thinner and a fatter one. the website details the differences. I think the earlier models had the fatter one but I suspect my shifter had been replaced so mine was a thinner one.

The part was good and the service was good.

The thing to be aware of is that the metal part (aluminuim) is heavier than the plastic part and there is a little bit of play, about the same as the original one.

I think due to a combination of the weight and the play, (more so the weight) The part does click when accelerating and braking. It basically rocks foward and back a little. This is noticable when driving around the block if you know what you are looking for.

I'm going to leave mine in for now as I can't be bothered taking it out so I'll let you know long term if it still annoys me but I suspect it will.

I think personally I'd stick with a replacement plastic part as from what I read they don't seem to break that often. (as in yearly)

Josh
Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
yeah I ordered the plastic one from ebay and installed it. They look identical to the OEM one that was removed. The plastic one was also $70 and it came with two versions. I'll probably sell the other one.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Did you get a rattle or some play with the plastic one?

Thanks Josh