S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

I heard a grunting noise yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
I heard a grunting noise yesterday

I pulled up to the gas station yesterday to put some gas in and when I went to start it up to drive away it made a noise comming from under the hood like it was creaking and thud sounding noise. I turned off the car and turned it on again for it to happend again. I then poped the hood and looked underneath and everything sounded fine and looked fine it only made the noise at startup. I then turned it off and on again a 3rd time and no problems and I couldnt get it to go again. Any suggestions to what might have happened?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by westcoast5
I pulled up to the gas station yesterday to put some gas in and when I went to start it up to drive away it made a noise comming from under the hood like it was creaking and thud sounding noise. I turned off the car and turned it on again for it to happend again. I then poped the hood and looked underneath and everything sounded fine and looked fine it only made the noise at startup. I then turned it off and on again a 3rd time and no problems and I couldnt get it to go again. Any suggestions to what might have happened?
Although difficult to diagnose without hearing the noise, it may be the Airmatic suspension which is activated upon starting the engine. The first year W220 is particularly problematic and from my own personal experience with an early production S430 I suffered through numerous suspension issues. I hope I am wrong !
Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
I hope its not either but I did not notice any supension moveing at all while it did that and I have never heard the compressor either, is it in the engine bay or a different location?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
the airmatic compressor is in front of the front passenger wheel inside the wheel well, behind the foglight.