S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Dead Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S600
Dead Key

After looking through previous posts, and searching the "Start Here", I have not found an answer to my problem. My wife was driving my car and stopped to fill up at a gas station. After she filled the car up, her key would not start the car. She put the key in the ignition, but could not turn the key to position 2 or 3 to start the car. I figured it was just a dead battery in the key and asked her to push and hold down the unlock button to see if the red led light under the "panic" button would flash. It didn't. So I brought her a spare key and the car started without further incident. After changing the batteries in her key, the red led under the panic button still does not light and the key does not work to unlock or start the car. The other two keys I have continue to work fine. Could the key have just died without incident? She swears she didn't drop the key when this happened. Is there a trick to try to get the key to work again? Is it just "dead"?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by tdf711
After looking through previous posts, and searching the "Start Here", I have not found an answer to my problem. My wife was driving my car and stopped to fill up at a gas station. After she filled the car up, her key would not start the car. She put the key in the ignition, but could not turn the key to position 2 or 3 to start the car. I figured it was just a dead battery in the key and asked her to push and hold down the unlock button to see if the red led light under the "panic" button would flash. It didn't. So I brought her a spare key and the car started without further incident. After changing the batteries in her key, the red led under the panic button still does not light and the key does not work to unlock or start the car. The other two keys I have continue to work fine. Could the key have just died without incident? She swears she didn't drop the key when this happened. Is there a trick to try to get the key to work again? Is it just "dead"?
It must be dead. The good news is that there ae batteries inside the key that you can change. At the top of the key where you have the release for the hard key, there is a line. If you pry against that line the inner part of the key will seperate form the casing exposing the battery and the card.

I once had this happen to me and the chip on the card came off on one side ( bad solder ). I simply resoldered the connection and it was all good. Hopefuly yours is just a battery.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430 140k (07/11)
He already said that he did change the batteries.