Rough ride after brake replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430 140k (07/11)
Rough ride after brake replacement

2000 S430 220.170 132k miles

Replaced the rear brake pads and inspected the fronts last week and now the car has a very rough ride at all different speeds.
I have been searching the Forum for answers but wasn't able to find a remedy to this particular problem.

Here are some stuff to help diagnose the problem.
1. Car was jacked up from the side for each wheel for rear replacement of the pads and for the inspections of the front pads.
2. I have the updated upper strut seals done on 11/22/06 at 85k.
3. Both rear struts, airmatic compressor, pressure line and airmatic relay (Hella) replaced on 2/29/08 at 101k.
4. Car stance level is good, can see it raising when started up.
5. Car can be raised and lowered with the raise button inside.
6. While driving with normal settings (rough ride), when sport 1 engaged the ride gets stiffer and rougher, when sport 2 engaged the ride get more stiff and more rough. So, i can feel 3 different settings while driving, but the soft ride I had a week back.
7. Right and left lower joints and strut arms replaced 10/13/04 at 53k.
8. Battery test 12.40 756 CCA when off. Voltage above 14v when started up. Last replacement 7/12/04 at 48k. Water level good.
9. Tire pressure front 30.5 rear 33. I am planning to lower them to 29 and 32 today.
10. Ran Actron 9175 scanner for codes yesterday. No codes present. Should I use a different code reader?
11. No warning lights on dash.

Questions:
The roughness felt on all wheels, if 1 axle level sensor or 1 acceleration sensor is bad whould it effect all 4 corners? can all go bad at the same time?

Can the airmatic pressure valve unit and the pressure sensor be bad without codes?

Did I trigger something by raising the car at each corner while changing the brake pads. Is there a airmatic reset of some sort?

Would the car raise, lower normally and with raise button and stay at normal height overnight if there was a leak somewhere? Can this leak cause the rough ride.

Is it possible for all 4 struts to go bad at the same time? Would there be a trigger of a error code?

All help is greatly appreciated!