S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Reviving a old S430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500
I'm not an expert on any of this stuff. But I found an STS system that cost $2500 for a single turbo +extras and a twin turbo about $3500 + extras. According to a few sites several makes and models are using it to produce 120+ at the wheels with a single turbo pushing 5 or 6psi. Some customers are also claiming better gas mileage. I think you must be crazy to use the twin kit. I guess everyone running 20x10 rims with 275 wheels could handle the torgue. Based on the numbers it may boost my s500 to mid to high 400s in torgue. I could also dial up the boost as need. One customer stated he is getting an extra 50lbs going from 5psi to 9psi.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:42 AM

S430
Why????

You drive one of the best cars in world, there is a reason that Mercedes build the S430 the way it is, it drives like a dream, and everything in that car is made to proportions. Tinkering with the engine, to get more HP is silly to me, you asking for trouble, let alone your mileage per gallon gets worse, the current rating for fuel consumption in the S430 is 4 out of 10, pretty low, the overall rating for this car is 67, whereas the noise output is a 9 out of 10, nice and quiet when driving, why do you want to change all that? Putting on 18 or even 20" rims seriously compromises your ride. Lower profile tires makes the car so much more bumpy, which in return put extra strain on the airmatic system, but if you have money to burn to replace your air ride at about $ 1800.00 each, not taking in consideration the labor on top of that, why not go for it. If you like horse power, then please buy a Mercedes that has those desired HP's. The S430 is a sedan, it is NOT a sports car. the car looks beautiful as it is. The only upgrades I would consider is the front grille, I love that big 7.5" Mercedes emblem, the grille is a perfect fit on the S430 and it looks sweet. Maybe the steering wheel, replacing it with a wood/leather steering wheel. The backup mirror covers with the upgraded arrow shaped turn signal lights. The tail lights with the LED tail lights. Nice chrome rims, but the same 16" If anything go's wrong with that car you are in for some major bucks to get it repaired, even if you are mechanical inclined and think you can do it yourself, it still cost you a bundle. Not to mention if sensors go out, I don't like malfunctions to pop up on my computer display, they can be expensive. As soon your front wheels enter the repair facility of a Mercedes dealer, it cost $ 200.00, and they haven't done anything yet. It is easy to buy a Mercedes, but think about the maintenance, just 16 spark plugs run
$ 160.00 that is if you put in the ones who suppose to be in there. Keep the car as is, make it look even better with minor upgrades, but leave the engine alone, 275 HP is enough for this car, enough to suck up some rice burners into my tail pipe. No offense to anyone who like to upgrade there S430, but to me, tinkering with the engine is a big no no.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM

335i
Originally Posted by mistyfied
You drive one of the best cars in world, there is a reason that Mercedes build the S430 the way it is, it drives like a dream, and everything in that car is made to proportions. Tinkering with the engine, to get more HP is silly to me, you asking for trouble, let alone your mileage per gallon gets worse, the current rating for fuel consumption in the S430 is 4 out of 10, pretty low, the overall rating for this car is 67, whereas the noise output is a 9 out of 10, nice and quiet when driving, why do you want to change all that? Putting on 18 or even 20" rims seriously compromises your ride. Lower profile tires makes the car so much more bumpy, which in return put extra strain on the airmatic system, but if you have money to burn to replace your air ride at about $ 1800.00 each, not taking in consideration the labor on top of that, why not go for it. If you like horse power, then please buy a Mercedes that has those desired HP's. The S430 is a sedan, it is NOT a sports car. the car looks beautiful as it is. The only upgrades I would consider is the front grille, I love that big 7.5" Mercedes emblem, the grille is a perfect fit on the S430 and it looks sweet. Maybe the steering wheel, replacing it with a wood/leather steering wheel. The backup mirror covers with the upgraded arrow shaped turn signal lights. The tail lights with the LED tail lights. Nice chrome rims, but the same 16" If anything go's wrong with that car you are in for some major bucks to get it repaired, even if you are mechanical inclined and think you can do it yourself, it still cost you a bundle. Not to mention if sensors go out, I don't like malfunctions to pop up on my computer display, they can be expensive. As soon your front wheels enter the repair facility of a Mercedes dealer, it cost $ 200.00, and they haven't done anything yet. It is easy to buy a Mercedes, but think about the maintenance, just 16 spark plugs run
$ 160.00 that is if you put in the ones who suppose to be in there. Keep the car as is, make it look even better with minor upgrades, but leave the engine alone, 275 HP is enough for this car, enough to suck up some rice burners into my tail pipe. No offense to anyone who like to upgrade there S430, but to me, tinkering with the engine is a big no no.
You should read the rest of the thread before replying (and maybe also pay attention to how old the thread is). I've had this car for nearly a year now, I know what goes wrong on these cars and I don't need to be educated on it...

that said (for the second time I think) I'm looking for a S55.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by mistyfied
The only upgrades I would consider is the front grille, I love that big 7.5" Mercedes emblem, the grille is a perfect fit on the S430 and it looks sweet. Maybe the steering wheel, replacing it with a wood/leather steering wheel. The backup mirror covers with the upgraded arrow shaped turn signal lights. The tail lights with the LED tail lights. Nice chrome rims, but the same 16" .

You are joking right? You just suggested the ugliest ghetto mods you can do to a benz....chromed out small rims, a big star on the fake plastic china grille, and cheap china LED tailights and turn signal mirrors? Wow, that would make a w220 an instant ghetto ebay special
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM

335i
Originally Posted by tusabes
You are joking right? You just suggested the ugliest ghetto mods you can do to a benz....chromed out small rims, a big star on the fake plastic china grille, and cheap china LED tailights and turn signal mirrors? Wow, that would make a w220 an instant ghetto ebay special
Agreed, and he thinks I'm being stupid for wanting it to be a little faster?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
nitrous

i dont see it mentioned here.it dosent sound like you have any sentimental reguard for the car so just go buy a nitrous kit for $1k and let her rip. you will smoke tires, out accelerate porches at freeway speeds, blow minds and eventually grenade the engine but it will be pure cheap fun til she go's!. what ever does go first engine/tranny will excede your budget for mods by thousands anyway so simply buy the model benz that comes from the factory with all the HP you need. Your other option is to appreciate what the car was designed to do and pamper it for years and it will return like no other automobile.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM

S430
Look around.

Originally Posted by tusabes
Have you ever noticed that no matter what you buy these day's, it is indeed made in either China, Malaysia, India, Korea, Taiwan and Mexico. You cannot buy anythings these days with good old American made craftsmanship. Having said that, yes those products I mentioned, are made in China, and so is everything else you buy in the store, at least the engine remains untouched, and I enjoy the ride every single day. And there is no need to get hostile, just face reality, you might not like it, but unfortunately, products made in China are on every inch of shelf space in every single store in the US. Almost every Mercedes S Class is build in Mexico, except for the Pullman variant, is that mean I'm driving a Taco car now? I am not try to tell anybody what to do with his/her Mercedes, as I stated, no offense to anybody who would like to upgrade there S430, but you might want to think twice before you tinker with the engine. And by the way, those what you called ugly cheap things, you cannot tell the difference, just that the tail lights are LED, you cannot see that it was made in China or in whatever country the car or the after market parts are coming from. The rims are 16" for various reasons as I already explained, (and where you avoid the subject of the airmatic), there are cheap rims, and there are quality rims, but of course, even with quality rims, don't be surprised if they are made in China as well. To top it all off, I have been to China many times, because my wife is Chinese, (I wonder if she is EBay ghetto as well) and many companies there are run and quality controlled and owned by either Germans and or Americans. So needless to say, and not always agreeing to that, lets face it, the majority of parts are made in China, weather you like it or not. Now if you really want to keep the car as is, "Quote" and not putting those cheap China parts on it "Unquote" then leave the car as it is, including the ENGINE. Anyway, think what you think, do what you want to do with your Mercedes, its your money and your car.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM

S430
NO.

Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup
Agreed, and he thinks I'm being stupid for wanting it to be a little faster?
I never said that you are or that I'm thinking that you are stupid, I did not attack you personally in any way. That you feel that I think that you are stupid, already indicates to me that you are hesitant to upgrade your engine not exactly knowing in what kind of trouble you will run into in the future by doing so. You do not need to feel offended by my comments, I stated what I would do and not do, it is nothing personal, you feel that I attacked you personally, and that is not the case. There are no stupid things in this world, everything is done for a reason, maybe in our point of view it appears to be stupid, but I like to call it a little less intelligent and probable could of been done better. like you,you want the car faster, it might not be very intelligent, but its your choice to do so, the intelligent part kicks in if you think ahead and ask yourself, what are the consequences to do so, what is it going to cost me, and more important, how much will it cost to fix various problems I will have with my car. My wife drives a 09 S500, yes it is faster then my car, and yes it has about 65 more HP's then my car, (the car is rated at 340 HP) but it also uses more fuel, and it drives like a dream, and I do not care if her car has 200 more HP then mine, if I want a faster Mercedes with a bunch of HP's I buy a CLK DTM AMG, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, now your talking. Keep in mind, I just posted what I would do to my Benz, I don't care what you do with your car. The only upgrades I have done to my car is, new spark plugs, air filters, oil changes and replace a turn signal light bulb. My car is a 2000 with 108.000 miles on it, I own the car for 4 years, and that is all the problems I had with this car, call me lucky, or just intelligent to maintain the car very well, and taking care of whatever needs to be done to keep it running smoothly using the parts Mercedes recommends, and yes, for that too there is a reason they advice what to put in your car as far as oil and spark plugs is concerned, the car will less longer and there will be considerable less troubles. It is easy to buy a Mercedes, but it is not easy to maintain it, it can be very costly. I f I have to work on my car myself, I probable cannot afford the car in the first place, if something is wrong with my car, it will be fixed by a certified Mercedes mechanic, not by myself, and not some DIY (do it yourself) mechanic. If I cannot afford to get my car fixed by a Mercedes mechanic, I be driving a Toyota corrola. Just my opinion, that's all.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 AM

S430
Thumbs up Smart

Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
i dont see it mentioned here.it dosent sound like you have any sentimental reguard for the car so just go buy a nitrous kit for $1k and let her rip. you will smoke tires, out accelerate porches at freeway speeds, blow minds and eventually grenade the engine but it will be pure cheap fun til she go's!. what ever does go first engine/tranny will excede your budget for mods by thousands anyway so simply buy the model benz that comes from the factory with all the HP you need. Your other option is to appreciate what the car was designed to do and pamper it for years and it will return like no other automobile.
Now here is a very intelligent quote, which I really appreciate. PAMPER THE CAR, AND DRIVE IT FOR WHAT THE CAR WAS DESIGNED TO DO.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM

S430
Wink Really.

Originally Posted by 02Drunkenup
You should read the rest of the thread before replying (and maybe also pay attention to how old the thread is). I've had this car for nearly a year now, I know what goes wrong on these cars and I don't need to be educated on it...

that said (for the second time I think) I'm looking for a S55.
Your are still looking, hmmmmmm almost 1 year now hmmmmmm, it's not that they are not available is it. Please understand that I do not try to educate you, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink it. It was my personal opinion, what you do or think of it is entirely up to you, but please, don't feel that I attack you personally just because your opinion is different then mine. A different approach of my opinion would have been more appreciated, no need to go into attack mode.