Rare starting issue on W220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 w203 c230 coupe
Rare starting issue on W220

Hi everyone,
As I have checked the forum once a week, since I purchased my first mercedes 3 years ago, this will be the first time to actually post an issue.

My 2000 S430, with 125K miles on it is a great car, except one thing, it has an unusual starting problem, that has been there for almost a year and no one can figure it out, even the Benz gurus in the 4 local MB dealerships (Seattle area). And the problem is getting worse with the time.

The car does not want to start.

when the key gets to the second position, there is something incomplete, and it will not unlock the transmission lever, and the car will not start at all.

I have noticed that if I haven't driven it for a while, like a week or more, it will engage almost immediately, if not on the first try, then in the next few.

Also I have noticed on my trip to San Francisco, that the warmer the weather, the fewer attempts it requires to start up. And Vice Versa, when its too cold, it will not start for 10min. constantly rotating the key.

Sometimes on a very rare occasion it will start, but the gear knob will be stuck, until I kill it and start it again.

After a 3 day inspection in "Phil Smart - Dealership", they didn't find any codes whatsoever, but narrowed it down to the point where the transmission needs to engage, but it doesn't and then the immobilizer won't let the engine to start.
What I have been told by the DEALER was that there was a wire harness socket/plug on the transmission, connected to the transmission computer (EGS) that is being perforated (common issue) and it is using the wire shield as a pipe and it is pumping TRANSMISSION FLUID to the EGS. They have replaced the socket and cleaned the EGS (inside). But unfortunately that didn't solve anything.

The car had complete tune up @100k miles, I know for sure that it is not the Key or the key socket, (as the dealer states that they are functioning correct) also it is not the security system. the socket/plug on the transmission was replaced it is not the transmission, it is in perfect health(dealer statement). it must be somewhere else. Next step will be replacing the EGS,

If someone has any idea or has encountered such a problem, please let me know how to fight it. I have put almost $2k so far and no one can tell me where the problem is. Also feel free to comment on my post with any suggestions or cures. If someone knows a good independent Mercedes Benz Service in the NorthWest of USA, please refer it to me.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
could be the shifter, not thinking its in park so car wont start.

There are lots of shifter problems with the w220, most allowing the car to start but with the lever being stuck in park
Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 S500
I have a question to help me understand the problem. Is it that the engine is not turning over, or is the engine turning over but not starting?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
how much is egs replacement with labor? im thinkin its egs.. i mean MB did state that everything else is functioning, u did mention the socket has been replaced, maybe the egs needs replacement as well now?? also, they couldnt diagnose the egs with the star system.. im assuming the egs would take hours of labor to replace? even just to replace and tell u the diagnosis of the problem..

i guess depending on labor cost and egs - im located in seattle and have a few buddies who do this for a living, will charge half of what any MB local dealer around here will do, if interested PM
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42 PM

2003 w203 c230 coupe
Originally Posted by Trinsoca
I have a question to help me understand the problem. Is it that the engine is not turning over, or is the engine turning over but not starting?
Tthe engine is not turning over, its not a CPS, because when it turns, it starts.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 PM

2003 w203 c230 coupe
Originally Posted by classyS
how much is egs replacement with labor? im thinkin its egs.. i mean MB did state that everything else is functioning, u did mention the socket has been replaced, maybe the egs needs replacement as well now?? also, they couldnt diagnose the egs with the star system.. im assuming the egs would take hours of labor to replace? even just to replace and tell u the diagnosis of the problem..

i guess depending on labor cost and egs - im located in seattle and have a few buddies who do this for a living, will charge half of what any MB local dealer around here will do, if interested PM
MB suggested that I should replace the EGS, $460 + $300 labor, but they were not sure that this is causing the problem. My other choice is to get a used EGS for $150 from E-bay, but I am not sure if it does require additional programing. I have been told that if it is new, it needs to be programed, but if it is used, it doesn't. That's my dilema now, should I pay 150 or 750
Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM

2005 S500
You may want to check the starter (engine not turning over) and the inhibitor switch. If the inhibitor switch is going bad it will not allow the started to turn. Check all connections to the starter and make sure there is power when trying to start. Also try leaving the vehicle in the N position parking brakes active and try starting in the N position.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 AM

2003 w203 c230 coupe
I will check the starter connections and the N position, but I have no idea what is inhibitor switch. Can you help me with that???
Old 09-11-2010, 10:15 PM

2003 Mercedes S-430
Its your EIS module. I had the same problem on my car. Its a pricey fix. They quoted me at 1600 and i got them down to 1200. The codes dont show up cause the problem has to occur at the dealership when they are scanning it. I had to leave my car a few days for them to finally scan it when it was not starting. If you have any questions let me know
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Sclass
your best bet would be to get rid of that POS

w220 2000-2002 years specifically are the worst cars on the road period.

and the 2003-06 are slightly better but the same crap.

my 2000 s500 burnt down completely in my driveway for a battery recall that caused a static discharge fire in the trunk.

your problems have just begone... other then the engine. the entire w220 line up is garbage.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by Hercules86
your best bet would be to get rid of that POS

w220 2000-2002 years specifically are the worst cars on the road period.

and the 2003-06 are slightly better but the same crap.

my 2000 s500 burnt down completely in my driveway for a battery recall that caused a static discharge fire in the trunk.

your problems have just begone... other then the engine. the entire w220 line up is garbage.
Trade in for a 65, you won't look back. You know you miss that smooth acceleration.

In my 30k miles/3yrs of ownership. I've only had my pump and right passenger strut go bad(within last 6 months, at 90k miles so it's probably a miantnece issue too). I changed up controls arms but I consider that maintenance. Pretty reliable wouldn't you say?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 PM

2003 w203 c230 coupe
Originally Posted by andrica11
Its your EIS module. I had the same problem on my car. Its a pricey fix. They quoted me at 1600 and i got them down to 1200. The codes dont show up cause the problem has to occur at the dealership when they are scanning it. I had to leave my car a few days for them to finally scan it when it was not starting. If you have any questions let me know
Andrica11, thanks for the reply. It is not the EIS module, that was the first thing MB checked, and I have just purchased a brand new key. The diagnostic shows that the EIS is passing every single attempt, the signal gets lost somewhere after "driver ready". eventually at some point in the comunication between the ECU and the EGS.

First thing in Monday will be checking all the connections on the STARTER, as I have found this link that explains some about Starter and ECU failure:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-w220-mercedes

Then the EGS will be replaced, and if the problem still exist I will have to get some professional GURU help
Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM

2005 S500
stillche
did you get the PM?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:43 AM

S500 w220
Crank position sensor