S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Strange -Check Sidelight - Check Low Beam Error - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500
Thumbs down Strange -Check Sidelight - Check Low Beam Error - Help!!!

Hi, I am new to Mercedes ownership but have just taken the plunge a bought a 1999 S500 L W220.

When i collected the car last week, there was an intermittent CHECK SIDELIGHT message on the dash, but turn off the engine, restart and it went away.

I have today fitted new facelift rear lights (which work 100%) and whilst at it thought I may upgrade the front sidelights to LED's, however, I didn't get that far :

The Front Left Sidelight is now permanently not working - all i did was remove the blade bulb - try an led blade bulb (which didnt work) and then replace the original.

I have swapped the normal sidelights bulbs over from left to right to no avail so it isn't the bulbs.

Any Idea's???

I have now a CHECK SIDELIGHT L message and also a CHECK LOW BEAM L message on the dash and i have noticed that the Low Beam takes a second longer on the L than the R to come on - They are Xenon, but both still work.

The message wont go away or clear, so other functions now cant be used!!

I doubt it is connected, but also seemingly at the same time, my CD multichanger is playing up suggesting that I have only one or two discs in or no magazine, or that it's scanning the magazine etc???

I am completely at a loss - have no technical knowledge and am possibly out of my depth with an S Class.

Please can someone help a fledgling Merc owner???
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500
took the car to Main agent, who fitted two new bulbs - the problem was still there until they cleared off a fault code with STAR (whatever that is), apparently, the car remembers the fault and even when the cause is repaired the fault remains as the SAM signal acquisition module shuts down the power to the bulb until the fault code is cleared by STAR. That really Sucks. Having second thoughts about this Merc Lark, sounds like a way for dealers to get money. Though someone out there would have known this!!!