S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

how do I air up new strut??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S430
how do I air up new strut??

The factory strut replacement instructions say 'don't air up struts while tires can touch ground or bellows will be destroyed'. So I put new struts on and turn on the car- the compressor doesn't run at all. I press stiffer suspension setting and raise car button- still nothing. The new struts came with some air in them, so I go to see how low they are and if they don't need more air. As I lower car it is sinking to the floor again and the compressor comes on. I immediately stop the compressor, remembering the warning, and raise the car up again. So if I can't lower the car to air it up, and the compressor won't come on unless I lower the car, what am I supposed to do?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM

2000 S430
anyone?
Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM

2000 S430 140k (07/11)
You need to be a little more clear on your description.
You say "So I put new struts on and turn on the car- the compressor doesn't run at all. I press stiffer suspension setting and raise car button- still nothing. The new struts came with some air in them, so I go to see how low they are and if they don't need more air. As I lower car it is sinking to the floor again and the compressor comes on."

The car should be off at this point.
Assuming you're lowering the car with a jack, should lower it to the level the car was before the replacement, around 14.5 to 15" from center cap to the bottom of the fender lip on top. Then (the compressor fuse should have been pulled prior to the replacement) put the fuse back on and start the car. You may not see a difference in the suspension height and not hear the compressor pumping. Then take the jack out and the pressure should hold.
Turn the car off at this point and wait a few minutes and start again and test higher level by pushing the raise button inside. If there is no other problem other than the struts you replaced, your car should function correctly.
If you loosened the lower spring arm from the chassis, do not fully tighten it until the full weight of the car is on the tires.