S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

'Fuel Filler Cap Open' warning & Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Question 'Fuel Filler Cap Open' warning & Check Engine light

Am about halfway through my current tank and driving today the red 'Fuel Filler Cap Open' display comes up on the MFD. As I'm pretty certain it isn't open (not come on since fill up) I pressed the 'R' button and continued on. A few hours later it came on again and I cancelled it, then noticed the dreaded 'Check Engine' light was on.

When I got home I looked at the MFD section in the manual and sure enough (given the generic nature of 'Check Engine' it notes this could come on with the filler cap being open). I turned the engine off, opened the cap, closed it and again and the light was still on, so pretty sure it isn't filler cap related.

Anyone seen this before, or have any pointers as to why this might be occurring? Perhaps symptomatic or some other issue?

Pointers are much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 500
same exact thing happened to me.
Let me know if you had the chance to fix it or got it checked :] thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by imimike
same exact thing happened to me.
Let me know if you had the chance to fix it or got it checked :] thanks
Must have fixed itself because I didn't take it to the dealer and I never saw the thing happen again.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
If the CEL illuminates because something simple happened - like the filler cap - once the fault is corrected. it will usually reset itself after about 10 starts.

On the other hand, if the fault isn't corrected, it will remain on.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 AM

E500
Hello All,

i have same issue with the "fuel filler cap warning" on E500 2003 and check light is on, i have changed the fuel cap to new OEM one and the check light is gone for few days and again it is back now, any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:19 AM

GLE400
Originally Posted by Fraser
Am about halfway through my current tank and driving today the red 'Fuel Filler Cap Open' display comes up on the MFD. As I'm pretty certain it isn't open (not come on since fill up) I pressed the 'R' button and continued on. A few hours later it came on again and I cancelled it, then noticed the dreaded 'Check Engine' light was on.

When I got home I looked at the MFD section in the manual and sure enough (given the generic nature of 'Check Engine' it notes this could come on with the filler cap being open). I turned the engine off, opened the cap, closed it and again and the light was still on, so pretty sure it isn't filler cap related.

Anyone seen this before, or have any pointers as to why this might be occurring? Perhaps symptomatic or some other issue?

Pointers are much appreciated. Thanks!

I have the exact same issue as you, after 3~4 days it fixed automatically.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
One of the things checked during Georgia's annual emissions inspection is the fuel filler cap. The cap is removed from the car and installed (using the necessary adapter) to the computerized test equipment. My cap failed, which meant that my 2003 S430 failed the annual inspection. Replaced the cap, got my free reinspection, and passed the test.

I had not received any error message, nor had the CEL illuminated. I can only assume that the vent mechanism within the cap can and does fail, so being loose might not be the real problem.