S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Mysterious Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Power Steering leak

Drove my 2000 S430 from Vegas to Chicago without any issues. While in Chicago I only drive it a few days a week. I go to start the car and hear a loud noise under the hood. I had a feeling it was the power steering pump so I turn the wheel and sure enough it made worse noise. Moved the car out of the garage to get a good look under for leaks and see a stream of power steering fluid dripping under the car which drained the reservoir clean, it was a good amount. I filled it back up so I can try to locate the leak but now it's working fine

Drove it around the block a few times and didn't see any leaks. Pump seemed to whine a little when I initially started it up but was quiet after the short drive.

Where can that amount of fluid leak from and now not leak at all?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
only thing that could deliver such a stream would be a pressure line. perhaps it seals up as the car gets warm?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the car was cold when I refilled the reservoir, started it up, and turned the wheel full left/right a several times. It's actually colder now compared to when it happened.

When I get home I'll fire her up and try it again to see if any leaks appear and drive it close to home. With my luck once I take it on a longer drive it will happen then

Just