S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Please Advise! My S shakes bad when I stop!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S55 & S500
Please Advise! My S shakes bad when I stop!

I was driving down the freeway one day and my son said it seems as if I have a warped roter because Blue (name of my car) was shaking. I took it in for brake job, but still shakes at 60mph. Now I noticed that stopping is a rough situation, it seems like the tire will jump off. Although this is my regular mechanic & he's worked on my cars b4, I wasn't sure if he took me for a ride, so I went to another mechanic and played dumb. The 2nd mechanic said I need a set of new control arm bushings, but I can't buy them without the struts & I can't buy just the 1 side I need.
I hate the feeling that mechanics tell me bs because I'm a woman, so I came to u guys 4 your opinion & advise. I want to go back to my regular mechanic once he gets back from the holiday break, but with a little more knowledge.
(BTW, I'm a newbie, please take it easy on me. )

Thanks 4 your help, kc
Old 12-26-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
why can't you buy control arm bushings without the struts? (in other words, you absolutely can).

I'd start here personally if you're sure the brake disks are true.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:47 PM

S55 & S500
That's what I wanted 2 know... why couldn't I? I'm glad I came here 4 some real & unbias advice. Thanks Oliverk
Old 12-26-2010, 04:48 PM

2005 S55
Originally Posted by kczmb
I was driving down the freeway one day and my son said it seems as if I have a warped roter because Blue (name of my car) was shaking. I took it in for brake job, but still shakes at 60mph. Now I noticed that stopping is a rough situation, it seems like the tire will jump off. Although this is my regular mechanic & he's worked on my cars b4, I wasn't sure if he took me for a ride, so I went to another mechanic and played dumb. The 2nd mechanic said I need a set of new control arm bushings, but I can't buy them without the struts & I can't buy just the 1 side I need.
I hate the feeling that mechanics tell me bs because I'm a woman, so I came to u guys 4 your opinion & advise. I want to go back to my regular mechanic once he gets back from the holiday break, but with a little more knowledge.
(BTW, I'm a newbie, please take it easy on me. )

Thanks 4 your help, kc
love that you named your car blue .. agree with above poster, I don't see why you would need to buy both struts and control arms for 1 control arm replacement .. with all the mechanical people here odds are someone will chime in who has had the issue or made this repair.

best of luck and happy new year!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM

S55 & S500
Thanks shaw01, I read thru the forums b4 I posted and surprisingly, I didn't find much help with this problem. Although some had similar problems, info was vague.
It would help to find others in the Atl area that could advise & give referrals. Every1 here seems 2 have lots of knowledge.
I just wanted to educate myself b4 going back 2 mechanics because i don't want them to rip me a new 1, I like the 1 I got.

Happy New Year 2U All!!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 492 Likes on 435 Posts
Mercedes
shaking only when you apply the brakes is usually a warped rotor. a bad control arm would shake all the time
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
That's what I wanted 2 know... why couldn't I? I'm glad I came here 4 some real & unbias advice. Thanks Oliverk
I actually may have been wrong in that you can't buy the bushings alone. However, you can get the lower control arm for $220, and its probably easier that way than to have to press in bushings.

Originally Posted by tusabes
shaking only when you apply the brakes is usually a warped rotor. a bad control arm would shake all the time
Not necessarily, although I agree that the brake rotor would be the place I would start.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM

2001 S500
I knew my bushings and or control arms where bad because my car squeaked. It sounded like bad springs, something you would hear from a old junk car or truck. Did you notice any squeaking noises from the front? Has anyone looked at your motor mounts or transmission mounts? I've seen post about the mounts causing the car to shake. What's the year of your car?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:48 PM

S55 & S500
This one is the 02 S55, so it could be anything at this point, at the 100k mark. I did hear a little creek once, then a brake squeal once. So odd because there's been very little noise so far.
I'm taking notes on everything you all said because I have an appt with the mechanic. I'll ask them to look at the rotor 1st, then go from there.
This info has helped a lot with my research on parts to get an idea on cost.
Thanks guys, kc
Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 AM

2014 S550 4matic
This one is the 02 S55, so it could be anything at this point, at the 100k mark. I did hear a little creek once, then a brake squeal once. So odd because there's been very little noise so far.
I'm taking notes on everything you all said because I have an appt with the mechanic. I'll ask them to look at the rotor 1st, then go from there.
This info has helped a lot with my research on parts to get an idea on cost.
Thanks guys, kc
check your tires as well a busted steel belt will make the rear shake also
Old 12-28-2010, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 492 Likes on 435 Posts
Mercedes
is it shaking ONLY when braking, or at other times too?

Squaks and noises can be completely unrelated....they may indicate other worn out parts, but fixing those may not fix the shaking issue
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 PM

S55 & S500
Good news, Just my brakes! The shaking when I stop was a bad rotor like my son said. I also got a new set of rubber so it wouldn't shake on the freeway. My regular mechanic told me that my bushings, struts, shocks and all that stuff are in great condition. He even charged me half the price of the stealership. I was so happy I got spark plug & oil change (for great price too).
If any of u r n the Atlanta area and need a good Mercedes mechanic, I can tell u where 2 go.
Now Blue is smooth as ice. ;} I took the scenic route home today.
Thanks again to all of you 4 your great advice.