New (soon to be) Mercedes owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grandpa's old Grand Marquis
New (soon to be) Mercedes owner

Hello all!

I have been 'lurking' at this site for quite some time, and now thanks to a promotion at work I am getting ready to take the plunge on a Mercedes Benz.

There are two W220 mercedes I am looking at, and before I go on to describe them let me say:
1. I know, I should have my head examined for buying an 2001-2002 S-class mercedes LOL. I understand they are not like Honda Civics or even like my granpa's old Mercury. With their bells and whistles they are akin to high-tech fighter jets that are a blast to pilot but require lots of maintenance
2. In lurking I have gone over the various W220 starter primers to acquaint myself with the various quirks (Airmatic suspensions, electronics etc etc), thanks to all of you I have compiled a nice checklist to go over when I test drive them, obviously there are some things that will be missed, but hopefully with your help and input I will make the right decision.

So without further ado:
Car #1 is a 3 owner 2001 S500 with 75,000 miles and asking price of $11K. It was part of an inventory of a Mercedes enthusiast who wanted to turn his hobby into a business, and failed. I have the carfax report which I can forward or try to post (if it is allowed) but basically it had a rear-end collision at 44K miles and was repaired. As far as I know it was not issued a salvage title. According to carfax the 1st owner had it maintained about every 10,000 miles at a mercedes dealership until 33K, then at an import shop until 69K, when it was last maintained at a Honda dealership.

Car #2 is a 2 owner 2002 S500 with 135,000 miles and asking price of $10K. It's current owner is a salesman like myself and has has owned it since 60K miles and has used it as a daily driver putting 60 miles a day on it. He has extensive maintenance records (in a 3 ring binder in plastic sleeves, the records are over an inch thick).

Both of these cars are going in for a PPI at a mercedes authorized repair shop, and I will be test driving them next week or the following and looking for all the usual suspected items. I also have a Mercedes indie mechanic lined up for the maintenance and repairs, and have my wallet braced for it
I plan on using it as a daily driver driving about 1500 miles a month on it.

Of the two, which in your opinion would be the better buy, or neither? And if so, why?
And of the two, what in the way of maintenance and repairs can I look forward to in the next 15K to 20K miles?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
You're not going like my post, but I suggest you keep looking.

The 04-06 are not THAT much more expensive, but are far less prone to failure. You also get updated nav, arguably better build quality/materials, and the facelift.

Even if you don't get a newer one, I think you should look past the two you have here.

You have a fairly high miler and an accident car. There are so many for sale, I think you have better options.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
You're not going like my post, but I suggest you keep looking.

The 04-06 are not THAT much more expensive, but are far less prone to failure. You also get updated nav, arguably better build quality/materials, and the facelift.

Even if you don't get a newer one, I think you should look past the two you have here.

You have a fairly high miler and an accident car. There are so many for sale, I think you have better options.

Thank you Oliverk, I do appreciate the input, and you're absolutely right. Sometimes it takes a fresh perspective to cut through the haze and 'rose tinted view' of a Mercedes purchase.

With regard to your suggestions, a few comments:
I don't know if it's just my area, but in Kansas the 2004 to 2006 S-Class Benzs are still very pricey. It's rare to find one under $25K, let alone $20K. Maybe Kansans are just more proud of them
I will keep on looking, I still intend to go ahead and look at these cars, but I really appreciate yours and anyone else's input.

Keep `em coming!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 PM

2007 CLS550
I would pass on both those cars, without question. An accident car and a car with 135,000 miles. Not too choice, in my humble opinion. For what it's worth, I would suggest you go to autotrader.com and look for a black '99 S500 with 46,000 miles for $11,900. The car looks flawless. It's black with AMG wheels. I know it is the previous body-style, but I would MUCH rather have an immaculate example of the older body-style than a damaged or worn version of the later body-style. My $.02 worth. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
I agree with OliverK

Most important is to make sure all the electronics work. This car is a fully electronics dependant car. Dont buy one with any electronic isssues.

see if the airmatic components have been changed. They might have been on the 135k car, if they were recently done thats good.

If they are original on the 75k car, budget needing $1000-2000 repair in the next 24 months if you need 4 struts and a compressor or valve block

Engines seem bulletproof on these cars, trans lasts to high 100s/early 200s before needing replacement.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM

an update:

the 75K is officially off the list. Went to look at it today (it was in storage) and the car was sagging. Then at the test drive there was a definite wobbly feeling whenever it took corners. According to the maintenance records the airmatic suspension has not been replaced yet, and the instrument cluster was not replaced under the Mercedes Benz recall. The guy in question clearly had no clue about the car (granted he is the banker who repo'd the cars, not a Benz expert), and pulled the ol' "I have someone looking at this car Monday who has cash in hand" so I said thanks for the time and walked away.

Also I owe Oliverk an apology, in perusing Cars.com I found a few 2004 S430's in the KCMO area in the $15K range with around 70-85K miles on them. I will try and schedule some time to test drive them as well. Is it worth paying extra money on even with that kind of mileage and do the later ones have some of the aforementioned issues fixed?

Thank you again to everyone who's contributed!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Update 1/13

I know its still a 2001, but going to look at another S500, this one has 71K miles, triple black, clean title and meticulous service history. It is being PPI'd even as we speak. Just goes to show there are other fish in the sea.
Will keep you guys posted on what I find.

Thank you again for all your input!