S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Is this a mod friendly forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
look, we are all adults here. Its a public forum, and so you are gonna get the good with the bad. If something bothers you...don't read it (yes that goes both ways). If you can't handle someone criticizing the modifications on your car in a semi-mature way on the internet, you may want to get a thicker skin.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500/500SEL W126
Again, I don't care about what people think, this isn't a thread asking if people LIKE mods, I meant do people DO them. Would people on here use information like the rubbing troubles of going low with aggressive 20's and how to fix it? Or what bulbs you need to convert your interior lights to LED's? Ect... will that information be of use or do people just poo-poo such things. Thats what I meant. Would it be useful information here.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black
Originally Posted by IVXX
Again, I don't care about what people think, this isn't a thread asking if people LIKE mods, I meant do people DO them. Would people on here use information like the rubbing troubles of going low with aggressive 20's and how to fix it? Or what bulbs you need to convert your interior lights to LED's? Ect... will that information be of use or do people just poo-poo such things. Thats what I meant. Would it be useful information here.
Not very common then to answer your now clarified question. I read every single post and this is a fairly serious group of contributors about keeping our cars in good working order or some of the new technology improvements that come along. Not to "poo poo" your line of this thread at all - just saying there aren't that many posts like you're saying as a whole but go for it.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by tusabes
That is almost saying "well you can mod, but we can criticize it and theres nothing you can do about it". I think thats a foolish perspective.

Im not a mod at these forums, but am a mod at other forums. Here at MBWorld classifieds, the mods have expressly stated you CANNOT post a followup comment criticizing the price someone is asking. Even if it is ridiculously high.

Likewise, we should not criticize the modifications someone makes UNLESS they specifically ask "tell me what you think about these modifications"... if the OP wishes to limit thread discussion, such as not asking for opinions, but merely detailing their build and providing DIYs, they should have the right to post their build and DIY tips WITHOUT criticism.
Then we'll agree to disagree - as we often do on modding. However, again, I'm pretty familiar with the mods on the BenzWorld and MBUSA W220 forums, and I am sure it's going to be handled pretty much the way I laid out. Folks will be free to have their say - civilly.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
There are quite a few ppl here using lowering links, on 20s, upgrading LEDs etc so I think DIY's and videos would be very helpful.

Theyre helpful even to the stock crowd.... if your stock bulbs are out and you just decide to replace them with the factory type too.

So yes, please do post it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sienna SE, 01 S500, 05 LS430 UL
there's so much you can do to the w220 cosmetically.
Body kit is too limited: amg, wald, lorinser, jp-$$$$, and carlson....did I leave any out?
wheels-proceed with caution
updating the pre-facelift and taillights

interior: leds and sound sytem

Which is why I want to do a build thread and all that good stuff.

I very, VERY rarely get all worked up over the internet but the "go buy a honda" reaction to EVERYTHING get's really old...

It's ok to repaint my car, but I want to repaint it a Lexus color, so therefore, I should be driving a honda. (Do you know how hard it is to find a GOOD dark blue??)

The Ebay LED replacement blinkers are fine but if I want the 2010 style mirrors from ebay I should go buy a honda.

My airmatic has a ton of issues, I don't mind coil springs and want more information on them, well removing airmatic is a blasphemy and I should go drive a honda.

Twenties are dub donk hood and ghetto, what I need is a nice set of 17" AMG wheels for the car, if I want to put twenties on it, I should go buy a honda.

I own 3 Mercedes, I do most of the maintenance and modifications (the exclusion being some engine work, and paint) but since I do, I should go drive a honda.

Lets be real for a minute... The W220 is a **** car, I wanted one since they came out in 2000 and have building one in my head since then. However they are not new cars and there are things I think it needs to update it a little bit (03+ tails and headlights with a little more tweaks to them) LED everything, the 2010 mirrors... and I want to take it a little further w/ a sport w221 front bumper, Brabus rear, some clean side skirts, some clean 3pc forged wheels, and definitely a fresh interior. I'd be a build thread with DIY's basically. I'd do DIY's on door panel removal, LED's, merging 2 OEM bumpers, fabing custom fender vents, removing seats and seat covers, ect... I got a cheap camera on craigslist so I could document the build. Seems like a waste to do all that work myself and not have anyone else benefit from it. It's not like it takes a bunch of time to set up a tripod and hit 'record'.
Your mod list is quite tasteful and not offensive.

You are using quality products, not the pepboys and fleabay parts: chromes galore, add-on vents, painted red brake calipers on stocks, ghetto-fab 22" el cheapo rims, crappy poor fitting fiberglass body kit , and the ultimate instant AMG with V8 kompressor badgings

20"s aren't donk, it's the 22"s that are donk on a w220. Leave the 22" for the w221. It's all about proportions. I don't know about everyone else, but if a 5 foot petite female is going in for implants, 38dd would look ridiculous on her

VIPSTYLECARS.com have a lot of cool cars, but it's the extreme one that goes over the top.

I share your enthusiasm and applaud you for documenting all the DIYs. Now talk about time consuming!!!

Last edited by 2H S5; 01-25-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car
Originally Posted by tusabes
what 15 years olds are here posting in the w220 forum? Are you?

This isnt the c class forum.

most of us are in our 20s-late 40s.
I am indeed 15! My parents own an S-Class and I love cars. That's why I'm here
Old 01-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
How do you guys feel about a carbon fiber/Di-noc interior trim on a sport package W220?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by MBNiko
How do you guys feel about a carbon fiber/Di-noc interior trim on a sport package W220?
It doesn't matter what others feel, I think.

For me, I wouldn't mind doing it since my wood trip has some hairline cracks. It's not at the point where they're very visible, however.

Maybe on black interior, it might be OK, but the W220 has been a luxury design and CF may deviate from that a little.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
I agree 100% with you. I want to do it, but I wish I could see a picture of a W220 done with it first.
My trim also has some hairline cracks! I am trying to get a little more sport feel out of the car. The luxury, I am very content with but when you are able to mix the two, its a beautiful thing.