S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Is this a mod friendly forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500/500SEL W126
Is this a mod friendly forum?

The Benzworld guys are just complete dicks when it come to mods. My car is all rusted and the air sus is failing and the interior is all worn so I plan on giving everything a refresh. New paint, new interior, ect.. I want to do a build thread but the guys on Benzworld poo-poo almost anything you can do to the W220. I don't want to spend all that time documenting the build if its going to turn into a flame war. So are low W220's and 20" rims ok here? Or should I turn around and head the other direction?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
Most of the W220's in this section have a few tasteful mods, so I'd say that you & your 20's are welcome!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM

Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Low W220's only accepted here if you're running on 24's. j/k
Good luck with the restoration.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
not by me. I have yet to see a modified car that is more attractive than stock, with the exception of oxygen's car.

i tend to think MB did a very nice job with the 220, and more often than not, modifications detract from the class of the vehicle.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever there's gas in...
Well OP, there you have it. OliverK doesn't approve of your mods, so get out!!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
I like modded w220s a lot, but many of the grumpy old guys here do not, and are very vocal about calling them "ghetto" etc.

I say just post it and SCREW what anyone thinks!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 PM

Car
Originally Posted by tusabes
I like modded w220s a lot, but many of the grumpy old guys here do not, and are very vocal about calling them "ghetto" etc.

I say just post it and SCREW what anyone thinks!
So now 15 year olds are "grumpy old guys"? j/k I welcome tasteful, original, and well done mods (anything that doesn't involve big three-billion inch rims).

Mod the car the way you want. It's your car and show the world if you want too, no matter how annoying it is!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 PM

2003 S430
its always nice to see modifications and ideas so go ahead and post. everybody has his own opinion and its your car not theirs so you shouldn't care what people thinks
Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
not by me. I have yet to see a modified car that is more attractive than stock, with the exception of oxygen's car.

i tend to think MB did a very nice job with the 220, and more often than not, modifications detract from the class of the vehicle.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by S-Clusiv
Well OP, there you have it. OliverK doesn't approve of your mods, so get out!!
Hardly, we're all entitled to our opinions and as long as we're civilized about it then it doesn't really matter does it?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by CarboyS
So now 15 year olds are "grumpy old guys"? j/k I welcome tasteful, original, and well done mods (anything that doesn't involve big three-billion inch rims).

Mod the car the way you want. It's your car and show the world if you want too, no matter how annoying it is!
what 15 years olds are here posting in the w220 forum? Are you?

This isnt the c class forum.

most of us are in our 20s-late 40s.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 155 Posts
SL55, S500
My favorite style Mein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT58NcoAgo4

:nuke:
Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brilliant Silver CLK 320
Originally Posted by Das Geld
My favorite style Mein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT58NcoAgo4

:nuke:
haha!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
how about a nice set of fenderwell headers!

Originally Posted by IVXX
The Benzworld guys are just complete dicks when it come to mods. My car is all rusted and the air sus is failing and the interior is all worn so I plan on giving everything a refresh. New paint, new interior, ect.. I want to do a build thread but the guys on Benzworld poo-poo almost anything you can do to the W220. I don't want to spend all that time documenting the build if its going to turn into a flame war. So are low W220's and 20" rims ok here? Or should I turn around and head the other direction?
do whatever you think is cool, ive allways wanted someone with the guts to do it to install a set of fenderwell headers and leg pipes "uncorked" so you can listen to her purr. then tub the rear axle and put some monster slicks on her. airmatic has some issues so a straight axle front end will eliminate those probs. drop the front end on some skinneys and mount a 15 gallon nitrous bottle on the trunk lid so everyone knows your not all show and no go! dont get rattled by us old school purists, answers to all your technical challenges can be answered here. have fun
Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM

W220 S500/500SEL W126
Cool I feel much more welcome than on Benzworld. Don't get me wrong, just like the W126 there are many out there that are modded, but few are modded well, and the ones that do get custom paint and interiors are waaaaaay over the top. But Benzworld has a knee jerk reaction to EVERYTHING. I mod my car for me, I don't give a **** what other people think, but the way I see it if someone sees my build and gets inspired, or looks at modding their car differently, then I feel like I did something more than just mod my car for me. Which is why I want to do a build thread and all that good stuff.

I very, VERY rarely get all worked up over the internet but the "go buy a honda" reaction to EVERYTHING get's really old...

It's ok to repaint my car, but I want to repaint it a Lexus color, so therefore, I should be driving a honda. (Do you know how hard it is to find a GOOD dark blue??)

The Ebay LED replacement blinkers are fine but if I want the 2010 style mirrors from ebay I should go buy a honda.

My airmatic has a ton of issues, I don't mind coil springs and want more information on them, well removing airmatic is a blasphemy and I should go drive a honda.

Twenties are dub donk hood and ghetto, what I need is a nice set of 17" AMG wheels for the car, if I want to put twenties on it, I should go buy a honda.

I own 3 Mercedes, I do most of the maintenance and modifications (the exclusion being some engine work, and paint) but since I do, I should go drive a honda.

Lets be real for a minute... The W220 is a **** car, I wanted one since they came out in 2000 and have building one in my head since then. However they are not new cars and there are things I think it needs to update it a little bit (03+ tails and headlights with a little more tweaks to them) LED everything, the 2010 mirrors... and I want to take it a little further w/ a sport w221 front bumper, Brabus rear, some clean side skirts, some clean 3pc forged wheels, and definitely a fresh interior. I'd be a build thread with DIY's basically. I'd do DIY's on door panel removal, LED's, merging 2 OEM bumpers, fabing custom fender vents, removing seats and seat covers, ect... I got a cheap camera on craigslist so I could document the build. Seems like a waste to do all that work myself and not have anyone else benefit from it. It's not like it takes a bunch of time to set up a tripod and hit 'record'.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 PM

S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black

Agreed.

However, I don't find it too troubling to just skip over the ghetto postings as long as the subject line isn't misleading. The primary purpose of the forum is to share ideas about our rides and as long as I can actually choose which ideas as we can, who cares what any individual posting does.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
agreed.

People are obviously free to modify their cars as they see fit.

But if they make a post asking what people think, they should not get offended if I react negatively.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Not to suggest that the OP isn't welcome here; he is - but he may find discussion at http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=20 might generate less opposition to mods, especially those that significantly alter the appearance of the car.

BW does have a number of "traditionalists" - myself among them. There is plenty of room for discussion of both approaches (and some of those "complete dicks" have a pretty low opinion of anyone who calls other members names. However, it's a tough forum to top in getting problems resolved.

MBWorld impresses me as being somewhat friendlier to modders, but sometimes not quite as complete if you have a mechanical or electrical problem to solve.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
agreed.

People are obviously free to modify their cars as they see fit.

But if they make a post asking what people think, they should not get offended if I react negatively.
+1

This is an extremely friendly forum and is a true wealth of knowledge from it's members.
So many people are very willing to share quality information and experience. I know I aways appreciate it and it allows me to do the same.

Last edited by Vabene7; 01-22-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 PM

W220 S500/500SEL W126
Skylaw, The members that 'have low opinions of people who talk ****' have their noses so high up in the air that everything is beneath them. I'm not trying to be like "The guys on Benzworld are ***** tops" it's just a don't like the attitude of a tiny minority of the members on there. Benzworld is phenomenal for information, I have fixed many parts on my W220 because of that site. I am even going to become a lifetime member there since I use the information on there so often. It's a great site but those members that poke holes in threads and turn them off course with the 'go drive a honda' really takes away from the site.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:42 PM

2001 S500
Seems we have similar taste IVXX I noticed you were the first poster on two of my recent threads, and it is good to see that someone has similar style to me. I find it interesting that someone else has thought it would be cool to mold a w220 bumper with a w221 bumper without having to buy the super expensive Wald kit.

Also just as a little background I bought my 2001 s500 last year completely rusted out with loads of body damage for $5k. It took a year and tons of work but the car is like new again after replacement of front bumper, rear bumper, l/r side skirts, driver/passenger side fender, and grinding/filling rust on the bottoms of all doors. 100% worth it in my opinion in my book its still looks and drives like a $100k car.

I have gathered tons of information on these forums but haven't posted much because of your same concern but would like to say mod away and who cares what anyone has to say!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Skylaw, The members that 'have low opinions of people who talk ****' have their noses so high up in the air that everything is beneath them. I'm not trying to be like "The guys on Benzworld are ***** tops" it's just a don't like the attitude of a tiny minority of the members on there. Benzworld is phenomenal for information, I have fixed many parts on my W220 because of that site. I am even going to become a lifetime member there since I use the information on there so often. It's a great site but those members that poke holes in threads and turn them off course with the 'go drive a honda' really takes away from the site.
OK, guess I am one of those with low opinions of people who talk **** - and I'd rather keep my nose in the air than my mouth in the toilet. I know the mod on the BW W220 forum pretty well, and such talk has its limits. Over there, at least, the rule is keep it civil - or, as McBear's sticky says, play nice. There is plenty of room for folks to disagree; but not too much for just general nastiness, name-calling, and (occasionally) threats.

And if you think BW is hard on folks talking **** - try MBCA.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-23-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 PM

W220 S500/500SEL W126
Originally Posted by MCam
I find it interesting that someone else has thought it would be cool to mold a w220 bumper with a w221 bumper without having to buy the super expensive Wald kit.
I had the 07 bumper sitting around in my basement for a while and then Wald came out with the kit so I gave the bumper away. The W221 sport is the one I wanted to do in the first place, I got the standard one cause at the time I loved the shape of the fogs, matched the headlights perfectly.

My problem is I DO NOT like the kits that are out there for the W220. The Brabus rear I love but when it comes to the front I gotta just make something myself. I want it to look OEM but OEM like how a 2011 S63 is still OEM. I don't want to cut into a authentic brabus bumper to get a better/bigger exhaust but I really want to do something about it.

Skylaw, you got me all wrong man.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Cool I feel much more welcome than on Benzworld.

Lets be real for a minute... The W220 is a **** car, I wanted one since they came out in 2000 and have building one in my head since then. However they are not new cars and there are things I think it needs to update it a little bit (03+ tails and headlights with a little more tweaks to them) LED everything, the 2010 mirrors... and I want to take it a little further w/ a sport w221 front bumper, Brabus rear, some clean side skirts, some clean 3pc forged wheels, and definitely a fresh interior. I'd be a build thread with DIY's basically. I'd do DIY's on door panel removal, LED's, merging 2 OEM bumpers, fabing custom fender vents, removing seats and seat covers, ect... I got a cheap camera on craigslist so I could document the build. Seems like a waste to do all that work myself and not have anyone else benefit from it. It's not like it takes a bunch of time to set up a tripod and hit 'record'.
Cant wait to see your build thread and DIY's. Id recommend starting off in a clean new thread instead of this one....and make sure you DONT ASK what people think of it, just post it as an informational/descriptive build thread.... because if you ask for peoples opinions on it, youll inevitably get the clowns who say any mods are for Hondas.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Skylaw, you got me all wrong man.
Perhaps I do; my first response was to particular terminology in your first post. My second response was broader.

I'd like to make it clear that in discussing the matters below, I am talking about the way things are done on BW - the forum whose members were criticized in your first post. I am not a moderator on MBWorld, and in no way do I wish to infringe on the prerogatives of the MBWorld moderators, or to suggest to them that they should follow any protocols other than their own.

On BW, I recently addressed a thread in which there had been some flaming this way:

"It is a right of ownership to modify a car.

It is a right of forum membership to criticize or support such a decision - within the bounds of civility.

It is not the right of the OP or any following poster to determine which way subsequent responses will run.

The sticky titled "Play Nice" still applies.
"

My focus isn't on who was right - modders or traditionalists. It's on the things outside the bounds of civility; and it starts by name-calling.

That said, your mods will prove interesting. I look forward to seeing you both here and on BW. And I don't think you need to buy a Honda.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-23-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Skylaw
On BW, I recently addressed a thread in which there had been some flaming this way:

[I]"It is a right of ownership to modify a car.

It is a right of forum membership to criticize or support such a decision - within the bounds of civility.

It is not the right of the OP or any following poster to determine which way subsequent responses will run.
That is almost saying "well you can mod, but we can criticize it and theres nothing you can do about it". I think thats a foolish perspective.

Im not a mod at these forums, but am a mod at other forums. Here at MBWorld classifieds, the mods have expressly stated you CANNOT post a followup comment criticizing the price someone is asking. Even if it is ridiculously high.

Likewise, we should not criticize the modifications someone makes UNLESS they specifically ask "tell me what you think about these modifications"... if the OP wishes to limit thread discussion, such as not asking for opinions, but merely detailing their build and providing DIYs, they should have the right to post their build and DIY tips WITHOUT criticism.

Last edited by tusabes; 01-23-2011 at 07:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this a mod friendly forum?