S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

I Have Truely Found a New Favorite....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 MB S550, '11 RR HSE LUX
Originally Posted by tusabes
you are ridiculous. A 600 benz with a custom exhaust is still going to be quieter than a corvette, ferrari, lambo etc. Even a new sl63 is louder.
Really, now? With *any* custom exhaust? Ironically, all the ones I see are typically not quieter than all these respectable stock cars. SL63 (or any other stock MB) is absolutely not louder than most aftermarket exhausts; MB strictly follows the respectable state laws.

Your real gripe is that you look down on anyone performance tuning their Benz.
I do not look down on *performance* tuners, and I respect the principle of "to each their own." However, I look down upon those who mistake waking up the whole neighborhood with "performance tuning."

This is the wrong site for you, since mods are readily discussed and we dont need people poo pooing anyone trying to get info on mods.
A discussion allows for a difference in opinions. I would leave the decision for what we do and don't need on this forum to the moderators.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
These comments from you are NOT a discussion.....
Originally Posted by skrontz
- why let everyone else's ears suffer from the constant reminder of your imaginary coolness

I don't care about your personal absence of taste.
Those are personal attacks on the OP.

And the moderators will be happy to ban you for such comments, should you decide to continue. If you dont like aftermarket exhausts, goodie for you. Say so and keep it at that. But do not FOR ONE SECOND come here and attack other members wanting to discuss them.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 AM

These comments from you are NOT a discussion....
These are generic statements not directed at the OP, but at a certain category of drivers. I would request that you do not attempt quoting me out of context and make accusations you cannot back up. It would also be for everyone's benefit to continue with the original discussion rather than keep going off topic.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Stop trying to backpedal and redirect attention off your snide comments. Admit you were out of line and apologize to OP like a man.

You can say these are "generic comments against a certain category of drivers". Making personal attacks on ANY category of drivers is against forum rules.

Besides We all know the "category" you are referring to is someone who puts a louder exhaust on their MB (aka OP).
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Really, now? With *any* custom exhaust? Ironically, all the ones I see are typically not quieter than all these respectable stock cars. SL63 (or any other stock MB) is absolutely not louder than most aftermarket exhausts; MB strictly follows the respectable state laws.
And most custom exhaust purveyors examine and follow state noise laws too, since they dont want unhappy customers returning their systems due to tickets.

Someone who buys a $5000 Meistershaft exhaust does not want noise tickets , perhaps the Meistershaft rep will comment on what testing they do.

I personally know that Flowmaster does extensive testing to ensure they are compliant with noise laws.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
seems like skrontz and oliverk should drive the s400 that way their car makes no engine sound or have any type of exhaust note for that matter just a battery powering the car, OR MAYBE you should just wear ear plugs!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
Arrow

I do not look down on *performance* tuners, and I respect the principle of "to each their own." However, I look down upon those who mistake waking up the whole neighborhood with "performance tuning."

A discussion allows for a difference in opinions. I would leave the decision for what we do and don't need on this forum to the moderators.

So your way is the rule and my way is to be curved to fit your opinion?
I live next door to Hot Rod Harry (hotrodharrys.com) and his current 2011, 5.0Mustang rattles my windows when he warms the car up in his garage.
We all, as non, up tight neighbors, appreciate his tuning and no one complains because it's his (and my) passion.
Your passion may be being overbearing to members here - as you have done in your previous posts. Are you the "Get Off My Lawn" guy?? Or maybe you just call your local township to complain about your neighbor's garbage cans that were not brought in fast enough....or maybe even telling the local township about a neighbor of yours who didnt get a permit to add a finished basement.
I know your type buddy. We all do.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by 02S430
seems like skrontz and oliverk should drive the s400 that way their car makes no engine sound or have any type of exhaust note for that matter just a battery powering the car, OR MAYBE you should just wear ear plugs!
aka a prius? even a prius makes exhaust noise under WOT.

Originally Posted by Vabene7
I live next door to Hot Rod Harry (hotrodharrys.com) and his current 2011, 5.0Mustang rattles my windows when he warms the car up in his garage.
We all, as non, up tight neighbors, appreciate his tuning and no one complains because it's his (and my) passion.
Your passion may be being overbearing to members here - as you have done in your previous posts. Are you the "Get Off My Lawn" guy?? Or maybe you just call your local township to complain about your neighbor's garbage cans that were not brought in fast enough....or maybe even telling the local township about a neighbor of yours who didnt get a permit to add a finished basement.
I know your type buddy. We all do.
Yeah, he's from AZ...need I say more?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Before you criticize him, did you jokers even bother to watch the video I posted?

We arent talking about a Harley with straight pipes that wakes up the neighbors..we are talking about a nice deep growl that the DRIVER can hear and feel.

it is very unfortunate that some people think a Resonator delete is OK, but a custom louder aftermarket system is not. And worse yet, passing on your judgment of other forum members is in poor form.

Speak intelligently lest you sound like a fool (and sound worse than the stock exhaust!)
I watched the video and think its silly.

The entire point of a LUXURY car is to isolate the driver from engine noise and feel. You are basically trying to reverse EXACTLY what MB was attempting to achieve.

Why not put in some Recaro racing seats and a set of super stiff coilovers while you're at it?

you are ridiculous. A 600 benz with a custom exhaust is still going to be quieter than a corvette, ferrari, lambo etc. Even a new s63 is louder, stock. Using Your line of reasoning, why dont you ban all those cars because their loud exhaust irritates you.

Your real gripe is that you look down on anyone performance tuning their Benz. And you feel compelled to pass judgment on others. Shame on you.

This is the wrong site for you, since mods are readily discussed and we dont need people poo pooing anyone trying to get info on mods.

Try the MB Club of America forums if you are a purist and only wish to associate with those committed to originality.
Ferraris and Lamborghinis are sports cars, and are louder due to their focus on performance. They don't purposely make their cars extremely quiet.

Shame on him for passing judgment? I pass judgment on hundreds of things every day. There is nothing wrong with having opinions both ways. he can think loud exhausts are awesome, and I can think he is silly.

This is not the wrong site for him Mr. I-want-to-be-a-moderator.

This is a public forum, and he can poo-poo whatever he wants.

You don't own this forum, nor are you a moderator, so why don't you let him worry about what site he wants to spend time on.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 AM

Hurry, someone call AMG, Brabus, Lorinsert, Carlsson, Kleeman, Opera Design, and the other tuners out there that MB isn't a car that should be tuned. It should be converted into a boat...like a Cadillac...
Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I watched the video and think its silly.

The entire point of a LUXURY car is to isolate the driver from engine noise and feel. You are basically trying to reverse EXACTLY what MB was attempting to achieve.
MB are not just luxury cars, they are sports tourers. And to an owner, its whatever he/she wants it to be.

A biturbo 600 Benz is a 500 hp supercar that can seat 5. LOTS of forum members modify their 600s to be more sporting, whether in looks (wheels/bodykits), sounds (exhaust), or performance (chips/ECU tunes etc). In fact the number of people who keep them stock on this forum is smaller than those looking to modify.

Even "lowly" 500 w220 forum members enjoy a nice exhaust retrofit, such as Gondon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaqZS03OpM
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Arnee
Hurry, someone call AMG, Brabus, Lorinsert, Carlsson, Kleeman, Opera Design, and the other tuners out there that MB isn't a car that should be tuned. It should be converted into a boat...like a Cadillac...
Uh, they are boats from the factory...just like a cadillac.

MB are not just luxury cars, they are sports tourers. And to an owner, its whatever he/she wants it to be.

A biturbo 600 Benz is a 500 hp supercar that can seat 5. LOTS of forum members modify their 600s to be more sporting, whether in looks (wheels/bodykits), sounds (exhaust), or performance (chips/ECU tunes etc). In fact the number of people who keep them stock on this forum is smaller than those looking to modify.

Even "lowly" 500 w220 forum members enjoy a nice exhaust retrofit, such as Gondon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaqZS03OpM
sports tourer my ***. An E63 might be a sport tourer, an S-anything is a luxury car, regardless of what package or engine it has.

Supercar...again, bull****.

I don't care WHAT a lot of forum members do. A lot of forum members scrape together enough cash to buy a 2000 S430, put amg badges on it, and then slap 20s on it. That doesn't make it cool in my opinion.

As for your statistical analysis about what the forum members want, who cares. I don't care if 99% want to put the car on 24s with velvet interiors, everyone is free to voice their opinion.

As to lowly s500 owners, what does that have to do with it? Gondon is a young guy who probably shouldn't own an S-class in the first place (i.e. he may have been better off in an AMG E-Class). I can't understand what these 18-22 year olds want in an S-Class anyway, but I'm guessing its to try to look wealthy to create envy or attract loose women.

I just hate to see s-classes ruined with 20+ inch rims, stupid loud stereos, hideous body kits (read: wald, lorinser, etc), and lamborghini loud exhausts.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl
"As to lowly s500 owners, what does that have to do with it? Gondon is a young guy who probably shouldn't own an S-class in the first place (i.e. he may have been better off in an AMG E-Class). I can't understand what these 18-22 year olds want in an S-Class anyway, but I'm guessing its to try to look wealthy to create envy or attract loose women. "

Who cares what we buy if we can afford it?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by trag
"As to lowly s500 owners, what does that have to do with it? Gondon is a young guy who probably shouldn't own an S-class in the first place (i.e. he may have been better off in an AMG E-Class). I can't understand what these 18-22 year olds want in an S-Class anyway, but I'm guessing its to try to look wealthy to create envy or attract loose women. "

Who cares what we buy if we can afford it?
I don't particularly CARE, I just don't understand it.

Furthermore, typically what happens is said owner can afford the car (hell most 2000 S/CLs are under $15k), but then when the expensive repairs and maintenance come up, they are often bandaided or neglected completely either because the owner can't afford it, or because they've spent all their money on loud exhausts or huge rims.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
Uh, they are boats from the factory...just like a cadillac.
Have you called AMG yet? Tell them their cars are boats from factory, too loud, too stiff, too young.

I'll just keep on reading and not post in the thread. I think this thread has extreme mental retardation written all over it.

I should have expected the snobby attitude from someone from AZ or from a 993 owner. oh wait...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Have you called AMG yet? Tell them their cars are boats from factory, too loud, too stiff, too young.

I'll just keep on reading and not post in the thread. I think this thread has extreme mental retardation written all over it.

I should have expected the snobby attitude from someone from AZ or from a 993 owner. oh wait...
Why should I call AMG? They don't do anything special. They add power, and make some inor changes to the suspension tuning. That said, even the S65 with 19inch factory rims isn't hatefully loud or hard riding. On the other hand, I think S63s and S55s are some of the most asinine and useless cars on the road. They are just boats with loud exhausts and more power. AMG is wise enough to know that they aren't turning these boats into sports cars.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM

I agree to some degree. MBs aren't sportscars, that's the point. I got rid of my W211 E55 for the same reason and the same reason why I won't waste my money on an M5 and why I didn't get the Alpina B7.

Now, the other topic of personal "tuning," is another issue.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I agree to some degree. MBs aren't sportscars, that's the point. I got rid of my W211 E55 for the same reason and the same reason why I won't waste my money on an M5 and why I didn't get the Alpina B7.

Now, the other topic of personal "tuning," is another issue.
Ok, i'm glad you can at least see where I'm coming from.

i just feel like personal tuning is just an even worse version of manufacturer tuning.

for instance, adding 22" rims. It looks silly (yes thats my opinion), and degrades performance substantially, both in terms of acceleration, braking, and ride comfort, but also in terms of longevity of suspension parts.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Of course! Coming from the Porsche and BMW world, 22" on any car is not tuning, it's DE-TUNING!

When it comes to "minor" stuff like sound, I think I'm more liberal on that end, however, since mufflers add very little hp to begin with and sound depends on personal hearing and taste. I think that's what this thread is about.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
agreed, it is a personal thing. I just don't really get why someone buys an S600, basically the pinnacle of refinement, and then adds an exhaust solely to get rid of the refinement.

oh well, his car, his money, his choice.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
heres an example of what I mean...this is such an asinine project I can't believe it.

8 inch hood scoop/cowl hood, solid bushings in the suspension, and then ghetto wheels on a 140.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...rain-body.html
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Hello Oly

HAHA, I think my car looks very stock in terms of look and I perfer the AMG Kit over all of them. As of the exhaust I like the sound of a tank.

My personal taste, as well as I believe BMW is a pos Porsche wannabe.

Alas the look of the S/CL Class is unbeatable. The E55 doesn't look too good.

I got the car at 19 I'm approaching 23, I'm getting an old mans CL next

The car brings a smile to my face every time, in every department and I know you feel the same way about them.

BTW who has 22''?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 02S430
seems like skrontz and oliverk should drive the s400 that way their car makes no engine sound or have any type of exhaust note for that matter just a battery powering the car
I'm already proud to drive the cars that make very little external noise. By the way, you may want to call MB and tell them S400 is completely battery powered; I'm sure they would want to be the first to hear that news as it would save them some serious R&D money.

Originally Posted by Vabene7
I live next door to Hot Rod Harry (hotrodharrys.com) and his current 2011, 5.0Mustang rattles my windows when he warms the car up in his garage
Perhaps you've heard the saying: "Your freedoms stop where mine begin." If it is your preference to put up with the rattling windows, it absolutely does not mean that it is mine. If something (like the rattling noise) discomforts me, you better believe that I would voice my opinion about it. I would care for the neighbor's trash cans if they are left on my lawn or if they sit in the sun posing a safety risk to me. Again, the fact that you do no care about some things and do not respect others' peace and comfort does not mean everyone else should.

Yeah, he's from AZ...need I say more?
Oh please do, I would love to hear it!

Called AMG, MB picked up and told me they make performance cars, not loud rockets.