"A" Service for my 2005 S500 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 S500 4 Matic
"A" Service for my 2005 S500 4matic

Hello everyone

"A" service? Really, how much is this going to cost me?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s 430 84Kmiles black on black
Originally Posted by FrankBoni
Hello everyone

"A" service? Really, how much is this going to cost me?
Roughly $300 at Benz Dealership or $100 at your local auto shop. Service A is just oil&filter change. No more than that. You can manually reset your service notice then to start countdown for your "B" service
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S600 (V220.176)
I just had an A service and my MB dealer has changed the way they do services. They insisted to replace the charcoal filter and the poly-V-belt tensioner even though these are B-Service items.

Now the computer is telling them what to replace; you can tear up the booklet that tells you what to do in an A-Service, at least at my dealer.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
An A SERVICE

IS FAR MORE THAN AN OIL AND FILTER CHANGE.
Why pass on more **** poor information?
You can DIY all the items required and log them in as performed in the maint book. Then reset the service indicator.
The dealer will perform needed work(or what they can make you believe is needed work) at any service.
If the above post had a bad tensioner at A service time would he rather have waited another 10k miles and had it fail? That is why you or they inspect those things
Oil and filter change, my ***
Where people come up with this crap still amazes me

mobil 1 is on sale all of April 0w40 wt syn $4.99qt O'reily's
24qt limit
Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I can understand a dealer recommending additional items if the items were supposed to have been replaced on a prior "B" service but were not; if they were damaged or worn, on visual inspection; or, if they were related to total mileage (e,g., done at 60,000 miles irrespective of "A" or"B" service).

Other than that, I would insist on being shown the MB Service Bulletin that alters "A" service; or, I'd simply tell the dealer not to change them, and not to charge you for them. You, not the dealer, control what is done to your car.

I would not skip doing the service if in fact it is appropriate to the car's mileage, or if a part is damaged or worn.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S600 (V220.176)
I argued like mad over the charcoal filter. It had been replaced less than 2 years ago and less than 10000 m ago in the last B Service. The dealer told me "you are welcome to refuse the part" but then we will not stamp your maintenance book.

They have to do what the computer says. Allegedly people got a way with doing only A services all along and MB will need to catch up with all that should have been done, when they put a stamp into your book.

MB say that buyers rely on a dealer stamp and they will only stamp the book if all items are done that the new computer tells them.

BTW, the need to replace the perfectly good (hardly used) charcoal filter was determined before they saw my car. The need to check the poly-v belt mounting was also determined (as add-on to the service) BEFORE they saw the car.

However, to put your minds at peace, this was a UK dealer. It may come to the US soon though.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by ohlord
IS FAR MORE THAN AN OIL AND FILTER CHANGE.
Why pass on more **** poor information?
That is why you or they inspect those things
Oil and filter change, my ***
Where people come up with this crap still amazes me
not really. Its oil/filter and some inspections. Yes, you should do the inspections, but I can guarantee you the dealer is not doing an indepth inspection of the car, unless they are looking to pad the bill.

Originally Posted by Jerry-
I argued like mad over the charcoal filter. It had been replaced less than 2 years ago and less than 10000 m ago in the last B Service. The dealer told me "you are welcome to refuse the part" but then we will not stamp your maintenance book.

They have to do what the computer says. Allegedly people got a way with doing only A services all along and MB will need to catch up with all that should have been done, when they put a stamp into your book.

MB say that buyers rely on a dealer stamp and they will only stamp the book if all items are done that the new computer tells them.

BTW, the need to replace the perfectly good (hardly used) charcoal filter was determined before they saw my car. The need to check the poly-v belt mounting was also determined (as add-on to the service) BEFORE they saw the car.

However, to put your minds at peace, this was a UK dealer. It may come to the US soon though.
who cares whether they stamp it or not. You have the receipt. Not to mention these cars plummet in value so badly that service history has little bearing on resale value.