S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Brake squeak when new?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Brake squeak when new?

I got 4 new brake pads installed, on my existing rotors which are still good.

On the front pads, I am getting a very loud squeak. I've searched the forum and read people had similar experience with the AMG brakes, now my question is: Will it likely go away with a few hundred miles or what have you? What exactly is causing it to squeak so loudly?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s 430 84Kmiles black on black
Hi

from my experience, the squeaky noise is normal for a few hundred miles or so. then it should go away. if not, the problem might be with your pads. I recently have changed my pads for exact same reason. At first, bought Beck/Arnley rear pads at Advanceautoparts - big mistake. Pads were sqeaking badly. Then i ordered Akebono Euro pads for front and rear and drive happily ever after.

Originally Posted by rondocap
I got 4 new brake pads installed, on my existing rotors which are still good.

On the front pads, I am getting a very loud squeak. I've searched the forum and read people had similar experience with the AMG brakes, now my question is: Will it likely go away with a few hundred miles or what have you? What exactly is causing it to squeak so loudly?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
OK, so the squeak was not going away after roughly 2,000 miles, so I knew something was up. My front rotors were the problem, they were fairly worn out and a bit wavy/uneven.

The front rotors were replaced, and now the squeaking has stopped.

One issue though, I did not have it done at Mercedes - I was kind of without time and did it at another place. They used a different rotor than was on before, and it is not cross-drilled like the mercedes one, but it is regular like the back ones. Is this a problem?

I also notice it was smelling a little bit and getting hot with some smoke, is that normal for new rotors? I hope I don't have a problem with these, they were almost the same price as the Mercedes OEM but the place I went to couldn't get them for some reason, or else I would have.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
eh thats not good.

I'm not a believer that cross drilling does much, but I'd want to know what rotors they used and what the quality is.

The smoke is also unusual.

try to figure out what rotors they are.