S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Window Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Window Not Working

Hey guys i already posted on here about the window (Rear passenger side window) coming down about an inch when it rains and now the window doesn't go up or down at all except for that inch. Doesn't work from front door or the button on that door. I'm going to dealership for service this coming week and want to ask them to check it out and know the problem without them telling me that i need a whole new window assembly + an arm and a leg to fix it. Any DIY help would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM

'02 S 430
I had the same problem. The glass had come loose from the bracket that it sits on. If the window regulator was lowered, the glass would stay up for a while, then would gradually slide down on it's own until it finally sat back on the regulator. It would then go back up no problem.

I took the door apart and "glued" the glass back on to the bracket with silicone. It was still holding when I got rid of the car.

Do you have tint on your windows?- I did- I think the extra thickness and friction is what pulled the glass loose from the bracket initially.

Glad to be rid of that car- great ride, liked the looks, but always some little crappy problem to fix. Always felt like I was just waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Hope this helps-
Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM

2012 E63 AMG
I have not had any tint installed other than what might have come with from factory. So you don't think I need a new motor or regulator? Just attach window to bracket with glue?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM

'02 S 430
Dunno what your issue is, but it sounds like it could be the same as what I had.

Try to lower your window- I assume it drops about 1" like you said. Can you hear the motor electric motor continue to run for a second or so even after the glass stops lowering? If so, my guess is that the glass has come detatched from the bracket that holds it. If you want, you could now slide the glass down by pushing on it to see if it is indeed loose from the bracet- just be aware that it may or may not hit the "bracket", and could fall all the way down insde the door panel. I would only slide it down a few inches at most.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM

2012 E63 AMG
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what happened. I'll have them look at it and i'll say something about the bracket and see what they tell me. I'll post my findings.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
Had the same thing happen to me last month. Thought it was the regulator as I could hear the motor running but the glass didn't move. I talked to a window place and he informed me they use epoxy glue to reattach. So far its been about a month without any other poor experiences.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM

2012 E63 AMG
So any window place can do it? (i.e. Cindy Rowe)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
Tmarros:
If you are at all handy with tools, you can do this job in less than 2hrs. on the first attempt. Once you have experienced taken the interior door panel off, it will even take you less time. Once the panel is off, its relatively easy to see where the glass is suppose to connect to the regulator. On my S, the glass actually has a 2" x 1" tab (part of the glass itself) that sits into the regulator's grip. Clean and scuff the glass tab with some sandpaper to give a grip surface. Clean the receiver end of the window regulator grip and apply an epoxy glue of your choice to both surfaces, glass and receiver. (I used the 10minute epoxy as I didn't want the window open a long time). Line up the glass to the regulator and push it firmly into the receiver so it bottoms out. I found positioning the window regulator receiver at the half open window location was about the best position to work on it. To secure the window while working on it, I used cedar wood shims to gently squeeze the glass at the point where the glass leaves door enclosure ( a relatively thick shim on both the inside and outside of the glass, at the sill of the door). Worked a charm.

But it is also not uncommon to have the window regulator wear out. I bought the regulator from Groton for less than $70. Still have it because the job didn't need it. Oh well, would have hated to take the door apart only to find I did need it.

Last edited by tower; 05-27-2011 at 10:56 AM.