S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Almost crashed today need some Help Please

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S430
+1

Originally Posted by tusabes
It probably is a defective electronic gas pedal... but like I said, you simply DO NOT TOUCH a car that is doing this or try anything to attempt repair yourself. If the problem ever reoccurs and results in injury , property damage, or death (which is VERY LIKELY if the car does this again)...you need a clear link to the manufacturer as the sole possible responsible party.

Introducing a DIY repair attempt, or indy mechanic repair attempt into that chain of events will needless make things 1000x more complicated and lead to finger pointing as to fault
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
Well a quick update i finally heard back from MBUSA, and they said that the only thing i can do is take it the dealer and they wont promise anything. i kinda figured this.
I am going to call the dealer tomorrow, any advice on what i should tell them aside from what happend?

I just dont want to get stuck with a 2K bill or even a towing bill at the very least.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211, w221, w220, e46
Don't take it lightly if they try to brush you off and save videos of what is going on before towing it to the dealer. They should provide you with a free diagnosis at the very least. Try to explain the situation in the best way possible and ask for a goodwill repair. If you're nice about it all and express a serious concern in regards to how safe your car is, then it might be all taken care of either for free or at a reduced cost.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by ebolick
Well a quick update i finally heard back from MBUSA, and they said that the only thing i can do is take it the dealer and they wont promise anything. i kinda figured this.
I am going to call the dealer tomorrow, any advice on what i should tell them aside from what happend?

I just dont want to get stuck with a 2K bill or even a towing bill at the very least.
If you dont get a positive response from the dealer, and you dont even want a towing bill, then file the NHTSA complaint form, print a copy and fedex it to MBUSA corporate office, demand they immediately take care of this at their expense, as this is a safety hazard and you have an appointment with your local news media. Include a link to the video in the fedex

Also call your local news media stations consumer action lines, provide them a link to the video and explaim MB doesnt care to investigate this and is telling you to somehow get the car to the dealer.

Get this the into right hands/attention, and youll magically start getting called that will be towed at no charge and repaired ASAP

Last edited by tusabes; 08-04-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
And what is your qualifications to make that statement?

If op fails to document this with Mercedes and just "fixes" this himself or uses a Indy mechanic, and the car subsequently injured or killed someone , do you really think it's unnecessary?

An Indy mechanic or diy would only give Mercedes a claim that repairs were not properly done or that they Caused the problem itself. You need to document as carefully as possible . The fact that it seems to be a repeatable and continuing problem should make it much easier than locating an intermittent problem
Well nothing qualifies me, other than how the opinions of any other dude on a forum need to be qualified.

Documenting? fine... with an affidavit if you must. But I got a sense that the spirit of that suggestion was to get an attorney that could pursue a lawsuit, or activist news media so they could "stick it to the company". Even if your intentions in seeking them out were different, especially with news media they care little about the truth and more about how sensational the story could be. It is this adversarial and litigious attitude that I think is unnecessary, but sadly a sign of the times.

Last edited by Nola; 08-04-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I realize you are in Amsterdam, but here in the US, on our nightly local news stations, there are reporters specifically to help consumers get the attention of companies who are giving the runaround .,.they are usually staffed by senior volunteers. Once the company hears a news station is investigating, the company often steps up.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
I realize you are in Amsterdam, but here in the US....
What you describe goes above documenting the issue in case you need to back up your claims, and goes into power playing your way to get attention, and is exactly why I said it should be unnecessary but is sadly a sign of the times.

Unnecessary because one should be able to get traction out of a safety issue by its own merits, and sadly a sign of the times because the environment encourages people to take such "stands" when the ulterior motive is a big payday. What, you think the local media is not looking to expose the next big imaginary corporate coverup for their own benefit?

Btw, I am a resident of the US on temporary expat assignment in Europe.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Nola
What you describe goes above documenting the issue in case you need to back up your claims, and goes into power playing your way to get attention, and is exactly why I said it should be unnecessary but is sadly a sign of the times.

Unnecessary because one should be able to get traction out of a safety issue by its own merits, and sadly a sign of the times because the environment encourages people to take such "stands" when the ulterior motive is a big payday. .
I don't think anyone is saying op is going to get a big payday out of this, as there was no injury or damage. But if his legitimate safety concerns are not reaching the right ears at MB , and they are not even expressing willingness to bring this car in for investigation and repair, then yes using the media and creating a public relations issue is certainly warranted
Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM

I don't think anyone is saying op is going to get a big payday out of this, as there was no injury or damage. But if his legitimate safety concerns are not reaching the right ears at MB , and they are not even expressing willingness to bring this car in for investigation and repair, then yes using the media and creating a public relations issue is certainly warranted
Thanks for the info and i will keep everyone updated on this post as this goes. my goal really is to get this problem fixed so when i drive it with my family or when i sale the car i can do it with a clear concious and not worry about someone else getting hurt. Or anyone of you guys that drive the W220 from here having the same problems.

I wont be able to take the car in till the end of next week but like i said ill keep posting with new info as it comes.
Thanks again for the support
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 PM

2014 S550 4matic
As promised here is the video of the car and what it does when you start it up. if the car was in drive it will just take off, hints the reason i wont put it in gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATGOTZr4rQ
After viewing video, I have the same car, I would check that throttle cable that pulls it back near back of engine up top it's probably stuck open or disconnected from peddle, it's something simple because it happened to sudden you punched pedal something got stuck
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Nola
This is so unnecessary, but sadly a sign of the times.
I disagree........bringing it to others attention is important.....

what does that mean?? 'A sign of the times'

what's the sign?

are we just stupid Americans to you?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 s500
Hyperion667:

I can relate to the international opinion of how litigious the US appears to have become. For example, google Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants, a frivolous (in my mind) case involving a person who spilled hot coffee on herself but won a judgement of over $600k (subsequently reissued with a private settlement so the exact punitive dollars are unknown). I would invite you to scan some of the web sites such as "stellaawards.com" for some interesting, if not humorus, reading.

Tower
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
ECU is fried.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 PM

W203-4M W163
As promised here is the video of the car and what it does when you start it up. if the car was in drive it will just take off, hints the reason i wont put it in gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATGOTZr4rQ
After your first startup, the dash cluster reads "2 Malfunctions" (right at the end, before you turn the car off). Have you run STAR diagnostic on this yet to see what those are?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by FraKctured
After your first startup, the dash cluster reads "2 Malfunctions" (right at the end, before you turn the car off). Have you run STAR diagnostic on this yet to see what those are?
the two malfunctions are a side light out and the break sensor.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
11 year old car out of warranty

Originally Posted by benzat17
+1
as the owner of your beautiful looking benz IMO it is 100% your responsibility to repair the car. how can the manufacturer be held liable in any way for your "simple" situation. the fact that it is doing it all the time makes it super easy to troubleshoot and repair. dont listen to anyone advising you to seek freebies from MB, it is a waste of time. just fix it or have it fixed and start enjoying your car again.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
as the owner of your beautiful looking benz IMO it is 100% your responsibility to repair the car. how can the manufacturer be held liable in any way for your "simple" situation. the fact that it is doing it all the time makes it super easy to troubleshoot and repair. dont listen to anyone advising you to seek freebies from MB, it is a waste of time. just fix it or have it fixed and start enjoying your car again.
Not looking to argue but if this was a “simple situation” as you put it then tell me what is the problem? The fact is I was dam lucky to not get into a accident, or hurt a innocent bystander.

If the pedal went out like they normally do I would just lose acceleration like all the others did. However my car did the opposite it took off and almost caused me to crash. This is a safety issue not a maintenance problem, I have no problem paying for something that is wear and tear but I do have a problem having to pay for something that could have hurt me or someone else. Big difference my friend.

Like I said I’m not looking to argue but I feel people should be held accountable and this included companies because I can guarantee I can’t be the only one this has happened to.

by the way thanks for the compilment on my car
Old 08-13-2011, 09:21 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
pull the air cleaner assy

the only way to get the wot condition is if the engine has sufficient air to do it. pull the air cleaner assy off, youll see a throttle valve which controls the air entering the engine. is it stuck open? if it is then determine why and fix it. if it is in the closed position then have someone turn the ignition switch to the run position, dont engage the starter motor. is the valve open now? if it is then correct the signal it's recieving and your car is fixed. since your car is not intermittent the problem is soooooooo much easier to troubleshoot then some gremlin that messes with your car only when someone isnt looking.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM

I did not want to abandon this thread without a final update. i took the car in yesterday and they said it was the accelerator pedal. And of course they wont cover that on a post warrenty. So the total cost is 650. is this about right?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Replacement of the accelerator pedal module is a fairly easy DIY, and would be far less expensive if done that way. See https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...n-problem.html and post #3 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ge-my-gas.html
Old 10-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Replacement of the accelerator pedal module is a fairly easy DIY, and would be far less expensive if done that way. See https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...n-problem.html and post #3 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ge-my-gas.html
Thanks Skylaw!! , man i wish i would have just changed it first. But if they dont fix it they would charge me 160 for diagnosis, 150 for tow and i would still need to spend about 150 to 200 for the part. But they did knock off 120 so its about 500. Live and learn i guess
Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Personally, after an incident such as the one you experienced, I think it is much better to have expert diagnosis of the problem than to rely on guesswork on a forum. It is a safety matter that, if diagnosed improperly, could cost you and yours your lives.

Once you have a firm diagnosis in hand, then whether you replace the part yourself or have a dealer do it is a matter of your own judgement.

Some folks have far less serious indicators of a failing gas pedal module - under those circumstances, perhaps relying on online diagnosis works.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-14-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
If you had killed yourself or others, there would be a class action recall on this part. The part is clearly defective, and does not always fail in the "safe" mode of no acceleration.

since not enough people have been injured, and OP doesnt want to take this up the corporate chain, it will linger on.

OP I still recommend you send a certified letter to the head of MBUSA with a link to your video and a demand for full payment of your MB repair bill for this deadly defect they refuse to resolve....and if they dont respond GO TO THE MEDIA!