S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Almost crashed today need some Help Please

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2000 S430, 1999 E 320, 2 K5 blazers,
Almost crashed today need some Help Please

I did a search and cant find anything or maybe im looking up the wrong thing but this is what happened:

I was driving down the street a few minutes ago when i was coming to a yellow light i gunned it to make sure i clear the light but when i hit the gas peddle the cars throttle opened up and the next thing i know the car is racing down the road and wont slow down until i shut off the motor. I tried to tap the accelator pedal, and brake no change, i tried to take it in and out of gear no change. I ended up towing the car home and now everytime i start the car it reves all the way up. Anyone have any ideas what this could be or point me in the right search direction?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211, w221, w220, e46
Wow, sounds scary. Glad you were able to at least kill the engine in time. Reminds me of the Toyota "incidents" where they claimed there was a fault with the electronic throttle control (ECT). It could be the throttle linkage, the ECT, etc...

I searched and found this, check it out: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-bulletin.html

But you said you even tried braking and taking it out of gear.

I know this sounds obvious but the safest thing to do would be to have it towed in to a good indy or the dealer. Call them first and see if they have had a car experiencing similar problems before or whether they can put their finger on a part or two.

Last edited by AMG X; 07-31-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Call MBUSA and they will take the car off your hands
Old 07-31-2011, 05:37 AM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
make sure your floor mats aren't jammed under the gas pedal.. sounds silly yes, but I've seen this happen to a car that didn't have the floor mats positioned correctly or aftermarket floor mats that didn't fit properly or were trimmed to fit..
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
this is scary, i guess it doesnt matter if u drive slow anymore.. our benz's will evolve and want to go
Old 07-31-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AMG X
Wow, sounds scary. Glad you were able to at least kill the engine in time. Reminds me of the Toyota "incidents" where they claimed there was a fault with the electronic throttle control (ECT). It could be the throttle linkage, the ECT, etc...

I searched and found this, check it out: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-bulletin.html

But you said you even tried braking and taking it out of gear.

I know this sounds obvious but the safest thing to do would be to have it towed in to a good indy or the dealer. Call them first and see if they have had a car experiencing similar problems before or whether they can put their finger on a part or two.
thanks for the link, but this is for cars after 2002, my is a 2000. The tow truck said i described what he had heard about the toyotas but never heard about it on a mercedes. Gonna call a indy and see what they say next week.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
make sure your floor mats aren't jammed under the gas pedal.. sounds silly yes, but I've seen this happen to a car that didn't have the floor mats positioned correctly or aftermarket floor mats that didn't fit properly or were trimmed to fit..
first thing i checked since i have always had problems with my floor mats but thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
Call MBUSA and they will take the car off your hands
I wish but for a 11 year old car, they wont do anything but send me a bill for wasting there time.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 AM

any ideas? could really use some fresh ideas
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by ebolick
any ideas? could really use some fresh ideas
yes, if your car is still racing to full throttle every time you turn it on, you MUST take your car to Mercedes. Nowhere else. Call MBUSA as mentioned above.

This is a huge liability/safety issue. If its not a simple fix, Mercedes may actually buy the car back from you for testing.

Take a video of it happening before they take the car from you. You also might want to contact an attorney or local news media station to document it.

DO NOT take it to an indy, this is not a DIY repair. You need to DOCUMENT everything. If You think its "fixed" and the problem ever reoccurs and injures or kills you , you need the paper trail.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by tusabes
You also might want to contact an attorney or local news media station to document it.
This is so unnecessary, but sadly a sign of the times.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM

S500
I had this a few years ago and it was indeed the floor mat getting stuck and causing the throttle to remain fully open.

I managed to put it into Neutral and pull over, but scared to hell out of me none the less.

I check the mat now, each time I drive it.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 AM

2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Have you ever had the actual gas petal replaced? I have seen on this forum that they do go bad, not sure if they would go wide open when malfunctioning or not. Something to check out I would think.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Scary for it to happen in an urban area. My father had a situation in the mid-1990s where the throttle got stuck open on a motorway and car kept accelerating up to about 130mph where it held steady. Rather frightening for him, it was a fairly new car (not a Benz) and he just took it back to the dealer after that and swapped it out.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by srknutson
Have you ever had the actual gas petal replaced? I have seen on this forum that they do go bad, not sure if they would go wide open when malfunctioning or not. Something to check out I would think.
I have never had the gas pedel replaced but it does work because i tried to rev the engine higher just incase maybe it would knock the throttle lose but this did not work.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM

yes, if your car is still racing to full throttle every time you turn it on, you MUST take your car to Mercedes. Nowhere else. Call MBUSA as mentioned above.

This is a huge liability/safety issue. If its not a simple fix, Mercedes may actually buy the car back from you for testing.

Take a video of it happening before they take the car from you. You also might want to contact an attorney or local news media station to document it.

DO NOT take it to an indy, this is not a DIY repair. You need to DOCUMENT everything. If You think its "fixed" and the problem ever reoccurs and injures or kills you , you need the paper trail.
Do you think they would do anything since it is a 2000?

I am going to video tape it when i get back tomorrow afternoon and post it on here also so you guys can hear and see what i am talking about.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
The year or mileage has absolutely no bearing for an issue which could lead to a nhtsa recall.

Once the problem is diagnosed, you should report the defect here

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Thirty year old cars have Been bought back due to safety issues if the manufacturer needs the vehicle for testing/investigation. Thats not to say they will buy it back, especially if its a simple problem , but you can always ask MB pay for the cost of the repairs in consideration of bringing this issue to their attention.

Last edited by tusabes; 08-02-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Nola
This is so unnecessary, but sadly a sign of the times.
And what is your qualifications to make that statement?

If op fails to document this with Mercedes and just "fixes" this himself or uses a Indy mechanic, and the car subsequently injured or killed someone , do you really think it's unnecessary?

An Indy mechanic or diy would only give Mercedes a claim that repairs were not properly done or that they Caused the problem itself. You need to document as carefully as possible . The fact that it seems to be a repeatable and continuing problem should make it much easier than locating an intermittent problem
Old 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Maybe I'm missing something.

You hit the brakes, and it didn't slow?

You put it in neutral, and it still accelerated?

You tried to turn the car off, and it still accelerated?

Either way, if the mats weren't involved, go visit the dealer.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
This happened to my first car when I was young, it turned out to be the main return spring in the throttle body broke and the counter balancing spring caused it to stick all the way open. Fortunately I could shift into neutral and turn the engine off.

Have it towed to the dealer and let them figure out what's wrong. Hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed for little or no cost.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Maybe I'm missing something.

You hit the brakes, and it didn't slow?

You put it in neutral, and it still accelerated?

You tried to turn the car off, and it still accelerated?

Either way, if the mats weren't involved, go visit the dealer.
The brakes worked however with the engine at full throttle it was not slowing the car down very much till i turned the car off. When i put the car in netural the engine was still redlining and sounding like the car was going to explode, so then i turned it off. Sorry if i confused anyone
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM

The year or mileage has absolutely no bearing for an issue which could lead to a nhtsa recall.

Once the problem is diagnosed, you should report the defect here

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Thirty year old cars have Been bought back due to safety issues if the manufacturer needs the vehicle for testing/investigation. Thats not to say they will buy it back, especially if its a simple problem , but you can always ask MB pay for the cost of the repairs in consideration of bringing this issue to their attention.
thanks for the link and i will do it. I took your advice and called MBUSA and they opened a safty claim. They are going to have someone call me back today and let me know what i need to do first.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM

As promised here is the video of the car and what it does when you start it up. if the car was in drive it will just take off, hints the reason i wont put it in gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATGOTZr4rQ
Old 08-03-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S430
thats crazy !! there is no other explanation other than mayeb you need to change the gas pedal? you tried disconnect it and connecting it again?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by benzat17
thats crazy !! there is no other explanation other than mayeb you need to change the gas pedal? you tried disconnect it and connecting it again?
It probably is a defective electronic gas pedal... but like I said, you simply DO NOT TOUCH a car that is doing this or try anything to attempt repair yourself. If the problem ever reoccurs and results in injury , property damage, or death (which is VERY LIKELY if the car does this again)...you need a clear link to the manufacturer as the sole possible responsible party.

Introducing a DIY repair attempt, or indy mechanic repair attempt into that chain of events will make things 1000x more complicated , and lead to finger pointing as to fault

Additionally, the electronic gas pedal on w220s is a fairly common failure item, however when they fail they typically result in no/barely any acceleration. Ive never seen one fail by racing to full acceleration.

if it is determined to be the pedal, This could be enough evidence to warrant a NHTSA safety recall for all w220 pedals, which means every w220 owner who has ever paid to replace a pedal can get refunded. And the rest of us will get new pedals.

OP kudos for taking the video and the time to properly document this. It is a bit of a hassle but if the problem is found to be something common to all our cars, this can help save a w220 owner's life

Last edited by tusabes; 08-03-2011 at 04:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Almost crashed today need some Help Please