S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Just agreed to buy a W220. Couple of quick questions:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Just agreed to buy a W220. Couple of quick questions:

Hey guys, Brocktoon checking in from the GL forums.

Just agreed to buy a super mint 430 short wheelbase yesterday. Found out about it through a friend. It is a 2002, just turned 50,000km (31,000 mi). Full dealer service records based on time minimums. Brake job, tires, "B" service, brake line and tranny flush all done in the last year. Xenons, Comand, heated seats but not much else in terms of options, except for a non-standard factory paint request that the factory wound up doing, code 941U Aragonite Blue (It was offered on G class, E class, as far as I know, maybe never on any car in America). The owners still need the car for a couple of weeks, while they wait for their new S.

Car seems great, all gadgets working. I do have some concerns about cracks on top of the struts. They are currently holding air, but they have cracks. Unlike the pictures I have seen, these cracks don't go around the top of the strut, but are sort of parallel to the hose nipple, where it goes into the black plastic. The service guy who has been taking care of the car does not seem to be all that worried it would go out anytime soon, but I wanted to know what you guys thought? I'm inclined to just do the epoxy fix for now if I do anything.

Anything else I should look for? Airmatic is working, I will get the pump relay as a preventative measure. Anything else?

Last edited by Brocktoon; 11-26-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Not sure with the cracks, but I know now that Arnotts is around strut replace is not bad at all cost wise.. As for what else to look for.. obviously check for any accidents, I usually check the oil fill cap as that will tell a story to the oil change practices of the PO. Check the fluids, check for any rust on the bottom of the doors, check the transmission, make sure it shifts correctly. Turn the air and radio off and drive the car being very quiet listening for any noises out of the ordinary.. make sure the steering/suspension feels tight. Make sure the doors all close themselves, as with the trunk. Make sure the windows all go down from each individual switch and the seats adjust as the door control modules fail in these cars. Check sunroof. The guage clusters are of troubling nature in these cars too so listen to it while it's on as mine makes a buzzing noise which tells me I will be replacing it in the next year or so.. You can also listen to the front of the engine, from outside the car or driving it as the PS pump/tensioner/idler pullies are known to cause noises too.. Also check the reed valve under the hood on the passenger side.. if it gets clogged up your car's interior can flood from a moderate rain..
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
I'm not sure where you're based (on mobile it doesn't show location) but in most places W220s are ten a penny. Why buy one, especially bare bones and an early model, if you've got concerns about it.

Low mileage is nice but you're getting yourself into a potential world of hurt with these '00-'02 W220s.

I'd suggest moving on.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM

cmp: Thanks for the advice. My offer is pending test-drive I have already listened to all the mechanical sounds, tested most of the electronics, just waiting for the PO to get back into town. I have all the records from a single owner, no accidents, all dealer service. I also brought my flashlight, and the reed drain bucket hardly even looks like it has ever had water in it. The owners live overseas most of the year, so it has been sitting in a garage except for the summer, and it looks it.

Fraser, Thanks for the heads up. I know what I'm getting into, I have been around exotic/high end cars most of my adult life. I live downtown, so I don't drive much either (I actually live about 5 blocks from the PO). I have been offered the car at a very fair price, which works for me. Since I don't drive that much but want a safe, heavy car for my family, my biggest cost in getting a newer car would be depreciation. For the 2-4,000 miles I will be using it in a year, a new car does not make any sense. (As the car in question is a perfect example.) Since the car has such a clean history and low miles, even if have to put a few bucks into it, I'll be ahead of the curve vs. the killer of depreciation I will feel on something newer.Even if I drive it for a few years and drop it off at a junkyard, it would cost me less that the off-the-lot depreciation of any comparable newer car.

Last edited by Brocktoon; 11-26-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm not sure where you're based (on mobile it doesn't show location) but in most places W220s are ten a penny. Why buy one, especially bare bones and an early model, if you've got concerns about it.

Low mileage is nice but you're getting yourself into a potential world of hurt with these '00-'02 W220s.

I'd suggest moving on.
I kind of agree, to an extent. Price means everything.. I bought a very clean 00 S430 with everything but Distronic/Parktronic/Keyless and 100k for $5,900. I spent two grand on wheels and upgrading the car to 03 spec.. I feel like I have a great car for the price.. everything seems to be in great shape, and I am making sure to do all the preventitive on it.. It seems to me alot of work has been done to this vehicle already, but I live in Los Angeles and there are BMW's and Mercedes everywhere, but I see C and E classes all over, the only place that is even remotely crawling with S classes is Hollywood..
Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Fraser, Thanks for the heads up. I know what I'm getting into, I have been around exotic/high end cars most of my adult life. I live downtown, so I don't drive much either (I actually live about 5 blocks from the PO). I have been offered the car at a very fair price, which works for me. Since I don't drive that much but want a safe, heavy car for my family, my biggest cost in getting
a newer car would be depreciation. For the 2-4,000 miles I will be using it in a year,
a new car does not make any sense. (As the car in question is a perfect example.) Since the car has such a clean history and low miles, even if have to put a few bucks into it, I'll be ahead of the curve vs. the killer of depreciation I will feel on something newer.Even if I drive it for a few years and drop it off
at a junkyard, it would cost me less that the off-the-lot depreciation of any comparable
newer car.
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself too clear. Based on what I've read on the forums the later W220s are much more reliable and spending a few thousand extra for an 03+ makes a lot of
sense.

The earlier cars encounter lots of electrical gremlins out of the blue that can be costly to fix.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself too clear. Based on what I've read on the forums the later W220s are much more reliable and spending a few thousand extra for an 03+ makes a lot of
sense.

The earlier cars encounter lots of electrical gremlins out of the blue that can be costly to fix.
I hear you loud and clear, but I'm prepared to take a chance on this one, since I know people who have known this car since delivery, plus complete records. I did, once own a Honda Accord, which was the most problematic car I ever owned. I also had a Land Rover, now driven by my mother-in-law which, for it's almost eight years of life has been totally trouble free. I guess you just pay your money, and take your chances.