S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 R1200R ML500 R320BT
Get the list of repairs necessary and present them to the seller!
If they agree to pay for the repairs then you are good to go!
If they refuse and are also unwilling to return your deposit you will be able to go to small claims court and I believe there is a used car dealer association that will help as well!
Good luck and if you need the name of a great indy shop let me know!

John
Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnnydee
Get the list of repairs necessary and present them to the seller!
If they agree to pay for the repairs then you are good to go!
If they refuse and are also unwilling to return your deposit you will be able to go to small claims court and I believe there is a used car dealer association that will help as well!
Good luck and if you need the name of a great indy shop let me know!

John

, Thanks John.
I'll go the path you laid out.

Yes, the dealer is a member of UCDA and they acted professionally from the very begining. And they are good in Mercedes vehicles as half of the cars in their lot are MB. That's one of the reasons I choose them. I do trust them and not too worry about the deposit.
Just feel sad the previous owner didn't take care of the beauty, .

I also agree with you, if they could fix the problems it will be fine. Hope they can do it with MB standard. At least will ask them to use MB parts.
I don't think this car is rotten to the root yet. I can baby it from there.

By the way, I am in London Ontario and we just got lots of snow, more than 10 inches, during the weekend.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 741 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I have to say I have never seen such an optimist in all my life.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I have to say I have never seen such an optimist in all my life.
, Thanks MBNUT1.
I hope I really have that good attitude in my life.

Kidding aside, here is some thought why I still have some confidence about this car:
1) I bought my 2003 Volvo XC70 in 2007 with 80k miles when I knew nothing about cars. I did check CarFax but other than that just went to a dealer pay the list price. During nearly 5 years ownership by putting another 40k miles I am very happy about that car. At the same time I grew up and become half of a mechanic.
2) I did see lots of negtive opinions about that car in a Volvo forum. I can understand as forums become kind of hospital for cars. Most of people start their post by asking help with their issues. Probably I am lucky but most likely others' problem became my experience helping me maintaining my car.
3) Now come to this S600, I must confess it is nothing same as a Volvo. S600 is a totally different car to XC70 from every perspective, especially financial side. On the other hand I believe Mercedes, as a brand, worth ten times much more than Volvo. Mercedes has the best technic in the auto industry. And S600 is the proud of Mercedes which uses most of the best technic from this reputable manufacturer. I can't image the combination of all the best finally would become my nightmare. How unlucky then I would be.
4) Plus now I understand cars much better. I should be in a better position to choose a car than 5 years ago. I know how to check the car and I also will have the car fully inspected by a Mercedes dealer.

I do really like this piece of art but, don't worry, I still haven't decide yet. I am much more cautious about this deal than last week without input from all the members here.

Best regards.

Howard

Last edited by haoz129; 01-04-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
Hey Howard,
I agree with MBNUT. You are decidedly a glass-half-full kinda guy. It does seem like you are going into this with your eyes wide open though. You understand what you are getting into and are willing to go down that road anyway. Like I said before...this car may be much better off in finding you than you were in finding it. The picture you posted is a beauty and definitely deserves some good TLC and someone like you who will baby it and bring it back to its former glory.

You have gotten some very good advice here, most of it not too positive, on proceeding with this deal. I think what needs to be said has already been said and this thread has run its course. You will do what you want to do and no doubt you will be happy with your decision no matter what the final deal and no matter what the condition of the vehicle.

I think you may be a little bit but you are a good guy. You have put up with a lot of negativity here and dealt with it in a VERY classy way. IMO, you are just the kind of guy who should own a MB S600.

Take care of you new baby,

Keith
Old 01-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope things turn out well for you, and it was very nice talking to you.

As someone that buys over 20 600, 65, 55, and other AMG cars per year, I would tell you to immediately forget the car based on your original description of the car's cosmetic and mechanical condition/codes stored.

As I tell all my clients, buying the car is merely the first part of the cost of owning a 600. You have to buy the best car you can afford, and to pay $22K+ for a car that's as you describe is too much. Your inspection will undoubtedly uncover additional problems.

You need to find a better car for the same money, or pay significantly less for that car.

If I can help just let me know.

Bruce
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 S600
I am the very proud owner of a very gently used 2004 S600 that had just over 60K on it when I picked it up in November. It has the very rare Everest Green exterior with the cream interior and it is absolutely Gorgeous!!!! It also has some of the more rare options such as AMG sport package, rear A/C seats, rear side window shades, front pulse/massage seats with dynamic side bolsters and even has the retrofit bluetooth cell puck installed. The only major option it doesn't have is the Distronic adaptive cruise control. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

I found it on Cars.com at a dealership in Atlanta Georgia called Merlin Auto Group. I was able to negotiate the price down to $24k and believe me that was a steal! Not only was this baby very well cared for with a complete and clean carfax, the tires and brakes were replaced just before I picked it up. After hearing that I was flying all the way from California and intended to drive it back the owner, Adam Merlin sent it into the local MB dealership to get it completely looked over. They did all of the pertinent maintenance and even found a front bushing that wasn't bad but looked worn so they replaced it and did all of the other work on their own dime, $1,240 worth. They even filled the tank with gas.

Like many of you out there, I fell in love with this body style and the intoxicating power of the Twin Turbo V12. However I was very nervous about the potential repair costs, still am. But that hasn't stopped me to, on occasion, "drive-it-like-I-stole-it". God willing I will have many more years of thrills in this car.

Take care,

Brian
Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

That's a great story, green is very rare on these cars.

If you plan on keeping it, I would strongly recommend a warranty. You could have a very well maintained reliable one. But the odds are against having a low ownership cost with these cars, especially as they get up there in milage.

Bruce
Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 S600
Cool

Originally Posted by Becks Imports

If you plan on keeping it, I would strongly recommend a warranty. You could have a very well maintained reliable one. But the odds are against having a low ownership cost with these cars, especially as they get up there in milage.

Bruce
Bruce, I agree and would love to get a warranty however I have checked with at least a half dozen aftermarket warranty companies and as soon as I say S600 they say, "is that the one with the V12?" I say yes and they say, sorry we don't cover that in California. Other states with the same car they will cover but for some reason they won't if it is in California.

Just one more thing to put on the things that are "Screwed Up" side of the California list which is significantly longer than the "Great Things" side of the list.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by S600Keith
Hey Howard,
I agree with MBNUT. You are decidedly a glass-half-full kinda guy.
Take care of you new baby,

Keith
Thanks, Keith.

I'd like to be prepared for the worst but always hope for the best.
I've printed all the items need to be checked in addition to Mercedes inspection program. Will wait and see the outcome on Monday.

All the best.

I hope things turn out well for you, and it was very nice talking to you.
If I can help just let me know.

Bruce
Thank you so much Bruse for your support.

Originally Posted by 04S600AMG
I am the very proud owner of a very gently used 2004 S600 that had just over 60K on it when I picked it up in November.
Take care,

Brian
Thanks Brian for sharing your purchase experience.

Congratulation you have got a great S600 in a perfect condition with a super good price.
Your dealer is so professional and I will be expecting the same from mine.

I wish I were in states. But fairly speaking people here are very nice too.

Best regards and wish your S600 will serve your family well for years.

Howard

Last edited by haoz129; 01-05-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Question

One more thing need some insiders knowledge to confirm.

As mentioned in previous post there is another strange thing happened when I test drove the car:
I had few occasion can't start the engine when I am not in the driver seat. The engine cranked normally, just didn't start (I was using the SmartKey by turning Starter Switch). But as soon as I seated back, the car did it effortlessly then sang happily. Not sure this is a symptom of another issue or these cars are really smart to know where the driver is.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The next strange thing that will happen with that car, if you buy it, is the odd feeling you'll have of your wallet flying open all by itself and emptying out each time you approach the car.

You should move on and find a different car. If this stuff is all happening BEFORE you buy it, on simple test drives, imagine what's going to happen AFTER you buy it.

Bruce
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by haoz129

As mentioned in previous post there is another strange thing happened when I test drove the car:
I had few occasion can't start the engine when I am not in the driver seat. The engine cranked normally, just didn't start (I was using the SmartKey by turning Starter Switch). But as soon as I seated back, the car did it effortlessly then sang happily. Not sure this is a symptom of another issue or these cars are really smart to know where the driver is.

Please advice.

Thanks.

Howard
I do not have a S600 but I do have a S55 and I think they would act the same way and yes my car will start without me being in the drivers seat. Up here in Maine I start my car all the time to let it warm up a bit and I just reach in and fire her up with no issues. Hope this helps.
Johan
Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 AM

S430, SL500

Please advice.

Thanks.

Howard
That is definitely not normal, it should start after the first turn of the smartkey regardless, every time.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey Howard
So let me just be straight forward and blunt about it. This car you are looking at is a huge POS! I am not trying to be a negative nillie or trying to start anything but this car is a rusty pile of junk that needs a ton of work. I know you REALLY want a S600 and you will find the right one but this car is not the one. Good luck.
Johan
Old 01-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up

The next strange thing that will happen with that car......
Bruce
, Sure, it'll be very hard holding my wallet and keep the car running.

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
I do not have a S600 but I do have a S55 and I think they would act the same way and yes my car will start without me being in the drivers seat. Up here in Maine I start my car all the time to let it warm up a bit and I just reach in and fire her up with no issues. Hope this helps.
Johan
Hey Howard
So let me just be straight forward and blunt about it.
Good luck.
Johan
, Thanks Johan.

The information is very helpful and I may need to look for another one.

Originally Posted by Jezza
That is definitely not normal, it should start after the first turn of the smartkey regardless, every time.
, Thanks Jezza.

It's very clear that it's another problem this S600 has.

Best wishes to all !

Howard
Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM

'03 S600 (w/ fake AMG badge, I think)

Bruce
Bruce,

I've had my S600 ('03, 74K miles) for a bit under a year and would really like to get a warranty for it. My initial search made it appear as though it was either prohibitively expensive or just flat unavailable. It seems I've missed something.

To whom would you look for such a warranty?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM

S600
Hey Howard
So let me just be straight forward and blunt about it. This car you are looking at is a huge POS! I am not trying to be a negative nillie or trying to start anything but this car is a rusty pile of junk that needs a ton of work. I know you REALLY want a S600 and you will find the right one but this car is not the one. Good luck.
Johan
This does sound quite negative but Howard is taking every bit of this type of criticism in stride and VERY positively. Howard has my respect for his positive attitude regarding the negativity and abuse (not that I am accusing DRTYLNDY of being abusive because I am NOT!). I applaud your reserve, Howard.

I would like to add a bit of information to my previous critique and advice. Howard, I just found my S600 and took delivery from a guy in Texas on Thanksgiving weekend (I am in So California). It took me over 8 months to find this car. I had talked, emailed, and negotiated with people in Florida, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Georgia, California, and Michigan before I got what I wanted and closed the deal. If you are patient, the right car will come along. We all know how special this car is and every S-class owner knows about the charisma, character, and mystique of this S600. It is a world class automobile and, albeit expensive, a GREAT value and adrenaline generator. Keep at it and keep us posted how things are going. If you do end up getting this one, we look forward to monitoring your progress in bringing this one back to life.

Your attitude is rare to find on a public forum bulletin board and is refreshing. Most people would get all offended and butt-hurt at all the negativity generated on this thread. You are a welcome addition to this forum.

Keith

Last edited by S600Keith; 01-07-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by S600Keith
This does sound quite negative but Howard is taking every bit of this type of criticism in stride and VERY positively.
I would like to add a bit of information to my previous critique and advice.

Keith
, Thanks again, Keith.

Don't worry, I know all the negative responses are against the deal, none is for me.
Thinking in another way, all members are pretty positive to me as they keep reading and replying my post from which I have already benefit a lot. Truth and feeling was told base on everyone's priceless experience. I really appreciate all of them, especially to you.

I did think just buy this S600 and make the deal happen.Because I thought few weeks was already long enough for purchasing a car. But knowing you spent months to find your dream car, now I realize I need to be more patient. And actually I won't be need a second car until June.

For sure I will keep posting and updating status with my experience as I already think I'm part of this big family.

Best regards.

Howard

Last edited by haoz129; 01-07-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM

'03 S600 (w/ fake AMG badge, I think)
, Thanks again, Keith.

Don't worry, I know all the negative responses are against the deal, none is for me.
Thinking in another way, all members are pretty positive to me as they keep reading and replying my post from which I have already benefit a lot. Truth and feeling was told base on everyone's priceless experience. I really appreciate all of them, especially to you.

I did think just buy this S600 and make the deal happen.Because I thought few weeks was already long enough for purchasing a car. But knowing you spent months to find your dream car, now I realize I need to be more patient. And actually I won't be need a second car until June.

For sure I will keep posting and updating status with my experience as I already think I'm part of this big family.

Best regards.

Howard
If nothing else, we all think you have great taste in cars.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 AM

S600
Originally Posted by Chris250
If nothing else, we all think you have great taste in cars.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 Carrera4
It takes me at least 6 month to find a car every time I but one. I average 2 years per car so far. Hopping to hang on to current for 4. Anyway, every time I was so eager to get one I either missed out on it or someone managed to talk me out of it. And in the end it worked out to the best. I know you really want this car and I understand, but as everyone is telling you to run, you should. Just keep looking and something will come up and you will never look back. Take it from someone that experiences it every time.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 Carrera4
Stupid post button got in the way...
as example from my last car purchase. I really wanted 05 or 06 s600 after my 04 s 500. I was looking for one all over the country and missed a couple that made me ceeet mad and disappointed. My wife kept saying why am I looking for same car as I already have(basically). She talked me in to looking at 07 and up for new body style and once I found the right combo I can't imagine owning the 600 I wanted originally.
All I'm trying to reiterate is keep looking and right one will come along.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM

opposite-lock...
reading all your search stories makes me feel kinda (kinda) bad!

daaaaaaaaaaamn did I score on mine

Bruce floats the 'concept' to me (S600 vs everything else I was considering) on a Wed this past November.

The car's running @ Manheim in FL that Thurs, a blk/blk 52k '05 Sport with heated rear seats & keyless go. It no-sale's Thurs and we win it in the Fri re-run.

It's the cleanest one he's seen of the dozens he's come across in his efforts. Great history of repair via VMI, not a ding/dent/stone chip to be found, perfect interior, solid, unmolested, complete. CPO'd thru 4/12 but that got nuked in the title xfer.

sorry guys 8-)

I never luck out like this - I've never ever bought a car sight unseen before... and now I've bought two from Bruce w/in 3mos and they've both been perfect (I've know B like 10+yrs).

Howard, I agree w/ Keith that you've got a great attitude. DO find another, you deserve it. Looking forward to having you on-board here w/ us all and to your contributions...

...***with another car!***

8-)

Call Bruce again.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
Howard is the man!!! this is a one of the best threads, alot of you with 600s have shared your purchase experience with us, im actually very excited for my next mercedes and just like malahhaor, wifey doesnt understand why i want the same exact model of car but different engine? she also noted that im an electronic freak and i drive slow anyway, so a 07+ would be perfect with all the new features..

i know one things thats for sure!! awaiting the day i get back to my home town seattle and sending an email to Bruce!!! (ive been searching and searching, i give up!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.