S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Keep Both Cowl Areas Clean

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Keep Both Cowl Areas Clean

Although it has been discussed at length to keep the RH cowl vent area of the W220 clear of leaves and such, it is important to pay occasional attention to the LH cowl area. Refer to the attached pictures from my S55. Ironically, my RH cowl vent was quite clean while the LH side was full of leaves.

There is a small drain hole in the bottom of the LH cowl area. You can see it now exposed in the 'after' picture. While this LH drain hole may or may not become clogged, the perpetually damp leaves and debris cannot be good for the sheet metal in that area. So when you clean out the RH Cowl Area, don't forget to clean out the LH side as well. Also, leaves and debris get under the fuse box, so use a low pressure air gun to blow those out. Just an FYI.

Cheers,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Keep Both Cowl Areas Clean-w220-lh-cowl-area-before-clean.jpg   Keep Both Cowl Areas Clean-w220-lh-cowl-area-after-clean.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
I never ever (ever) set off w/o first removing every leave from the entire car - no joke

Coming from Audi's and just getting this, I was disheartened to learn these suffer the same CRAPPY DRAINAGE ISSUES as my //S8 did - and that was pretty bad.

On the Audi, you simply circumsize and / or remove a few rubber drain nipples or donkeyd!ck$ and then keep the leaves off the car and you were fine. Figure the same here - leave a leaf on the car and drive - it WILL get forced 'somewhere' and it WILL haunt you.

With my 930 gone now tho... I've reclaimed my garage! Leaves begone! 8-)
Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
The irony in my case was that the infamous RH cowl vent for the cabin is pristine. All the darned leaves were in the LH cowl area. Go figure.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They must grow left-handed trees in Texas.

Bruce
Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
I never ever (ever) set off w/o first removing every leave from the entire car - no joke

+1 i never leave without pulling every last leave off the car and even pop the trunk to get those out too and if a leave falls under the arm to the wiper blade i pop the hood too
Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Why do german cars do this? I can pour a bucket of leaves and mud on my american cars and it wont matter
The following users liked this post:
MadArgy (04-10-2023)
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
American cars? What are those?

8-)

dunno why, other than more sophisticated (read: prone to failure) designs

Good to hear I'm not the only Leaf **** heh heh - is soooo for good reason tho.

My //S8 had the center scuttle box drains clog and it filled w/ water - I only knew b/c my blower motor would cavitate in the water under cornering, and you could hear it / it would spritz water @ yer face out of the centervents.

Never again!

I was lucky tho, those too suffer from water racing back/forth under the floors, sunroof drains, etc. I've read the W220 hooror stories here about that - manymanymany more systems to get nuked in process / muchmuchmuch more $$$...

...NO THANKS
Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
so i figured hey i live in san antonio and MB-Dude lives down the street and speaking of leaves, i just went downstairs and checked - both my "cowl" areas are like "bowel" areas with leaves.. some leaves from wa, found some tidbits of baby pine cones as well. cleanse performed so most is clean now but i wish they made this tool in a smaller form:

remedy to those damn LH and RH leaves across the states!!