anyone here switched S to E??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
The seats aren't that comfortable, it's quiet yes, but the interior is squeaky in alot of places. The suspension is nice, but not great. I have driven in smoother cars. I love my car, but there are alot better newer choices out there.. I always buy earlier of the model year, I can't justify spending the money on a later year model with almost the same items as an earlier one. Even with everything I have done to my car I am still in it at only $10k, and it's got brand new tires, brakes, headlights, new system, new tint, new Airmatic, suspension, tune up, trans service, etc.
The seats aren't that comfortable??? My car is like riding in a couch.

I have some slight creaking in the interior while cold, but after that, no squeaks at all. Are there smoother cars out there, sure, but not many.

If you always buy earlier models because they have "almost the same item", you end up with early year glitches and quality control issues.

Once again, don't use your car as an example for the breed.

Finally, all that new stuff and you spent $10k, and you're complaining? I'm not sure what the hell else you want for $10k. Jesus.

Originally Posted by bigigg
The fact that you took the time to go look up some stupid video on youtube shows how much of a tool you are..
whose the bigger tool, the guy who finds the video or the guy who stars in it? BTW, is that really you? lol

Originally Posted by bigigg
Yea my new car is worth 20k in 2 years?..Thats still gonna be twice as much as both your cars combined..
what kind of pathetic weiner measuring contest is this. None of us here are driving new Mulsannes. You drive a 60k E-class...BFD...no one is impressed...trust me.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
HAHA no thats not me.. im not that big
Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Originally Posted by Oliverk
The seats aren't that comfortable??? My car is like riding in a couch.

I have some slight creaking in the interior while cold, but after that, no squeaks at all. Are there smoother cars out there, sure, but not many.

If you always buy earlier models because they have "almost the same item", you end up with early year glitches and quality control issues.

Once again, don't use your car as an example for the breed.

Finally, all that new stuff and you spent $10k, and you're complaining? I'm not sure what the hell else you want for $10k. Jesus.

whose the bigger tool, the guy who finds the video or the guy who stars in it? BTW, is that really you? lol

what kind of pathetic weiner measuring contest is this. None of us here are driving new Mulsannes. You drive a 60k E-class...BFD...no one is impressed...trust me.
No idea where you got I was complaining. I am happy I got what I got for 10k. I love my car, but I don't think it's everything this thread is saying it is. I realize I shouldn't use my car as an end all example, and I am not. I have test driven ALOT of them, newer, and older. I decided to save some money and pick up the one I did rather than a newer one, as I didn't notice anything on the newer models I couldn't live without.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by SFBIGBODY415
What you gotta keep in mind is that s class is mbz's flagship so they made these car's <sic> to perfection.
Don't kid yourself, they aren't. Don't get me wrong I think for the money the W220 is a superb car but these cars weren't from a time when MB was doing the very best they could, they were doing the very best to build a car they could sell at S Class prices for the cheapest amount, particularly in the early years of the 220. A quick glance at this forum is enough to tell you that...
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Fraser
Don't kid yourself, they aren't. Don't get me wrong I think for the money the W220 is a superb car but these cars weren't from a time when MB was doing the very best they could, they were doing the very best to build a car they could sell at S Class prices for the cheapest amount, particularly in the early years of the 220. A quick glance at this forum is enough to tell you that...
agreed on the early models, but to be clear, even 221s are far from perfection.

In fact, perfection is a goal that will never be reached.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
agreed on the early models, but to be clear, even 221s are far from perfection.
Indeed, because the way the S Class range is tiered they don't try their hardest on the lower end models and I think the non-designo, non-600, and non-65 AMGs feel a bit cheap inside. Sure it feels well screwed together but it's not the best MB could do, and IMO that's something that shouldn't be on the flagship model. Little things like the keypad cover on the lower end ones not being made of wood. With Bentley and the like you don't have anything like that distinction.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Fraser
Indeed, because the way the S Class range is tiered they don't try their hardest on the lower end models and I think the non-designo, non-600, and non-65 AMGs feel a bit cheap inside. Sure it feels well screwed together but it's not the best MB could do, and IMO that's something that shouldn't be on the flagship model. Little things like the keypad cover on the lower end ones not being made of wood. With Bentley and the like you don't have anything like that distinction.
oh agreed completely.

I can not go back to an S class without leather dash/door panels, etc. This severely limits my choices.

The cloth headliner and vinyl/plastics in the standard cars doesn't do it for me at all. Forget about the E and C classes...the dashes on those cars look absolutely miserably cheap.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
oh agreed completely.

I can not go back to an S class without leather dash/door panels, etc. This severely limits my choices.

The cloth headliner and vinyl/plastics in the standard cars doesn't do it for me at all. Forget about the E and C classes...the dashes on those cars look absolutely miserably cheap.
I agree one hundred percent, infact I would rip my whole dash and door panels out right this very minute if I had leather wrapped replacements, and infact I actively look for these at my friends German junk yard. Those in my opinion absolutely make the S-class interior and really, really take away from that "How can we get S-class prices for cheap equipment" feel I get from these cars. My opinion on everyone saying things like, especially the older years is this; I don't see that at all besides the exterior changes. The interior on the S430 and alot of S500's are just cheap. The S600/Designo are just a million times better, and yes, the earlier cars didn't have the nicest Designo, but the models seem to make more of a difference then year.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM

opposite-lock...
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Those in my opinion absolutely make the S-class interior and really, really take away from that "How can we get S-class prices for cheap equipment" feel I get from these cars... The interior on the S430 and alot of S500's are just cheap. The S600/Designo are just a million times better, and yes, the earlier cars didn't have the nicest Designo, but the models seem to make more of a difference then year.
This is precisely what was the final swaying factor in my trying to deliberate betwixt if I wanted an S55 (a "real" AMG - whatever) or the S600.

In the end, being swaddled in awesomness presided - I couldn't stomach the car w/o it, it's not that the regular interiors are bad it's that they're just not up to the rest of the caliber of the class of car.

To the Bigggeeeggeg guy or whatever - wow, do you listen to yourself? You're obviously mature enough to be able to afford a new MB... maybe time to think about acting like it? I'm aghast. Pretty sad / pathetic comments and stance, etc. Why are you even in the 220 forum anyway?

Shootroll!

Chapel Hill... holy manifesto. Run out to the pharmacy for your medz refill 8-)
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 AM

'01 ML320, '03 s430, '06 Cadillac STS 4
For me switching from an S to an E would be like switching from shoes to sneakers. I don't know about anyone else but I don't live in a gym and never intend to.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM

2007 CLS550
Chapel Hill... holy manifesto. Run out to the pharmacy for your medz refill 8-)[/quote]

You got me. Guess that's just the lawyer in me. If I'm gonna offer up an opinion, I'm gonna plead my case (wonder if I can send the bill to the OP?). But, I should remember that this is the internet, so I should leave it at, "The S-class is MB's flagship, so it's 10X better than any crappy E-class, and only a Bentley is better. I was going to buy a new Bentley Mulsanne, but I've gotten my 00' S430 just how I want it now, the ordering time was too long, and the mileage sucks. I have more money than the two guys that posted before me, and their cars are g!y."

Actually, the night I wrote that post, I think I did make an evening run to the pharmacy in my CLS550, which I don't drive too much anymore since I don't have a child seat in it, to pick up my wife's bronchitis meds, or some such thing, and I was reminded how much better it is than the S500 in nearly every way, but for space.