S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

how to make car sit level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 s500
how to make car sit level

So just recently I purchased a 2000 s500. the car is not leaking air, it holds it attitude all weekend, and the pump runs minumly at startup. however the right side sits about 3/4" lower then the left at the front and back. I was wondering if there were sensors on each wheel that i needed to adjust on the right side so it would raise the car higher, or how i can go about this. After searching on this forum and reading many threads it seemed most with this same problem had leaking issues, and mine does not seem to.
Thank you for any input.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 AM

W220
If you are 100% sure the struts are functioning as designed, lift the front end up and observe the mount of the ride height sensors on both sides. Perhaps on the lowered side, the airmatic height level sensor or maybe even the strut was mounted incorrectly. Observe the mount of the height sensor carefully, the difference may not be obvious at first look, however this is a very common problem when installing new ait struts.

I have had a similar problem and a kind gentleman at Arnott suspension products have reached out and pointed to this key mistake that is very common which was the reason to my mislevel. By then I have already purchased and installed a new height sensor, but that was not the problem. Thanks to the forums I was able to reasolve this problem with no additional costs!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM

2000 s500
Thank you very much. I will look very closely. The air susp. Was replaced ( in the front) about a year before I purchased it and it has been like this since I first saw it. Thank you for the heads up.