S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Tires Rubbing -- need insight/suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 S500
Tires Rubbing -- need insight/suggestions

Has anyone out there had any problems with tire rubbing from 20s? I have a 00 S500 with 20" Lorinser LM5s. Im having problems with the rears (mainly the passenger side rear) which are 20 x 10. I recently had my fenders rolled and still have the rubbing -- no improvement. When they did the fender-rolling I think the Body Shops main concern was the metal on the fender lip and I am having no problems with that area. I have rubbed my hand in the inside of the fenders and it looks like it is rubbing in the inside toward the back against the rubber lining. When I rub that area with my fingers I get alot of tire residue. Is it a bad idea to cut out that rubber lining to allow more clearance? One other idea I have is that can I switch from the 275/30s to a different tire-would that make a difference? Anyone had any experience with this situation? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever wheel/tire combination you have you must not exceed the maximum tire diameter or the maximum tire width. Sounds like you have exceeded the max diameter and when the car suspension auto adjusts or takes a bump your tires scrape. I dont know all the math but on the net you can find how to calculate a wheels diameter from its 2xx/xx R1x size. Use the AMG wheel sizes from 00- S Classs as you starting point to find the max diameter/width or an MB dealer. You can have 20s on the car but you have to make sure the wheel can fit a tire that has a low enough profile to not exceed the max diameter and that the tires that fit the wheel do not exceed the max width. Try here first http://www.sumitomotire.com/tiretips.asp You can get the tire catalog here http://www.sumitomotire.com/SumitomoCat_bars_blue.pdf Use the 16 stock tire size and in the catalog and when you find it you will see what the diameter is. You can use that as a guide since if the wheel diameter is exceed your speedometer will be off. Look for 20'' tires, if they have them, and see if they fit you wheels. If not the first page tells how to calculate tire sizes. In the meantime you may want to use the raise car button on the dash to give you another inch of clearance, the drawback is at highway speeds it automatically cancels itself.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:18 PM

2001 S 600-sold, 2004 Hamann 745LI, 2002 Lexus Sc430, 2000 MB S430, 2004 GMC Yukon Denali
Tires Rubbing

I also have 20s on my S class and was having the same problem. The way i ended up solving it was trading in my 20x10s for 20x9 all the way around. Then go with 255 35 20 tires. The only problem is if you have a body kit those tires may rub some on the front depending on the brand. I have been really happy with the continentals. They are not rated the best but they have shown me the best results. Hope this helps out some..
Old 07-07-2003, 07:27 PM

2000 S500
Thank You both for the suggestions. I have an idea (a suggestion off the other M Benz enthusiasts site) in mind so I will let you know how it turns out. Thank Again
Old 07-07-2003, 11:13 PM

Thats true for the tires, I have continental extreme contacts from tirerack, darn near everybody who got them loves them and for a price better that lessor performers. Rated #2 under the pirelli nero tires which cost more. That made me try them and yes, they provide excellent handling and grip. If they have your size, get em.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem on the passenger rear using normal AMG 18" staggered set. It only happens at freeway speed when I hit a dip, but it can't be good for the tire. I'd like to hear your idea, dmike.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:21 AM

2000 S500
Thanks for the info on the tires. Im actually due for some new tires within the next couple months.

Jaeger, check out this link. There are a couple threads. The one from Annsonn is helpful to me since he has the same car and type of wheels. Yeah, I have the same thing-mainly happens on the highway at dips driving at a fast speed. Ive gotten where I know the roads/areas that are a problem so I end up switching lanes to avoid the dip or I slow down--total pain in the ***.

http://gallery.mbnz.org/forums/table.asp?id=2